British Speedway Forum

Cardiff 24

18 hours ago, Blue Groove said:
  • if riders are tied for a position in a Speedway GP round, the countback system is used, with the rider registering the most race wins ranked highest.
  • If they are tied on race wins, seconds, then thirds and fourth places are taken into consideration – with a fourth place deemed better than a retirement or disqualification.
  • If this does not resolve the tie, the rider who scored the most points in the race or races when the tied riders met is placed highest.
  • If the riders are still deadlocked, the rider with the highest FIM ranking out of the tied riders is placed highest

Can't be bothered looking back through the scorecard, they must've reached option 4 by the sounds of it.

Why can’t they just have an additional race off in these situations? 

3 hours ago, Noodles said:

What like the mad dash for SON tickets 🤣

You may not be interested in museums, hotels and pubs but plenty are and make it a weekend.  

Manchester itself isnt a problem its got more museums, pubs, hotels, restauraunts, and a myriad of other things to do, as for the speedway side are,nt there other GP,s held in stadiums with similar capacities? having to put in a temporary stand on the third and fourth bend and the cost of recuperating that cost is a problem. As the council were adamant a condition of the stadium being built was to host world events could a perminent facility have been put in place on the third and fourth bends? Obviously its not required for league meetings but would have given the stadium that extra capacity without the hike in prices we saw for the SON. I always felt the stadium looks incomplete.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Manchester itself isnt a problem its got more museums, pubs, hotels, restauraunts, and a myriad of other things to do, as for the speedway side are,nt there other GP,s held in stadiums with similar capacities? having to put in a temporary stand on the third and fourth bend and the cost of recuperating that cost is a problem. As the council were adamant a condition of the stadium being built was to host world events could a perminent facility have been put in place on the third and fourth bends? Obviously its not required for league meetings but would have given the stadium that extra capacity without the hike in prices we saw for the SON. I always felt the stadium looks incomplete.

Comes across as 'half-built' on TV.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Manchester is a problem, it is not a tourist city and thats putting it nicely as I can.

Edited by eric i
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

The south stand was never completed and that was a bugbear for the initial promoters. When they stopped paying whilst awaiting a resolution the council with the assistance of Chapman, kicked them out. 

Still waiting for a completed south stand and the increased capacity it would give us. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, eric i said:

Manchester is a problem, it is not a tourist city and thats putting it nicely as I can.

Do a bit of googling as you’ll find that’s very much an incorrect assumption. 

Of all the UK cities outside our capital Manchester is the top destination for tourists. 

Having more than double the amount of hotel beds than Cardiff provided by many different operators, it is hoped more affordable rates would be available. Problem there though is with Manchester being so popular availability would be an issue. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ouch said:

Do a bit of googling as you’ll find that’s very much an incorrect assumption. 

Of all the UK cities outside our capital Manchester is the top destination for tourists. 

Having more than double the amount of hotel beds than Cardiff provided by many different operators, it is hoped more affordable rates would be available. Problem there though is with Manchester being so popular availability would be an issue. 

Liverpool is a far superior City to visit imo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chunky said:

If so, that's something new. Wembley was always packed, yet nobody went THERE for the racing...

Wembley produced good racing without the promoters needing to booby trap the surface to manufacture it

4 hours ago, eric i said:

Decent racing, excellent result. crowd looked similar to last year. Some cost saving measures on event promotion, parade and fireworks, but ticket prices are cheaper 🙂

Felt for Janowski, I don't like it coming down to ranking, I would prefer if it came down to qualifying time.  

The problem with that, is the rider out in track first usually has an advantage.

12 hours ago, racers and royals said:

We had an announcement on the 3rd October 2023 with the announcement of the GP riders and reserves for 2024. These are the rankings from 1 to 15 and the reserves 1 to 7. If you google GP reserve riders you will find the article on the Speedway GP website.

Thanks that clears it up a bit. I got the impression from the interview with Armando, said it was on last years world championship result which “nobody wanted to do it on.” So it seemed a little murky.

Either way I felt them saying one rider then another and that rider complains so it’s looked at again and changed was a farce and didn’t look good at all.

7 minutes ago, Debbi said:

Thanks that clears it up a bit. I got the impression from the interview with Armando, said it was on last years world championship result which “nobody wanted to do it on.” So it seemed a little murky.

Either way I felt them saying one rider then another and that rider complains so it’s looked at again and changed was a farce and didn’t look good at all.

I agree, Whatever the system they use to decide order it can't be hard to get a spreadsheet that can instantly give you the correct order.

Edited by eric i
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, eric i said:

Decent racing, excellent result. crowd looked similar to last year. Some cost saving measures on event promotion, parade and fireworks, but ticket prices are cheaper 🙂

Felt for Janowski, I don't like it coming down to ranking, I would prefer if it came down to qualifying time.  

Just watched a few heats today as missed last night.

Janowski and Lambert should have went through on the head to head results as they won 2 of the 3 head to heads.

By the way Martin was, I think it looks like he knew the FIM rules and that he was through.

That says to me that it was down to ranking between Martin and Dan with Dan being eliminated.

Was speaking to a mate who agreed with me that no way should Janowski have been eliminated as they qualified through option 5 (head to head results).

17 minutes ago, eric i said:

I agree, Whatever the system they use to decide order it can't be hard to get a spreadsheet that can instantly give you the correct order.

In this case it would not have been able to do it either, this was probably (don't know for sure) the first time this has happened and since they could not split all four "Rankings" were the only way to go. I agree with others though, a run off in this situation would have been the fairest thing to do.

20 minutes ago, andout said:

In this case it would not have been able to do it either, this was probably (don't know for sure) the first time this has happened and since they could not split all four "Rankings" were the only way to go. I agree with others though, a run off in this situation would have been the fairest thing to do.

If they are going to use 'Rankings' they could still have put that into spreadsheet calculations.

4 minutes ago, eric i said:

If they are going to use 'Rankings' they could still have put that into spreadsheet calculations.

For spread sheet calculations, see Embassy No 6 calculations :D