British Speedway Forum

Oxford Spires 2024

1 hour ago, screm said:

At the minute the Killeen for Kemp change makes little or no sense, should a second change be incoming, a Laguta or a Zmarzlik for example then maybe it was worth doing.

But we are so far under the limit, you can replace Kemp with Zmarzlik , no need to put yourself 7/8 points under the limit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hilly said:

With all the team de strengthening we have been doing, Harris can easily be replaced by somebody from the NDL

Don't worry,we will take Harris off your hands no problem.

1 hour ago, TheSmiler said:

This all just screams “we’ve ruined ourselves financially by running 3 leagues”…

Think you’ve nailed it. The explanation from Schroek would appear to be absolute b0ll0x. The points available for replacements are not an issue. Anyone is available at a price. That is the issue.

11 minutes ago, J-D said:

People keep going on about money.  I honestly don’t think it’s a problem. The guy is absolutely minted. If he wanted Bartosz he could have him. 

Yeah, obviously only considering riders better than this Bartosz bloke (What has he ever done in this sport?). Your statement has echoes of the Birmingham management statement earlier in the season regarding affordability of riders. I’m sure you’re a decent chap and won’t be offended by being told that this particular post of yours is ridiculous (was going to say Bollox but thought better of it).

7 hours ago, J-D said:

People keep going on about money.  I honestly don’t think it’s a problem. The guy is absolutely minted. If he wanted Bartosz he could have him. 

I think that's because no-one things the change strengthens the team, so fans can either believe Schroeck is an absolute idiot or Oxford are struggling with money.

I guess people refuse to believe a team manager could be THAT bad with his team selections that saving money seems a more reasonable explanation of the changes they've made?

23 hours ago, Weeyin said:

I suspect they dropped Kemp to keep Killeen, perhaps Belle Vue were looking at Killeen as a replacement for Bailey as RS, I remember Edinburgh tried to sign Killeen at last season  as he had been guesting and it was not allowed by Oxford as they wanted to keep him on a 2 point average for this season, he was allowed to guest

But why wouldn't Oxford want that to happen?

Is it worth making yourself weaker to stop Belle Vue being stronger?

Is Killeen really that much better than Ablitt, Harrison, Mulford or Joe T?

Well there is no more changes happening so really makes no sense this change 

and it’s not to do with money as they apparently been giving riders a blank cheque to sign. But struggling to to get a rider to accept. 

Belle Vue were sniffing around Killeen so assume it’s to stop us having him, that’s all I can think of 

I've always said can't be money related, must have decided as they cannot get anybody to come over, give Luke a chance now with a view to next season, absolutely no chance we can win the play offs regardless without a new top rider so that 's it.  Just leaves us extremely weak for the last few meetings.

• Like 1

According to the Berwick preview of this Wednesdays fixture. Drew Kemp was due to drop to reserve anyway. So Erik Riss was going to be back in the top 5. So as it looks like no big hitter coming in, maybe the club thought it better to give Luke Killeen the opportunity for a few meetings at a higher level.

6 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

According to the Berwick preview of this Wednesdays fixture. Drew Kemp was due to drop to reserve anyway. So Erik Riss was going to be back in the top 5. So as it looks like no big hitter coming in, maybe the club thought it better to give Luke Killeen the opportunity for a few meetings at a higher level.

Agreed. Although it's not really a few meetings....it's seven meetings, and that's if we don't make the playoffs (which I honestly can't see happening now).

2 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

That would be a sensible suggestion for a team like Birmingham or Lynn who have no chance of the play-offs, very odd attitude for a team can can still finish in the top 4.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

That would be a sensible suggestion for a team like Birmingham or Lynn who have no chance of the play-offs, very odd attitude for a team can can still finish in the top 4.

Lots of people saying the opportunity to get in the playoffs is being thrown away. 

Let's see what happens, the change might be the secret ingredient that brings it all together. Who knows ?

2 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Lots of people saying the opportunity to get in the playoffs is being thrown away. 

Let's see what happens, the change might be the secret ingredient that brings it all together. Who knows ?

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I can't believe anyone other than Peter Schroeck thinks this is the "secret ingredient" to make the play-offs. What about Paco Castagna, Zach Cook, Connor Mountain or Cameron Heeps?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, szkocjasid said:

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I can't believe anyone other than Peter Schroeck thinks this is the "secret ingredient" to make the play-offs. What about Paco Castagna, Zach Cook, Connor Mountain or Cameron Heeps?

After a few years in the doldrums, Heeps has had a bit of a resurgence this year. Been riding very well and entertaining too by all accounts. He’s a good lad is Cam so it’s nice to see. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

After a few years in the doldrums, Heeps has had a bit of a resurgence this year. Been riding very well and entertaining too by all accounts. He’s a good lad is Cam so it’s nice to see. 

I thought the Cheetahs made a mistake keeping him, he's proved me wrong. Think he would be a better choice as reserve for the Spires than Killeen.

Nothing against Killeen, I'm sure he'll be a better option in future seasons.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1