British Speedway Forum

Brummies 2024...

Col

3 hours ago, guitar_art said:

You have stated this a number of times. And you know this to be true because?  Perhaps you have some inside knowledge we are not privy to? 

I think your guessing like the rest of us.  Of course I could have missed something in one of your missives they do tend to be on the long side and I don't have a great deal of patience at the moment holed up in bed with pneumonia. 

Get well soon Mike 

On 11/21/2023 at 9:44 AM, the hobbit said:

If Rogers picks the team, and God forbid, is named as team manager then I will not be attending next season, after being a fan since the ‘70’s !!!! 

On 11/28/2023 at 1:42 PM, the hobbit said:

Listen to the podcast introducing Brennan snd it’s blatantly obvious, he repeatedly mentions one name in connection with who negotiated his arrival ….., Laurence rogers 

1 hour ago, the hobbit said:

Yes, I do. 
that’s what I’m hearing why, if true, I will not be attending next season 

Hold on, you're already fulfilled one criteria for not attending next season. So why does the new threat carry any weight, if you're already committed to not attending?

39 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

My point was it's not as simple as that. It's not like Woffy has to ride for Wroclaw or he's banned from racing in Poland, there's plenty of clubs he could move to, to earn good money.

So why does he accept being "bullied" into racing when not fit?

I think it as simple as that ,maybe Piaf big retains up front.Contract etc 

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

My point was it's not as simple as that. It's not like Woffy has to ride for Wroclaw or he's banned from racing in Poland, there's plenty of clubs he could move to, to earn good money.

So why does he accept being "bullied" into racing when not fit?

I think it is as simple as money.Woffy pretty much is own man.Between signing on fees,retainers and Contracts,Testimonial.Maybe just better to go with the flow and turn up .IMO

Edited by Fromafar

14 hours ago, *JJ said:

Two riders will be announced on Wednesday, and next Weds. As for the No. 1, the club is in negotiation with several riders, but have not signed one yet.

Looking (guessing based on rumour/availability) like those 2 riders will be Cook/Schlein ??

Leaving approx 16 points for final 2 signings?

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Looking (guessing based on rumour/availability) like those 2 riders will be Cook/Schlein ??

No names were given to me, so your guess is as good as anyone's ... ;)

On 12/11/2023 at 9:40 AM, the hobbit said:

I don’t know how you get any optimism from that interview….. he clearly stated he was going to be making it up snd learning as he went along. He has no ooomph about him. Dull as dishwater. Did you listen to the Worrall into? Steve clearly stated … Sam is from a different era when speedway was totally different, if he thinks he’s going to tell me how to set my bike up, that’s not going to work. 

%

23 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

May be not...but He can certainly tell him how to ride it ! :D

Worrall will do well from listening and taking note from what Sam has to say....

Steve Worrall could do well to listen to what Sam has to tell him and he may get back to the rider he was looking like he was going to be before he broke his leg. Sam has just about broken every bone in his body and came back to be World Champion. Worrall broke his leg and it's just about ended any prospect he had of ever becoming a world class rider. He's just a bang average journeyman now and comes across a bit like his brother at times.

Edited by iainb

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

Steve Worrall could do well to listen to what Sam has to tell him and he may get back to the rider he was looking like he was going to be before he broke his leg. Sam has just about broken every bone in his body and came back to be World Champion. Worrall broke his leg and it's just about ended any prospect he had of ever becoming a world class rider. He's just a bang average journeyman now and comes across a bit like his brother at times.

Well said!

I do think that Worrall is a great personality to have in the camp....always comes across as a gentleman and professional.

On 12/11/2023 at 9:40 AM, the hobbit said:

I don’t know how you get any optimism from that interview….. he clearly stated he was going to be making it up snd learning as he went along. He has no ooomph about him. Dull as dishwater. Did you listen to the Worrall into? Steve clearly stated … Sam is from a different era when speedway was totally different, if he thinks he’s going to tell me how to set my bike up, that’s not going to work. 

%

The former Wolverhampton racer was named as the Brummies’ third signing for 2024 on Friday – before 1993 World Champion Sam Ermolenko and Chris Adams were unveiled as Team Manager and Assistant Team Manager respectively, both also having strong connections with the Black Country club.

Worrall said: “I think it will be brilliant having those two on board, I think it will be fantastic.

“Being at Wolverhampton, I’ve seen those guys every week. So we already have a very good relationship and I’m really happy about that.

“You need people in your team, especially as a manager, who have been there, done that, got the t-shirt and they need to be in a speedway rider’s mindset I believe.

“You’ve got to know how to understand what’s going on with a rider if you’re not getting the best out of them and how to flip it around.

“I know Sam’s era of speedway was different to modern-day speedway, but he can still advise you and point you in the right direction.”

Slightly different slant to your 'post' ? :t:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

The former Wolverhampton racer was named as the Brummies’ third signing for 2024 on Friday – before 1993 World Champion Sam Ermolenko and Chris Adams were unveiled as Team Manager and Assistant Team Manager respectively, both also having strong connections with the Black Country club.

Worrall said: “I think it will be brilliant having those two on board, I think it will be fantastic.

“Being at Wolverhampton, I’ve seen those guys every week. So we already have a very good relationship and I’m really happy about that.

“You need people in your team, especially as a manager, who have been there, done that, got the t-shirt and they need to be in a speedway rider’s mindset I believe.

“You’ve got to know how to understand what’s going on with a rider if you’re not getting the best out of them and how to flip it around.

“I know Sam’s era of speedway was different to modern-day speedway, but he can still advise you and point you in the right direction.”

@the hobbit was being a bit naughty with his misquoting of Worrall, let's hope Sudden Sam can get Worrall's career back on track

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

How are you making that assessment? Are you just looking at the 2023 PL rider roster and deducing that if you take away those riders signed by other teams, that the remainder are "available"?

OK, but what about all those riders who are riding in Europe that weren't in the PL last year. That's a whole new ball game, with plenty of talent that could be tapped into,

25 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Yes, club hype. What else  do you expect them to put? They understandably chose to ignore the comment I highlighted. 

first part you quote from my post was about Sam being dull, my opinion , others are entitled to their own opinion. listen to the interview again, Sam clearly states he’s got a lot to learn and again, you can’t expect the club to highlight this comment. 

you’ve been around long enough to know how the game is played snd to see the bigger picture, not just listen to the hype or maybe , those rose tinted glasses so many people wear, are restricting your vision. 

i hope Sam is an outstanding manager and guides the Brummies to unbridled success. .  Personally, I think we needed someone with much more team managerial experience, such as Alun Rossiter for instance. 

Edited by the hobbit

7 minutes ago, the hobbit said:

Yes, club hype. What else  do you expect them to put? They understandably chose to ignore the comment I highlighted. 

first part you quote from my post was about Sam being dull, my opinion , others are entitled to their own opinion. listen to the interview again, Sam clearly states he’s got a lot to learn and again, you can’t expect the club to highlight this comment. 

you’ve been around long enough to know how the game is played snd to see the bigger picture, not just listen to the hype or maybe , those rose tinted glasses do many people wear, are restricting your vision. 

i hope Sam is an outstanding manager and guided the Brummies to unbridled success. . 

Unsurprising.

He's been working with Peter Adams since 1986!

33 minutes ago, the hobbit said:

you’ve been around long enough to know how the game is played snd to see the bigger picture, not just listen to the hype or maybe , those rose tinted glasses so many people wear, are restricting your vision. 

i hope Sam is an outstanding manager and guides the Brummies to unbridled success. .  Personally, I think we needed someone with much more team managerial experience, such as Alun Rossiter for instance. 

Hey, I know how passionate you are about the Club...I know you've travelled the length and breadth of the country to support them. I really respect that.

I also respect you have the right to your opinions about Sam....

But I choose to compliment him on his honesty about learning the ropes, as opposed to criticizing his personality for sounding 'dull' (your words..)

I agree that there are most likely better choices out there as a TM, but I doubt many of them have the same 'rider/track' knowledge that Sam has got!

Sam is a legend to the sport in my 'rose-tinted' glasses and regardless of any restricted vision...I back Sam to get the best out of whatever team is assembled!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

How are you making that assessment? Are you just looking at the 2023 PL rider roster and deducing that if you take away those riders signed by other teams, that the remainder are "available"?

OK, but what about all those riders who are riding in Europe that weren't in the PL last year. That's a whole new ball game, with plenty of talent that could be tapped into,

YES...that's why I put it in brackets after saying it !!

49 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Hey, I know how passionate you are about the Club...I know you've travelled the length and breadth of the country to support them. I really respect that.

I also respect you have the right to your opinions about Sam....

But I choose to compliment him on his honesty about learning the ropes, as opposed to criticizing his personality for sounding 'dull' (your words..)

I agree that there are most likely better choices out there as a TM, but I doubt many of them have the same 'rider/track' knowledge that Sam has got!

Sam is a legend to the sport in my 'rose-tinted' glasses and regardless of any restricted vision...I back Sam to get the best out of whatever team is assembled!

I respect   your right to have different opinion and to express that opinion. That is what forums are for and after all, we all want  the team to be the best it can be and for the efforts of the management to be rewarded. 
I just get miffed when people bang on about not having a team of “has beens “ then get all excited about signing  the likes of Zagar or Schlein. I’m not saying Schlein is finished but, he’s well past  his best and personally, I’d prefer we sign someone who can progress snd grow with the club over the next few seasons, such as Mateus cuerniak, two times world under 21 champion and future works champion . There are countless young Polish/ Scandinavian riders who would excite me more than Schlein 

Edited by the hobbit