British Speedway Forum

Oxford Spires 2024

Just going back to the nickname.

Would Oxford Scholars been more suitable and every university and college contacted to invite them to press and practise for new season and potentially a untapped source of interest/revenue? 

On 1/6/2024 at 1:57 PM, Grachan said:

Thought I'd mention that I did this.

I sent an email to the General Enquiries address, and copied in the tickets address.

Never received a reply.

That is a major worry if my business was Oxford Speedway! Someone that want's to buy your product but has a simple question before purchasing. They are losing out on potential income, so if it was my business I wouldn't be happy unless they don't need any more ticket sales! whoever monitors all 3 emails needs to be spoken to! I'm still awaiting my reply from them before I purchase a ticket.

It's a shame as I will be going to Poole weekly and was going to support Oxfords new 'project' which enabled me to watch some of the worlds top riders.

Edited by Pirates Of Poole

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

A family member has e-mailed King's Lynn speedway about a ST and, guess what.....no response.

Speedway really doesn't help itself sometimes. 

I e-mailed Kings Lynn between Christmas  

and New Year as directed on the website.

regarding the purchase of two season 

tickets. 

To be fair they responded within a couple 

of days.. First time applicant as only

moved to the area 14 months back.

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Buster only helps himself shock!!

I don't imagine Buster is involved in day to day stuff like that. Although ultimately responsible as the bloke at the top of course. 

6 minutes ago, Lapsed Hawk said:

I e-mailed Kings Lynn between Christmas  

and New Year as directed on the website.

regarding the purchase of two season 

tickets. 

To be fair they responded within a couple 

of days.. First time applicant as only

moved to the area 14 months back.

That's encouraging, will make sure my relative got all the details right in that case!

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

A family member has e-mailed King's Lynn speedway about a ST and, guess what.....no response.

Speedway really doesn't help itself sometimes. 

I got a form to fill in a couple of days after enquiring about a season ticket.Although I then sent the form and 2 passport photos back online,I asked if it was OK this way.I haven't  heard anything since the 1st January.

You’d think that clubs would be all over their communication with fans especially when it comes to money, revenue etc. If in my line of work I failed to respond I’d be thrown over the coals or even worst potentially loose a client. I have experienced a similar issues at my club. I understand that a lot of the roles at the clubs are held by volunteers but surely they have regular access to emails or an automatic response on when to expect a reply. 

So clearly my original comments has unearthed a lacked of communication with a number of clubs! communicating with your regular source of income is a pretty important (the fans) in this day and age, when you have clubs trying to get you to spend your money with them against other sports ie. Football, Rugby, Ice Hockey etc - Why I'm shocked to hear others are in the same situation as me, its British Speedway! I have to say at Poole, Since Danny has taken over its been night and day and always gets back to you quickly on matters, other clubs could learn a thing or too from him. To put it clearly if the people monitoring the emails at these clubs worked for my company and they were costing me lost revenue we would have a major issue. I have set a limit by the end of this week, If I don't hear back from Oxford Speedway, I will spend the money on other sports I enjoy outside of speedway and they will lose 4 people attending a minimum of 10 home meetings, that's admission and food/drink not being purchased by me, soon adds up! 

Edited by Pirates Of Poole

On 1/9/2024 at 5:51 PM, Pirates Of Poole said:

So clearly my original comments has unearthed a lacked of communication with a number of clubs! communicating with your regular source of income is a pretty important (the fans) in this day and age, when you have clubs trying to get you to spend your money with them against other sports ie. Football, Rugby, Ice Hockey etc - Why I'm shocked to hear others are in the same situation as me, its British Speedway! I have to say at Poole, Since Danny has taken over its been night and day and always gets back to you quickly on matters, other clubs could learn a thing or too from him. To put it clearly if the people monitoring the emails at these clubs worked for my company and they were costing me lost revenue we would have a major issue. I have set a limit by the end of this week, If I don't hear back from Oxford Speedway, I will spend the money on other sports I enjoy outside of speedway and they will lose 4 people attending a minimum of 10 home meetings, that's admission and food/drink not being purchased by me, soon adds up! 

On 1/6/2024 at 1:57 PM, Grachan said:

Thought I'd mention that I did this.

I sent an email to the General Enquiries address, and copied in the tickets address.

Never received a reply.

Whilst it should not come down to fans doing this, I have made contact with the clubs media partner to highlight this and asked that they make contact with you asap. No club can afford to lose out on potential revenue. To be fair, they came back to me asking for more details so I hope they are now on the case.

Nothing changes. 

The last reply from a promoter I received was from  Ronnie Greene at Wimbledon in the 1960's who sent a signed reply when I enquired about tickets fro the  Laurels Meeting . A real promoter. 

Others I have sent letters  include :-

John Louis at Ipswich

Ronnie Rusell at Lakeside

Jon Cook at Lakeside

Jim Lawrence at BSPA

and probably a few others I have forgotten.

None of them  replied.

Frankly I dont give a tuppenny damn about todays "promoters " .

You would think that allt he clubs could "club together" and pay someone to answer all the clubs SS enquiries on one website/email address wouldn't you? 

There cannot be "that many" per week in the grand scheme of things, given so few clubs and the length of time the close season has, so maybe two people tops could be needed...

Quick responses, which gets the money into the bank account quicker, gives good PR for the tracks, and keeps their "most loyal" punters happy...

The BSPL could do so much more collectively, rather than each "doing their best" ...

Marketing, club merchandise, publicity etc etc, would all be cheaper and better if all done under one umbrella as a collective, with quality control in the hands of selected promoters...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Regarding responses (or lack of) from promoters at clubs. I won 2 free tickets to a match via the Speedy scores game on twitter. Got a message from the official British speedway account informing me.

On July 24th told them of the match I'd like, on August 6th reminded them I hadn't got an answer, on August 17th reminded them I still hadn't got an answer, on August 18th they replied saying they'd look into it.

On August 21st queried again & got the information I was after on August 22nd.

They may have been nudged into action by a friend who knew someone on the social media team speaking to them.

Obviously I kept on at them as it was a free ticket I had won. But if this was an attempt by me to purchase a ticket etc, i would have long given up & they would have lost a sale.

Speedway promotions can't afford to alinatate any fans, while it's struggling in this country, so clubs have got to gets their acts together sharpish, when dealing with emails from supporters etc.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

Just now, szkocjasid said:

Regarding responses (or lack of) from promoters at clubs. I won 2 free tickets to a match via the Speedy scores game on twitter. Got a message from the official British speedway account informing me.

On July 24th told them of the match I'd like, on August 6th reminded them I hadn't got an answer, on August 17th reminded them I still hadn't got an answer, on August 18th they replied saying they'd look into it.

On August 21st queried again & got the information I was after on August 22nd.

They may have been nudged into action by a friend who knew someone on the social media team speaking to them.

Obviously I kept on at them as it was a free ticket I had won. But if this was an attempt by me to purchase a ticket etc, i would have long given up & they would have lost a sale.

Speedway promotions can't afford to alinatate any fans, while it's struggling in this country & should want to even if it were successful - so clubs have got to gets their acts together sharpish, when dealing with emails from supporters etc.

A perfect example of why the sport is in the self inflicted position it is..

If they had to work out who is allowed to guest, or which assessed average should apply, then you can be sure that this would be top of the agenda..

A professional, joined up, national marketing of the sport, with "great customer experience" of the sport, is a long long way down the list...

It costs very little to get so much right in business...

I really like the look of the Oxford team. Got a good number one, then 4 third heat leaders / strong second strings.

Plus Lewis Kerr as a fabulous reserve. I think this is where Oxford biggest strength is, I'd rate Kerr above second strings such as Blodorn, Z.Cook, Rew, Palm-Toft & Howarth.

To me they are certainly play-off candidates, but so are the other 5 completed teams. Hopefully set for a very exciting season.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

I really like the look of the Oxford team. Got a good number one, then 4 third heat leaders / strong second strings.

Plus Lewis Kerr as a fabulous reserve. I think this is where Oxford biggest strength is, I'd rate Kerr above second strings such as Blodorn, Z.Cook, Rew, Palm-Toft & Howarth.

To me they are certainly play-off candidates, but so are the other 5 completed teams. Hopefully set for a very exciting season.

Same here.

They're strong title contenders imo.

Out and out No.1, No weak link in the engine room, Strong No.6 all season etc. They tick all the boxes.