British Speedway Forum

Oxford Spires 2024

With more dropped home points, struggle to see Oxford making the play-offs now. Lack of bonus points really costing them. 

Their own fault for making the team weaker than. On paper Leicester & Lynn should be good enough at home to finish above Oxford.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 6:52 PM, Toady said:

OK, so Chris Harris has had a couple of bad meetings, ( he has had hundreds of good ones) so you want to replace a rider who gives his all with someone else who no doubt in a few weeks you will want replacing and so the cycle carries on desperate team changes never work especially when there are very few better options out there.

People were calling for changes to the Cheetahs a couple of weeks ago, but the meeting against Redcar apart from the bowser incident was full of excitement and great racing from the very riders that people wanted to get rid of.

Lol

• 2 weeks later...

My bruv and sister-in-law over from Australia visited Oxford for the speedway v Sheffield and said how impressed they were with the racing and the stadium.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 2:15 PM, Hilly said:

Crikey, if Oxford are struggling cash wise then everybody else must be, crowds are very good in Premiership, decent sponsorship. Championship levels seem slightly down but still more than most other tracks and Chargers crowds very good.

Will be very revealing when the time comes to declare for next season.

I would say it's very likely Championship racing will stop at Oxford in 2025.

Every change Oxford have made has weakened them imo. Now they've just lost their (supposedly) strong reserve.

They either don't want to make the play-offs or have given up for the season & planning for next year with new reserves?

I cannot see how these changes can be considered strengthening the team at all.

• Like 2

Just now, szkocjasid said:

Every change Oxford have made has weakened them imo. Now they've just lost their (supposedly) strong reserve.

They either don't want to make the play-offs or have given up for the season & planning for next year with new reserves?

I cannot see how these changes can be considered strengthening the team at all.

Completely agree. It’s incredible to weaken 3 times in a season and remove a high scoring reserve just as you are in the running for the play offs.  
bonkers 

4 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Completely agree. It’s incredible to weaken 3 times in a season and remove a high scoring reserve just as you are in the running for the play offs.  
bonkers 

Very bizarre to keep weakening the team particularly with points to play with.. unless they are planning something big very quickly (would seem unlikely considering other teams have been struggling to get in replacement number 1s). 

I think it's very hard on Kemp, he's a Prem reserve who was expected to ride at number 2. Now it'll be hard on Killeen who's not had a shot as a RS, but expected to be a number 6.

If they really felt Kemp wasn't working out, what about Heeps who's been having a much better season for the Cheetahs.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Colinspeedway said:

Very bizarre to keep weakening the team particularly with points to play with.. unless they are planning something big very quickly (would seem unlikely considering other teams have been struggling to get in replacement number 1s). 

When they dropped Klindt for Kerr same question was asked, "are they going to use up the spare points", they didn't. So don't see a second change to bring in a big hitter coming.

Edited by szkocjasid

I suspect they dropped Kemp to keep Killeen, perhaps Belle Vue were looking at Killeen as a replacement for Bailey as RS, I remember Edinburgh tried to sign Killeen at last season  as he had been guesting and it was not allowed by Oxford as they wanted to keep him on a 2 point average for this season, he was allowed to guest

• Like 1

One change in a team can help with a rebuild. Two starts to be unsettling. Three has riders looking over their shoulders wondering if they’re next. 
Oxford have dropped Kerr twice, Klindt, Cook, and now Kemp. I think I see the pattern - every rider has a K in their name. If I was JanowsKi, EriRiss, or even LuKKillen (two of them!) I’d be worried. 
Unless it’s all a plan by ShroeK to have room to bring in ZmarzliK!

• Haha 1