British Speedway Forum

Brummies 2024...

Col

8 minutes ago, iainb said:

The difference is Oxford had the crowds due to the feel good factor of a club returning from the ashes. Birmingham have been on a downward trend for the last few years. No doubt their fans will be grateful to have some speedway to watch but there just isn't enough of them, there wasn't enough of them at CL level they'll no doubt get some Wolves punters but will that be enough?

They've only gone PL due to the self administered straight jacket that British Speedway has put in itself in with race nights. Surely some kind of special dispensation could have been allowed to enable Birmingham to compete in the CL. No, instead we've got the unbelievable situation of Oxford having (?) to run in 3 leagues, I presume, to act as an insurance to keep the PL at 6 teams, should Birmingham go under midway through the season, to fulfil the TV contract obligations... I can think of no other reason for Oxford to be running 3 leagues?!?

I agree about Oxford but I really hope you are wrong about Birmingham and the fans do support what’s on offer and at least give Mr Tolly a chance to build a club for the future.

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

Competitive! Yes in the Championship, in the Premiership they will be cannon fodder for the big guns, and the supporters won't be wasting hard earned money watching them lose most weeks at Perry Barr, a long hard season ahead unless Lindgren or/and Laguta can be persuaded to sign.

It's not that bad, obviously decent heat leaders are needed but the signed riders are not the weakest in the league definitely not cannon fodder.

44 minutes ago, Toady said:

I agree about Oxford but I really hope you are wrong about Birmingham and the fans do support what’s on offer and at least give Mr Tolly a chance to build a club for the future.

Well, I for one will be more inclined to go over a few times during the season as a "neutral" when the weather is nice, probably the same with Oxford now they're in the PL. Whether that'll be enough to keep Birmingham going I don't know, certainly hope so!

19 minutes ago, Pauldoveyspeedway said:

Half Speed ???...A.winning home team is a must ..

Pole's in Poland = full throttle 

Brum = Slow motion racing

A winning home team is a must but at the same time, in general, it's never the case for the bottom 2 teams. 

If the Pole's get to grips with Brum I don't think they're a bottom 2 club. Oxford look horrific to me & King's Lynn risking injured & injury prone rider's could bite them hard yet again. 

6 hours ago, mc131 said:

It's not that bad, obviously decent heat leaders are needed but the signed riders are not the weakest in the league definitely not cannon fodder.

I agree the signed riders are not the weakest in the League, but if 1 & 5 are not double figure scorers then where will the wins come from ?, lets not forget if Birmingham are not competitive this will impact not only on Birmingham's crowds but on other Teams crowds when the Brummies are visiting.

6 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

A winning home team is a must but at the same time, in general, it's never the case for the bottom 2 teams. 

If the Pole's get to grips with Brum I don't think they're a bottom 2 club. Oxford look horrific to me & King's Lynn risking injured & injury prone rider's could bite them hard yet again. 

4 hours ago, Pumpy said:

It sure how you worK out that Oxford are Horrific ?? They look solid right through. They may not have a powerhouse top two , but as we saw this season , that won’t win the title for you .

Lady will play a big part in any teams success or failure

I'm confused by that comment too, don't see how Oxford are "horrific" looking strong to me!

7 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Competitive! Yes in the Championship, in the Premiership they will be cannon fodder for the big guns, and the supporters won't be wasting hard earned money watching them lose most weeks at Perry Barr, a long hard season ahead unless Lindgren or/and Laguta can be persuaded to sign.

That's the biggest exaggeration ever, they'd be like 18 points above the limit in the Champ & wouldn't lose a match all season.

I agree their top riders aren't as strong as Sheffield & Ipswich's especially, but they could have the strongest reserve pairing in the league.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Kings Lynn look  a decent side to me, not injury prone, some of the team have had injuries lately but doesn't mean they are injury prone. Oxford are a good solid team built strength in depth.

On 12/19/2023 at 1:20 PM, iainb said:

The difference is Oxford had the crowds due to the feel good factor of a club returning from the ashes. Birmingham have been on a downward trend for the last few years. No doubt their fans will be grateful to have some speedway to watch but there just isn't enough of them, there wasn't enough of them at CL level they'll no doubt get some Wolves punters but will that be enough?

They've only gone PL due to the self administered straight jacket that British Speedway has put in itself in with race nights. Surely some kind of special dispensation could have been allowed to enable Birmingham to compete in the CL. No, instead we've got the unbelievable situation of Oxford having (?) to run in 3 leagues, I presume, to act as an insurance to keep the PL at 6 teams, should Birmingham go under midway through the season, to fulfil the TV contract obligations... I can think of no other reason for Oxford to be running 3 leagues?!?

And, as has been mentioned on the Glasgow thread by their owners..

The "big names" won't bring in enough crowds on a "different night" than their usual one, to justify the move up..

Speedway in Birmingham in recent history, doesnt appear to resonate with too many people, so to have "Dan, Tai, Emil" et al, appearing in their city, wont have too many of the local populace suddenly sitting up and taking notice I fear..

Lets hope this is the start of a renaissance of the sport in Brum, but it will be a huge challenge..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 1stbender said:

Will the management pull out a Xmas surprise and confirm two big hitters as a xmas present to brummie fans? I thought they made a solid start with Flint and Stevie Worrall but certainly a lot of concern with recent events. 

I'm sure Phil the Ace will be the first to let us know when the top 2 are signed and sealed! ;o) 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, 1stbender said:

Will the management pull out a Xmas surprise and confirm two big hitters as a xmas present to brummie fans? I thought they made a solid start with Flint and Stevie Worrall but certainly a lot of concern with recent events. 

be a xmas present to us all.:drink:

8 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Someone who was supposedly in the know said a rider announcement last Wednesday which there was (Zach Cook) and another this Wednesday ???? only just over an hour left, I guess Nigel want's to keep the announcement back until Christmas eve.

So much for 'being in the know' ? LOL :D

I'd take everything that 'poster' said, with a generous pinch of salt ! 

8 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Someone who was supposedly in the know said a rider announcement last Wednesday which there was (Zach Cook) and another this Wednesday ???? only just over an hour left, I guess Nigel want's to keep the announcement back until Christmas eve.

JJ predicted two announcements which we have now had, one last Wednesday one on Monday , the second one came earlier than predicted. What’s the problem? 

Edited by the hobbit

Tolley in the Star.

Claims to have spent ballpark £300k in past 2 seasons and may be another 70k on top.

Claims to have spoken to Lindgren and "Russians", and "If say Bartosz Zmarzlik wanted to ride in this Country next season we wouldn't be frighted about what the money would be"

Goes on to say he is looking to bring in at least one rider "of GP standard"

Says at end that in further article NEXT WEEK "exciting news for Brummies fans ....and a new challenge way beyond riding in the Premiership"