British Speedway Forum

Cardiff 24

17 minutes ago, Rob B said:

You won’t be getting tickets for Cardiff 2025 very soon as there is no contract for 2025.

Wrong, was announced in the stadium gp back at Cardiff in 2025, date and ticket details to follow soon, 30% discount for this year's ticket holders 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

I love the people on here saying they are glad they didn’t go. Yet all the people who did go seemed to enjoy themselves. Perhaps it’s just not quite the same on TV huh? 

I’d go to Cardiff but wouldn’t go to the event as it’s rubbish. Do a bit of shopping and visit the pub until it’s over. I’ll qualify that by saying I’m not a fan of gate’n’go whereas it’s the “thing” these days so I can understand most would enjoy it. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Blue Groove said:
  • if riders are tied for a position in a Speedway GP round, the countback system is used, with the rider registering the most race wins ranked highest.
  • If they are tied on race wins, seconds, then thirds and fourth places are taken into consideration – with a fourth place deemed better than a retirement or disqualification.
  • If this does not resolve the tie, the rider who scored the most points in the race or races when the tied riders met is placed highest.
  • If the riders are still deadlocked, the rider with the highest FIM ranking out of the tied riders is placed highest

Can't be bothered looking back through the scorecard, they must've reached option 4 by the sounds of it.

Vaculik should have missed out races when met.

40 minutes ago, Rob B said:

You won’t be getting tickets for Cardiff 2025 very soon as there is no contract for 2025.

They announced it tonight. 

21 minutes ago, ouch said:

I’d go to Cardiff but wouldn’t go to the event as it’s rubbish. Do a bit of shopping and visit the pub until it’s over. I’ll qualify that by saying I’m not a fan of gate’n’go whereas it’s the “thing” these days so I can understand most would enjoy it. 

Good, better seats for us! 

34 minutes ago, Neila said:

Wrong, was announced in the stadium gp back at Cardiff in 2025, date and ticket details to follow soon, 30% discount for this year's ticket holders 

Not quite though did they? They said goto the website to register for Cardiff 2025 tickets which is a bit different to tickets are on sale. 

I was stood behind a bloke at Birmingham on Monday night that was wearing an official 2022 SGP Tour t-shirt that had all the venues printed on the back... the last one said Oceania GP November 2022!

Great to witness a British 1,2 on the podium at Cardiff today , rarer than a white rhino that one. Congrats to Dan Bewley on his victory, chuffed for him following an inconsistent 24 series to date. Cardiff is a great place to hold this and the Principality Stadium a great venue. Need the hotels to stop their exorbitant pricing and help get the crowd levels back to where they were pre covid which will ease pressure on cost cutting measures.

Way too much negativity from some on here. No wonder the decline of what could be an even greater sport continues.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Kubera is ranked 13, Kvech 15

Can I ask a question as I know you are likely to have an answer. If the 3 riders Kubera, Wozniak, Kvech tied with:

Fricke (he is a reserve/injury replacement) but competeted in the GP’s last year so has a standing result from last year’ WC competition and the others don’t how would it pan out?

Bewley was seeded/given a wildcard to be back in the series again he competed last year so has a standing in the WC competition, how would that pan out?

I do wish Bewley would get himself a proper manager/mentor, a Pete Adams type or even Adams himself. The rest of the SGP field must be absolutely crapping themselves at just how good Dan Bewley can be. For me he's by some distance the most talented rider in the field, generally is always right up there or fastest in qualifying, gets through to a final and generally wins it, pressure doesn't seem to effect him, must have ice running through his veins... but inexplicably just goes missing from time to time, maybe he just needs somebody to focus his mind, I don't know. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, iainb said:

Not quite though did they? They said goto the website to register for Cardiff 2025 tickets which is a bit different to tickets are on sale. 

I was stood behind a bloke at Birmingham on Monday night that was wearing an official 2022 SGP Tour t-shirt that had all the venues printed on the back... the last one said Oceania GP November 2022!

Read what I said   Cardiff 2025    date and ticket sales to follow, early discount 30% nowhere did I mention a daye

39 minutes ago, iainb said:

I do wish Bewley would get himself a proper manager/mentor, a Pete Adams type or even Adams himself. The rest of the SGP field must be absolutely crapping themselves at just how good Dan Bewley can be. For me he's by some distance the most talented rider in the field, generally is always right up there or fastest in qualifying, gets through to a final and generally wins it, pressure doesn't seem to effect him, must have ice running through his veins... but inexplicably just goes missing from time to time, maybe he just needs somebody to focus his mind, I don't know. 

No pressure particularly as he had a warning on his back. He is so laid back but do we underestimate the effort he still puts in? I think he enjoys it which is the main thing

Glad me my daughter and friend decided last night to go today.Bought tickets and park and ride this morning during our 4 and a half hour journey and the rest was history.£20 a ticket upper tier,1st bend,excellent viewing,cheaper than a league meeting with 8 extra races with the world's top riders.That is value for money.A British 1,2 dont think that has happened ever in a GP series,has it?

• Like 6

Decent GP, and great to see a British 1-2. Th crowd looked a similar level to the last couple of years, so this looks like the new normal now. 

It can't help having tracks closing down all the time. A lot of fans from the likes of Swindon, Wolves, Peterborough and so on are probably lost over time. Swindon, for example, used to put on a coach.

Cardiff is still the best place to hold it though. I think most people can see that. It's only the Belle Vue Freedom Fighters that seem to be resisting this. Belle Vue is obviously a better track, but it's outdoors and  the crowd for the SON doesn't exactly encourage change.

I don't know if crowds can ever get back up to the previous levels. I saw a comment on the Digital Spy forum recently in a discussion on speedway, where someone said they used to enjoy watching it but have lost touch with what is going on now since it stopped being on Sky. I think that was a bit of a shark jump for the sport when that was lost.

I'm sure Dan Bewley could be a World Champion if he can retain a level of consistency. He certainly has the skills!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Great to see 2 English lads on the top 2 steps of the podium of the circus.

Not seen since the days of Mike Lee and DJ in 1980 !  PC and Simmo did it in 1976.

Will England ever achieve a 1-2-3 as they did in 1949 with  TomTom Jack Parker and Louis Lawson ?? 

They race under the banner Team GB so to answer your question no - England won’t achieve a 1-2-3.

7 hours ago, Debbi said:

Can I ask a question as I know you are likely to have an answer. If the 3 riders Kubera, Wozniak, Kvech tied with:

Fricke (he is a reserve/injury replacement) but competeted in the GP’s last year so has a standing result from last year’ WC competition and the others don’t how would it pan out?

Bewley was seeded/given a wildcard to be back in the series again he competed last year so has a standing in the WC competition, how would that pan out?

We had an announcement on the 3rd October 2023 with the announcement of the GP riders and reserves for 2024. These are the rankings from 1 to 15 and the reserves 1 to 7. If you google GP reserve riders you will find the article on the Speedway GP website.

7 hours ago, Neila said:

Read what I said   Cardiff 2025    date and ticket sales to follow, early discount 30% nowhere did I mention a daye

... or indeed a day, you did say @Rob B was wrong though. I've heard from a few more reliable sources that this year was the last of a deal signed by previous rights holders IMG. Generally in the past the date for the next event has been announced at the event or the next day, not a goto the website and register your interest statement. It sounds very far from signed and sealed to me.

5 hours ago, Grachan said:

Decent GP, and great to see a British 1-2. Th crowd looked a similar level to the last couple of years, so this looks like the new normal now. 

It can't help having tracks closing down all the time. A lot of fans from the likes of Swindon, Wolves, Peterborough and so on are probably lost over time. Swindon, for example, used to put on a coach.

Cardiff is still the best place to hold it though. I think most people can see that. It's only the Belle Vue Freedom Fighters that seem to be resisting this. Belle Vue is obviously a better track, but it's outdoors and  the crowd for the SON doesn't exactly encourage change.

I don't know if crowds can ever get back up to the previous levels. I saw a comment on the Digital Spy forum recently in a discussion on speedway, where someone said they used to enjoy watching it but have lost touch with what is going on now since it stopped being on Sky. I think that was a bit of a shark jump for the sport when that was lost.

I'm sure Dan Bewley could be a World Champion if he can retain a level of consistency. He certainly has the skills!

Not a bad crowd considering the lack of promotion for the event. I think a lot of what you say stands up, undoubtedly the move away from the UK's "mainstream" sports channels hasn't helped.

Interestingly there does seem to be a different demographic that attends the GP, many Polish fans still, even though they have Warsaw but also I do notice how many young people attend the Cardiff GP, many, many people in their early to mid 20's and who can blame them it's a very cheap day out... it just seems to be the old fart complaining brigade that stays away 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

... or indeed a day, you did say @Rob B was wrong though. I've heard from a few more reliable sources that this year was the last of a deal signed by previous rights holders IMG. Generally in the past the date for the next event has been announced at the event or the next day, not a goto the website and register your interest statement. It sounds very far from signed and sealed to me.

It's never been announced at the event. Usually announced the Monday after the event but last year they asked you to register interest for 2024 and they are doing again this year.