British Speedway Forum

Interval Attractions

Beirao

Best bet is to do something with the fans during the interval where they could potentially win something, tickets to the next meeting or something like that.

cuts down on paying for anything else and depending on what it is, keeps the fans in the crowd entertained 

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Wasn't the interval after the main meeting in the period that is generally being discussed ?

Quite possibly, but in those days (I'm talking mid-to-late-70's here), I seem to remember, a lot of people used to stick around, because it was a "proper" second-half, with all the riders from the main meeting involved. 

10 hours ago, StevePark said:

Quite possibly, but in those days (I'm talking mid-to-late-70's here), I seem to remember, a lot of people used to stick around, because it was a "proper" second-half, with all the riders from the main meeting involved. 

I used to stay on and watch the second halves. At Oxford during the early to middle seventies we were spoilt dure to our tie up with sister tracks Eastbourne and Peterborough  where many of their riders would contest the second half. Great days!

21 hours ago, therefused said:

do any of those things 'promote speedway'?

Yes, because it creates publicity before the meeting and increases the attendance at the meeting. If it didn't do either, then I would have thought that Ian Thomas wouldn't have booked any interval attractions.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chunky said:

Riding for them?

I'd have had Stan in my team but I don't fancy your chances with Olly. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, False dawn said:

I'd have had Stan in my team but I don't fancy your chances with Olly. :D

If he gated, he wouldn't be easy to pass!

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2024 at 11:23 AM, bigdave said:

Yes, because it creates publicity before the meeting and increases the attendance at the meeting. If it didn't do either, then I would have thought that Ian Thomas wouldn't have booked any interval attractions.

i cant imagine it made much different to attendance whatsoever. 

On 1/28/2024 at 9:55 AM, spinkox said:

Long before any of our time - Bristol used to have Laurel and Hardy.

Can't remember Hardy riding for Bristol ?

Dave Hardy | Speedway riders, history and results (proboards.com)

but Olle did in 1953 

Olle Nygren | Speedway riders, history and results (proboards.com)

Edited by piston197

I recall these attractions,   always appreciated them as part of the overall entertainment, even if some of them weren't that great it was part of the promoters attempts to make it a fun evening out for the family. Anyone recall the end of season fireworks. As regards my experience- me and my mates would go to the Newport County  Supporters Club at Somerton Park  after the main event and sink a couple of Whitbread's Trophy Beer -then go watch the remaining riders - second halfers (in Newport's case Alan Jones , Peter Harris , Ian Terrar, etc etc). Seing Bob Hughes become  a regular team member, Fred Powell(formerly of St. Austell). That made it an all round great evening.  I wish I could go bak in time to those great days.

riders,, rider of the night final

9 minutes ago, norbold said:

Talking of end of season fireworks reminds me that the main attraction at any end of season meeting where Johnnie Hoskins was promoter was burning his hat!

Do they still have the end-of-season festivities like they used to? We used to go armed with water bombs, flour bombs, and raw eggs...

Tbh and maybe i missed it, but Wimbledon's end of season, usually the Laurels was pretty tame apart fom the meeting-wise. It was mainly just the meeting and then fireworks from memory. Hackey and Len Silver on the other hand was a 'good show' and well worth crossing the river for. Len was a real promoter and sadly Maido wasn't

Edited by iris123

On 1/26/2024 at 11:23 AM, bigdave said:

Just re-reading Ian Thomas's book and as you say he was a great advocate and it generated much interest and publicity.