British Speedway Forum

Oxford Spires 2024

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

IMO,Emil is a Top 5 rider in the world at this moment.

All this talk of riders taking a while to get dialled in.

They'll all have plenty of time to practice, TBH since we reopened and the track alterations took place I doubt you'd find a rider who'd struggle to suss it out in a race or two.

I'd love to see Rasser and Moose  doing the Buffalo Girl on this track

Edited by Triple.H.

9 hours ago, Hilly said:

Oxford website says we entered the league too late to be able to compete. While I don't see the logic, nothing to do with the club not caring enough or picking and choosing.

That makes zero sense to me, they could very easily race either one of the teams seeded to the semi finals. However I have no issue whatsoever with them sitting out the KOC as they are competing in 3 leagues.

13 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Surely King's Lynn have set up the stronger reserve with it switching between Wojdylo, Palm-Toft & Iversen?? Kerr isn't anywhere near their level. 

Kerr has a higher Prem & Champ average than MPT, who is surely Lynn's 6th best rider?

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Kerr has a higher Prem & Champ average than MPT, who is surely Lynn's 6th best rider?

MPT has had some injuries but his level has definitely dropped in the last couple of seasons whether that is because of the injuries I don't know. Harris, Tungate and Klindt have all been decent heat leaders and I don't think their level has dropped much in recent times, they are not Emil or Doyle but this team will win meetings due to it's depth.

Edited by foreverblue

I think people are forgetting just how good Wright, Harris and Kerr are at Oxford. Kerr was superb for us in the Champ, and Harris and Wright were arguably the two most impressive visitors all season last year.

Wright was also second only to Kerr in scoring in the Pairs, and Harris broke the track record in that meeting. Yes, the Prem is stronger, but they are still going to score big points at home most weeks. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 89buttons said:

What’s scores are a good reserve supposed to regularly score then? If a reserve is banging 9,10,11s regularly then they aren’t a reserve are they 

Good reserve would score 5 to 7..but the subject is being best in the lesgue so 9 or 10 from 5.etc..of course if  you are the best  reserve in the league they wont at reserve for long.. but surely that just common sense.

8 hours ago, Bojangles said:

I think people are forgetting just how good Wright, Harris and Kerr are at Oxford. Kerr was superb for us in the Champ, and Harris and Wright were arguably the two most impressive visitors all season last year.

Wright was also second only to Kerr in scoring in the Pairs, and Harris broke the track record in that meeting. Yes, the Prem is stronger, but they are still going to score big points at home most weeks. 

Completely agree Wright is a very exciting rider, bit wild at times,who can beat most 3rd heat leaders, he rode at 4 at BV and expect him to ride there for Oxford, Klindt is a fantastic gater, not many outgate him,  he has ridden at number 1 before so see him scoring plenty of points.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

That makes zero sense to me, they could very easily race either one of the teams seeded to the semi finals. However I have no issue whatsoever with them sitting out the KOC as they are competing in 3 leagues.

They’ve signed up for three leagues. In doing so they should be committing to all that entails. They’re not doing anyone a favour, they’ve not had a gun put to their head. 

4 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Completely agree Wright is a very exciting rider, bit wild at times,who can beat most 3rd heat leaders, he rode at 4 at BV and expect him to ride there for Oxford, Klindt is a fantastic gater, not many outgate him,  he has ridden at number 1 before so see him scoring plenty of points.

Klindt may struggle against the big  boys in 13 and 15 tho ..He's a bit hit and miss at times ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ben91 said:

They’ve signed up for three leagues. In doing so they should be committing to all that entails. They’re not doing anyone a favour, they’ve not had a gun put to their head. 

I partly agree with that, but also feel if they said to the other 6 Prem teams, we'll join up for the league only, they'd have bitten their hands off for a 7th team.

10 hours ago, Pauldoveyspeedway said:

Klindt may struggle against the big  boys in 13 and 15 tho ..He's a bit hit and miss at times ...

I'd certainly expect him to, that's what happens when you sign a sub 7.00 rider as your second heat leader. But what Oxford lose in heats 13+15, they should gain in heats 12+14.

On 12/2/2023 at 10:14 PM, tellboy said:

Like it,can't use my laughing emoji.

Is anyone else having problems with liking a comment?

I went to see the Doc about it last week. Said there's a lot of it around and gave me some ointment but so far, no better

The Oxford team is going to be interesting as the season unfolds. I see any one of six riders could be at number 1 or number 6 only the rising star in Aston  Boughen is almost asured to remain at reserve.

I'm still not getting to grips with the "Spires" nickname. I always think a nickname or emblem should be something a child can draw & understand. The only place a city skyline has worked for me is on the credits of Frasier. I know Reading FC have a skyline on their shirts & it looks awful.