British Speedway Forum

Oxford Spires 2024

Just now, Hilly said:

There's enough points spare to do anything they want, no reason for average to come into it.

Depends how many changes they make. Might come down to money more than anything else.

OK, so Chris Harris has had a couple of bad meetings, ( he has had hundreds of good ones) so you want to replace a rider who gives his all with someone else who no doubt in a few weeks you will want replacing and so the cycle carries on desperate team changes never work especially when there are very few better options out there.

People were calling for changes to the Cheetahs a couple of weeks ago, but the meeting against Redcar apart from the bowser incident was full of excitement and great racing from the very riders that people wanted to get rid of.

2 hours ago, Toady said:

OK, so Chris Harris has had a couple of bad meetings, ( he has had hundreds of good ones) so you want to replace a rider who gives his all with someone else who no doubt in a few weeks you will want replacing and so the cycle carries on desperate team changes never work especially when there are very few better options out there.

People were calling for changes to the Cheetahs a couple of weeks ago, but the meeting against Redcar apart from the bowser incident was full of excitement and great racing from the very riders that people wanted to get rid of.

Oxford potentially has 8 riders and only 7 places, though. That's the problem, so a change has to be made. Either Kerr or Cook goes, or one of the others riders does. Pretty much every member of the team (bar Tungate) has been mentioned, so nobody is focusing on Harris. But at the end of the day, Oxford has a lot of spare points to play with and it would be rather silly of them not to use if they have designs on the title.

Chris Harris has hardly set the world alight this season. He's been okay at home, but away he's been shocking. 

2024 AVERAGES M R P B GSA Ave.            
Home 4 18 35 0 7.78 7.78            
Away 4 18 19 2 4.22 4.67            
Total 8 36 54 2 6.00 6.22            

23 hours ago, Toady said:

People were calling for changes to the Cheetahs because they had points to play with, rather than because they looked weak imo (well maybe Atkins)

Same for the Spires, Oxford are doing well, but if you have points spare, why not try to improve your team?

34 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

People were calling for changes to the Cheetahs because they had points to play with, rather than because they looked weak imo (well maybe Atkins)

Same for the Spires, Oxford are doing well, but if you have points spare, why not try to improve your team?

Improve the team with who ? I travel to Oxford to watch my team and enjoy the racing from the riders we have, the atmosphere is excellent so for me as long as the racing is good and we win at home, job done.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Chris Harris has hardly set the world alight this season. He's been okay at home, but away he's been shocking. 

2024 AVERAGES M R P B GSA Ave.            
Home 4 18 35 0 7.78 7.78            
Away 4 18 19 2 4.22 4.67            
Total 8 36 54 2 6.00 6.22            

So, essentially, riding to his average!  As with all riders, time catches up with them. Chris still produces moments of brilliance, but he can't be expected to do that all the time. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

So, essentially, riding to his average!  As with all riders, time catches up with them. Chris still produces moments of brilliance, but he can't be expected to do that all the time. 

Correct  more often than not, he’s had a couple of bad meetings away but he’ll turn it round. Never knows when he’s beaten not like some you can mention.

1 hour ago, Toady said:

Improve the team with who ? I travel to Oxford to watch my team and enjoy the racing from the riders we have, the atmosphere is excellent so for me as long as the racing is good and we win at home, job done.

Maybe those of us who are proper fans and also travel to away meetings aspire for a little bit more. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Toady said:

Correct  more often than not, he’s had a couple of bad meetings away but he’ll turn it round. Never knows when he’s beaten not like some you can mention.

Also Harris is someone you want in your team come the play offs. Obviously 5 teams fighting for 4 places at the moment. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Maybe those of us who are proper fans and also travel to away meetings aspire for a little bit more. 

I travel 100 miles to watch Oxford and have travelled up and down the land watching Oxford and Swindon so I am I not a Proper Fan ?

Edited by Toady

56 minutes ago, Matt Davis said:

Lewi Kerr withdrawn tonight at Berwick 

Crashed in a tight first turn in Ht1, withdrew after knocking the same ankle that has kept him out recently, there was no definite news announced at the track.

On 5/18/2024 at 9:22 PM, Toady said:

I travel 100 miles to watch Oxford and have travelled up and down the land watching Oxford and Swindon so I am I not a Proper Fan ?

I think you're really a Swindon fan who has since converted to Oxford. Which means you're definitely NOT a proper Oxford fan. 

While I can appreciate speedway fans in general wanting to watch speedway and it's sad to see some teams not around any more, I never once started supporting Swindon while Oxford were out of action - I went as I wanted to watch speedway and naturally didn’t want Swindon to win. Can you imagine Cradley fans becoming Wolves fans, etc.? Sends a shiver down my spine. 

Edited by BackInTheDHSS
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

I think you're really a Swindon fan who has since converted to Oxford. Which means you're definitely NOT a proper Oxford fan. 

While I can appreciate speedway fans in general wanting to watch speedway and it's sad to see some teams not around any more, I never once started supporting Swindon while Oxford were out of action - I went and supported the opposition instead. Can you imagine Cradley fans becoming Wolves fans, etc.? Sends a shiver down my spine. 

I hope this is not a widely held view. Certainly in my experience I've been welcomed into the Oxford family.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

While I can appreciate speedway fans in general wanting to watch speedway and it's sad to see some teams not around any more, I never once started supporting Swindon while Oxford were out of action - I went and supported the opposition instead. Can you imagine Cradley fans becoming Wolves fans, etc.? Sends a shiver down my spine. 

I’ve watched Oxford since 2000 and when they finished Swindon. Therefore I am Speedway Fan.Oxford were without a team for 15  plus years with little chance of returning so now their miraculously back so called Fans like you are continually  calling for changes. After all you are a proper fan  so changes should be made to plicate you and a small number who travel these days (look around you ).

Next time you are at Cowley note the atmosphere I don’t here people constantly calling for changes just Fans getting excited, getting behind their teams and  enjoying the action.

• Like 2

I hate to agree with Toady, but he's right. The atmosphere is great and that should be applauded. Just to clarify, I'm not one calling for changes...but (and it's a big BUT), surely Oxford would be foolish not to replace a rider who is going to score six points each meeting with someone who will score ten? However, as Toady has also said, who would that ten point rider be? There probably isn't anybody available anyway....

Edited by Bojangles

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

I hope this is not a widely held view. Certainly in my experience I've been welcomed into the Oxford family.

Certainly not. One of the great things about Oxford's return has been the amount of Swindon (and Reading) supporters attending meetings.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Toady said:

I’ve watched Oxford since 2000 and when they finished Swindon. Therefore I am Speedway Fan.Oxford were without a team for 15  plus years with little chance of returning so now their miraculously back so called Fans like you are continually  calling for changes. After all you are a proper fan  so changes should be made to plicate you and a small number who travel these days (look around you ).

Next time you are at Cowley note the atmosphere I don’t here people constantly calling for changes just Fans getting excited, getting behind their teams and  enjoying the action.

You're so happy to keep the current team because Chris Harris is potentially under threat, but more than happy to kick Lewis Kerr into touch because what....he had the cheek to get injured? Funny how your 'no changes' narrative suits your own agenda when people mention Harris, but you couldn't care less about Kerr. Kerr has been a member of the Oxford set-up far longer than Harris.