British Speedway Forum

Oxford Spires 2024

9 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Yeah, appreciate that. It's just the fact that Peter Schroeck actually said Scott would be covering the majority of the meetings. Surely they must have had a conversation about it and agreed before he said that on record? Something must have changed.

If Scott changed his mind then it would be foolish not to use him.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I wouldn't drop Janowski on his new average but I am very biased! Difficult to drop Harris when you know what he can do when in play off mode, Wright could be dropped especially if they can convince a top rider to come over.

Wright would probably be the last rider I would drop. Harris too has to stay. Simple answer is drop the lowest averaged rider.

This is where the RS system works, 5 years ago the option would be to bring Kerr back in place of Boughen.

Edited by szkocjasid

12 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Wright would probably be the last rider I would drop. Harris too has to stay. Simple answer is drop the lowest averaged rider.

This is where the RS system works, 5 years ago the option would be to bring Kerr back in place of Boughen.

I would drop Wright for a top rider. Not sure the RS system is working, it isn't a level playing field when riders like Boughen and Joe T are expected to compete against riders like Flint and Rowe.

57 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

34 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I would drop Wright for a top rider. Not sure the RS system is working, it isn't a level playing field when riders like Boughen and Joe T are expected to compete against riders like Flint and Rowe.

You won't need to drop Wright for a top rider, their averages will be so low, could probably replace their number 6 for a top rider.

Don't see Oxford doing that tbh, can see them running with 5/6 "second strings" & Boughen.

Can't agree re the RS system, just because it's not even. Whatever the system it won't be even, look at the points limit - otherwise Birmingham would be the same strength as Sheffield & Ipswich.

As for Boughen, I don't think that's an issue with the RS system, more Oxford picking a rider too inexperienced. Same happened last year, people said the RS system didn't work with Mulford & Joe T out of their depth, but that was only because Kemp, Rowe & Bailey were overlooked.

Not so much strength in depth this year, but there's still 3+ Champ riders Hagon, Pijper, Atkins, Mulford waiting in the wings.

If NL second strings were being forced in the RS spots, I'd agree it's not working.

Edited by szkocjasid

4 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Well Scott has said for the last couple of seasons he doesn't want Premiership full time so I would imagine that is the reason, Scott is very good at Oxford, almost unbeatable at Championship level so will be a big miss. Cook has been terrific for Workington so a bit of a no-brainer if Scott is not available full time.

Scott has always said he wouldn't or couldn't commit to both leagues once his TV with Eurosport ramped up.

Edited by kevin bass

15 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

You won't need to drop Wright for a top rider, their averages will be so low, could probably replace their number 6 for a top rider.

Don't see Oxford doing that tbh, can see them running with 5/6 "second strings" & Boughen.

Can't agree re the RS system, just because it's not even. Whatever the system it won't be even, look at the points limit - otherwise Birmingham would be the same strength as Sheffield & Ipswich.

As for Boughen, I don't think that's an issue with the RS system, more Oxford picking a rider too inexperienced. Same happened last year, people said the RS system didn't work with Mulford & Joe T out of their depth, but that was only because Kemp, Rowe & Bailey were overlooked.

Not so much strength in depth this year, but there's still 3+ Champ riders Hagon, Pijper, Atkins, Mulford waiting in the wings.

If NL second strings were being forced in the RS spots, I'd agree it's not working.

Agree about Boughen, he should not be riding at Premiership level at his age, he needs to be dropped, it is doing him no good.

38 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Agree about Boughen, he should not be riding at Premiership level at his age, he needs to be dropped, it is doing him no good.

I said pre-season start with Atkins, then if Boughen is outperforming him in the Champ, give him a chance. It's a big step up from less than half a season in the Champ to the Prem.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I said pre-season start with Atkins, then if Boughen is outperforming him in the Champ, give him a chance. It's a big step up from less than half a season in the Champ to the Prem.

Up until last night, Atkins has been woeful. Not sure who the better option is if not Boughen - I certainly think I'd rather stick with him over Atkins and Killeen at this stage. Hagon could be an option I guess, certainly got Oxford links and has started the season well.

Edited by Bojangles

1 minute ago, Bojangles said:

Up until last night, Atkins has been woeful. Not sure who the better option is if not Boughen - I certainly think I'd rather stick with him over Atkins and Killeen at this stage. Hagon could be an option I guess, certainly got Oxford links and has started the season well.

Yeah my (pre-season) Atkins suggestion was based on him being a 4+ Champ rider last year, so statistically the strongest non RS available. As he started the season poorly (till last night) don't see him getting a chance now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, foreverblue said:

typical Poole response to be honest, do you not understand the point of the RS system?

• Haha 1

In the matches I've seen Wright has been one of the better riders, no sense to drop him plus it's still early days. Janowski will improve when the really slick tracks appear as the weather warms up.

The obvious change would be either Riss or Cook, depending on how they get on over the next few weeks. Assuming there is an actual rider available and willing to come in.

6 hours ago, foreverblue said:

He beat Jason Doyle the other day at Foxhall - was ecstatic after the race, think moments like that are doing him some good

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 89buttons said:

He beat Jason Doyle the other day at Foxhall - was ecstatic after the race, think moments like that are doing him some good

And beat Flint last month.

Edited by stevebrum
Correction

11 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Everyone understands it, dont know why you bring Poole in to it. Boughen should not be in it in my opinion.

Why shouldn’t he be in it? He’s a bloody rising star!! 

22 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

And beat Flint last month.

but got beat by Scott, Wirtzfeld, Foord and Simpson down at Plymouth on Monday. A season in the CL would imo would have been the way to go 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 89buttons said:

If you’re good enough you’re old enough, he’s surpassed many older more experienced riders already

Not saying he isnt any good or not got potential, just seen it over and over again, riders thrown in at the deep end and struggle and then take a long time to get confidence back 

• Like 2