British Speedway Forum

Oxford Spires 2024

6 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Having been a fan since 1967, I Ā used to love weekly speedway and it's demise is disappointing particularly when it's more to do with the influence of foreign leagues, GP'S etc rather than the willingness of fans toĀ turn up regularly.Ā  You mention theĀ patchy fixture list, well that is something theĀ fans have to endureĀ rather thanĀ enjoy. Any promoter would give theirĀ eye teeth forĀ weekly attendances. As for cost Oxford should be able toĀ come with packages for those who want toĀ attend 1,2 or all 3 leagues. I must admit running 3 leagues is exceedingly ambitious and I wish theĀ promotion the very best of luck.

I think the ever dwindling attendances across the sport show fans are less willing to turn up every week. The reality is there are many reasons people donā€™t attend weekly.Ā 

The patchy fixture lists (and uncompletedĀ fixtures) have been an embarrassment to the sport. Especially when there have been blank weeks during the height of summer and then a mad rush to finish the season come October when the weather turns.Ā 

Of course any business wants to make a profit and a weekly one at that. But they also have to be realistic about how their product is consumed. Itā€™s better to make a profit from two meetings a month than a loss from four.Ā 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 2:41 PM, Ben91 said:

I canā€™t think of any mainstream team sports in which a team has a home match every week.
Look at the patchy fixture lists weā€™ve been exposed to in recent seasons.Ā 

Basketball, televised on sky and crowds larger than uk Speedway.Ā 
Patchy fixture list replaced by regular meetings. - not archaic, habit forming.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1 valve said:

Basketball, televised on sky and crowds larger than uk Speedway.Ā 
Patchy fixture list replaced by regular meetings. - not archaic, habit forming.Ā 

Ā 

As well as indoors, dry, warm, comfortable seating and little danger of any last minute call-offs!

Very little point in comparing any outdoor sport with anything indoors!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, proud panther said:

Thought he was more a punter than a bookmaker ?

Maybe he is then. He is something to do with bookies I think. He owns 4 greyhound tracks and owns a company that film the greyhound racing.Ā 

Would like to see Tobi Musielak in the Oxford team. Speedway is less affordable to watch now than the 60s or 70s. The days at Blunsdon when peeps could afford to go every week, 36 meetings, lockouts with 17000 inside are gone.

Good Luck with the 3 teams, a bold move, will certainly encourage speed fans from miles around to watch the top riders in the sport. Pity teams such as Swindon, Poole, Coventry, Reading, Wollves, Peterborough etc., won't be joining them. I will be making the trip up the a420 a few times.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Maybe he is then. He is something to do with bookies I think. He owns 4 greyhound tracks and owns a company that film the greyhound racing.Ā 

He owns Henlow. The rest he just has a lease from the stadium owners. And he's not a bookmaker, but a punter and big greyhound owner (the largest in the country I believe).

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 6:27 AM, Ben91 said:

I think the ever dwindling attendances across the sport show fans are less willing to turn up every week. The reality is there are many reasons people donā€™t attend weekly.Ā 

The patchy fixture lists (and uncompletedĀ fixtures) have been an embarrassment to the sport. Especially when there have been blank weeks during the height of summer and then a mad rush to finish the season come October when the weather turns.Ā 

Of course any business wants to make a profit and a weekly one at that. But they also have to be realistic about how their product is consumed. Itā€™s better to make a profit from two meetings a month than a loss from four.Ā 

And 4 meetings out of one months disposable income is a lot different now than in the halcyon days of the sport..

Satellite TV, Mobile Phones, Internet, Gas, Electric, Water, Car and Home insurance, Modern Car ownership, fuel prices, house prices/mortgages, home mod cons such as fridge freezers, washers, dryers, dishwashers etc etc etc all have a much larger impact to the disposable spend left after all has been paid for..

Add in inflation running ahead of wage increases and you have a serious challenge on your hands to get fans attending weekly, regularly through the seaaon..

And throw in the fair few "Mickey Mouse" meetings, which get ran, and which can reduce attendances,Ā as well asĀ the cost forĀ so many hiring tracks, and weekly Speedway would be a big risk...Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

And 4 meetings out of one months disposable income is a lot different now than in the halcyon days of the sport..

Satellite TV, Mobile Phones, Internet, Gas, Electric, Water, Car and Home insurance, Modern Car ownership, fuel prices, house prices/mortgages, home mod cons such as fridge freezers, washers, dryers, dishwashers etc etc etc all have a much larger impact to the disposable spend left after all has been paid for..

Add in inflation running ahead of wage increases and you have a serious challenge on your hands to get fans attending weekly, regularly through the seaaon..

And throw in the fair few "Mickey Mouse" meetings, which get ran, and which can reduce attendances,Ā as well asĀ the cost forĀ so many hiring tracks, and weekly Speedway would be a big risk...Ā 

Ā 

Your post reads negativeā€¦ā€¦.But you are spot on!!!

Would chop my right arm off for weekly speedway, as would many I would think, given how every year we moan about a lack of fixtures.

An attractive season ticket and they are onto a great thing here.

Hats off to them, full of admiration. What if it works well and every club does it over the next few years.

• Like 3

The team with Tungate = 40.30 so he doesn't fit, Schlein fits like a treat though and I haven't seen Rory being linked with any other side.

Ā 

1. Janowski

2. Schlein

3. Harris

4. Wright

5. Klindt

6. Kerr

7. Boughen (RS)

1 hour ago, TTT said:

The team with Tungate = 40.30 so he doesn't fit, Schlein fits like a treat though and I haven't seen Rory being linked with any other side.

Ā 

1. Janowski

2. Schlein

3. Harris

4. Wright

5. Klindt

6. Kerr

7. Boughen (RS)

Maybe Magic's 8.97 from 8 years ago might be re assessed to an 8.

Edited by Bald Bloke