British Speedway Forum

SGB Championship 2024 Confirmed Signings

On 2/17/2024 at 2:34 PM, Ghosty said:

Can someone tel me what points are available for Plymouth & Workington to complete their 2024 squads.

With the obvious rider shortage for the 2024 Championship who was the mathematical genius that set the points limit.

If there's a rider shortage then having a low limit makes sense, means clubs have to use NL riders to compete. If the limit is higher, the richest clubs can pick more heat leaders & weaker clubs can't compete & we get another league of the haves & have nots like last year.

This year's limit seems to have worked well, Plymouth had a team (till an injury occured) and there are plenty sub 6.5 riders for Workington to choose from.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

If there's a rider shortage then having a low limit makes sense, means clubs have to use NL riders to compete. If the limit is higher, the richest clubs can pick more heat leaders & weaker clubs can't compete & we get another league of the haves & have nots like last year.

This year's limit seems to have worked well, Plymouth had a team (till an injury occured) and there are plenty sub 6.5 riders for Workington to choose from.

That's as maybe, but are the riders available wanting an exorbitant amount, or maybe even the riders aren't suitable (for whatever reason)? There could be a whole host of reasons why they haven't signed a seventh rider.

13 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm not sure we won't this year....there is a distinct top five and bottom four IMO, can see Berwick, Worky, Edinburgh and Plymouth losing at home to the other five quite a bit. Time will tell.

On 2/20/2024 at 11:41 AM, Bagpuss said:

I'm not sure we won't this year....there is a distinct top five and bottom four IMO, can see Berwick, Worky, Edinburgh and Plymouth losing at home to the other five quite a bit. Time will tell.

Of course everyone has differing opinions, but I think Berwick look a strong team at home this year.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

• Phil pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Don't all teams have to submit their full 1-7 by 1st March?!

I've never heard that one before.   Don't think it's the case. 

If it were the case, a club would need only to make up any seven today, but change it before their first meeting when their preferred septet was agreed and available....... 

Edited by crescent girl

55 minutes ago, lewy said:

No

Seriously, I thought they had to be submitted to BSPL to be ratified, with riders. averages confirmed before any fixtures take place, ie 1st March..

At the moment each club has only made 'team announcements'!

Edited by Skidder1

27 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Seriously, I thought they had to be submitted to BSPL to be ratified, with riders. averages confirmed before any fixtures take place, ie 1st March..

At the moment each club has only made 'team announcements'!

First official fixtures aren't until 29 March, though.