British Speedway Forum

Oxford Spires 2024

On 5/20/2024 at 9:52 AM, szkocjasid said:

I feel the complete opposite way. Now Swindon don't have a team, why would someone turn up at Oxford just to cheer on the opposition?

I guess it depends on the level of rivalry, Edinburgh & Glasgow fans not likely to support each other if one closed, but as Cradley closed nearly 20 years ago could easily see their fans supporting Wolves (last year).

Personally I was a Rye House fan, then an Arena-Essex fan also as soon as they were in a different league.

I would say that it depends on their level of maturity? as opposed to rivalry....as we go North of the Border, doesn't that come down to 'life's' biggest problem....'Religion' ? 

The root of all catastrophe and destruction!

As for the definition of the word 'support'? if one attends any meeting, they are therefore 'supporting' (financially) the Club of which they're attending.

When B'ham closed in 86...I was more than happy to get my speedway fix at Monmore/Dudley Wood/Brandon (spoilt for choice) and saw some great racing/riders....

As I've got older, I'm more a fan of the sport as opposed to the 'colours'!

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

I would say that it depends on their level of maturity? as opposed to rivalry....as we go North of the Border, doesn't that come down to 'life's' biggest problem....'Religion' ? 

The root of all catastrophe and destruction!

As for the definition of the word 'support'? if one attends any meeting, they are therefore 'supporting' (financially) the Club of which they're attending.

When B'ham closed in 86...I was more than happy to get my speedway fix at Monmore/Dudley Wood/Brandon (spoilt for choice) and saw some great racing/riders....

As I've got older, I'm more a fan of the sport as opposed to the 'colours'!

Maturity? Excuse me! How the hell does supporting the opposition instead of converting to support our once rivals make me immature? I never caused any trouble when I was watching speedway at Swindon. I never threatened anyone or had an altercations. I simply wanted Swindon's rivals to win. I was (and am) a fan of speedway, that's why I went and enjoyed myself regardless of the result.... but I never wanted Swindon to win. What's the problem with that?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Getting away from the Oxford thread here. But I'm curious, what would happen if you were an Oxford fan & Hans Nielsen was your all time favourite rider, but Oxford closed. So you'd go to watch Swindon but not become a Swindon fan right? What if Hans signed for Swindon would that have changed anything? If his arch rival Erik Gundersen rode for Swindon's opponents, would you cheer against Erik as a Hans fan & want Swindon to win?

Very hard to say as it's a hypothetical situation, it never happened. The club comes first in my opinion, though. I'd just be happy to watch someone has great as Hans Nielsen riding a speedway bike (what's not to love about that?), but overall still want Swindon to lose. At the end of the day I went to Swindon to watch speedway - that's the main point here, the enjoyment of that always came first before anything else - even the result.

10 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Maturity? Excuse me! How the hell does supporting the opposition instead of converting to support our once rivals make me immature? I never caused any trouble when I was watching speedway at Swindon. I never threatened anyone or had an altercations. I simply wanted Swindon's rivals to win. I was (and am) a fan of speedway, that's why I went and enjoyed myself regardless of the result.... but I never wanted Swindon to win. What's the problem with that?

If the word 'maturity' offends you....may be we could swap the analysis to 'ego-attachment'...if that helps.

No offence intended...just different view point and stance position... :t:

Wednesday will still be Wednesday and all that! 

33 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

If the word 'maturity' offends you....may be we could swap the analysis to 'ego-attachment'...if that helps.

No offence intended...just different view point and stance position... :t:

Wednesday will still be Wednesday and all that! 

It feels incredibly hypocritical that this comes from you. It didn't take much searching in your post history to see how passionate you are about Birmingham... is that immature? Is it an ego-attachment? Just two examples below...

On 4/23/2024 at 12:28 PM, GiveusaB said:

The only positive to take from the first 5 meetings is a draw against Sheffield.

Got lucky with a wet track at Oxford....got lucky with an off night for 'Sayfutinov' at Ipswich.....got beaten at home by an Oxford side without their No.1 and then got walloped at home by a decent Leicester side where their reserves out scored B'ham's heat leaders...

The only saviour was a fortunate 'temporary' signing of Nicholls!

I love Sam and think he's a speedway legend, but his tactical nouse, or lack of, is very questionable so far!

I can't see any positives going forward.

Leicester will hit at least 55 this Thursday!

On 5/8/2024 at 8:28 AM, GiveusaB said:

Sorry to sound repetitive here....

Your post makes sense....

But.....B'ham will NEVER have a so called 'decent' side, so long as LR is involved!

If Tolley wants to throw money at the Club, then he would benefit from paying someone like 'Rossiter' to assemble/manage the Team.

Stop playing at it and take it serious!

Based on your last two posts on this thread anybody would think you didn't care about your own team? You'd drop them the second they did race any more, right? You even went on drunken rant one night showing how passionate you are. But I'm the immature one?! It makes me laugh how hypocritical so many people are on this forum. Be honest and it won't come back to bite you.

15 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

The question marks are a give away. They usual are.

So are spelling mistakes....:D

Sorry, couldn't resist ! 

Had a quick look at your post history and noticed that you like  confrontation....you sound quite bitter, I hope you get better soon! 

You need to loosen up a bit....relax...you will still get to where you're going! :t:

17 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

So are spelling mistakes....:D

Sorry, couldn't resist ! 

Had a quick look at your post history and noticed that you like  confrontation....you sound quite bitter, I hope you get better soon! 

You need to loosen up a bit....relax...you will still get to where you're going! :t:

Spelling mistakes are exactly that....mistakes.

At the end of the day I was interested in what makes you so passionate about Birmingham, but so happy to let them go as soon as they had gone (let's hope that never happens). But you didn't want to answer, which says a lot. You seem to have victimised me because I still stood by and supported Oxford after they left, I was an active member in trying to help them return and I didn't switch to supporting Swindon as a result. At least other people I have disagreed with have been civilised and not resorted to calling me immature because of this. Arnieg took offence, but I'm not sure we fully understood each others' points correctly - I've always had a lot of respect for him and I still don't think we resorted to being unkind as far as I can tell.

Edited by BackInTheDHSS

56 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Spelling mistakes are exactly that....mistakes.

At the end of the day I was interested in what makes you so passionate about Birmingham, but so happy to let them go as soon as they had gone (let's hope that never happens). But you didn't want to answer, which says a lot. You seem to have victimised me because I still stood by and supported Oxford after they left, I was an active member in trying to help them return and I didn't switch to supporting Swindon as a result. At least other people I have disagreed with have been civilised and not resorted to calling me immature because of this. Arnieg took offence, but I'm not sure we fully understood each others' points correctly - I've always had a lot of respect for him and I still don't think we resorted to being unkind as far as I can tell.

In response to a couple of points that you raised (in bold..) if B'ham fold, then they fold...so what ? its life...things come to an end...why worry ?

You say I didn't answer, which says a lot ? (in your opinion...) If I didn't respond, then I'd see that as though it says nothing at all ? :t:

Then I finally see your word 'victimised'....so, I see now that you want to be seen as a victim? 

What's the world coming too!?

P.s I'm more than happy for you to have the last say....fire away! :D

Edited by GiveusaB

38 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

In response to a couple of points that you raised (in bold..) if B'ham fold, then they fold...so what ? its life...things come to an end...why worry ?

You say I didn't answer, which says a lot ? (in your opinion...) If I didn't respond, then I'd see that as though it says nothing at all ? :t:

Then I finally see your word 'victimised'....so, I see now that you want to be seen as a victim? 

What's the world coming too!?

P.s I'm more than happy for you to have the last say....fire away! :D

So you wouldn't care if Birmingham folded? I find that incredibly strange that you therefore care so much when they do exist. Let's hope there are other Birmingham fans who would be more interested in saving the club. 

And you calling me immature for no reason and completely unprovoked isn't victimising someone? It's not what the world is coming to, it's simple English, and the correct use of the word. 

Anyway, as you're happy for me to have the last word and I presume you won't be responding, let's try and get this thread back on track. Did anybody else notice that Peter Schroeck seemed particularly uncomfortable when asked about Lewis Kerr's return at the Chargers match on Sunday? Almost like he didn't want to answer the question. Seemed to me like Kerr won't be coming back.

Edited by BackInTheDHSS

21 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

So you wouldn't care if Birmingham folded? I find that incredibly strange that you therefore care so much when they do exist. Let's hope there are other Birmingham fans who would be more interested in saving the club. 

And you calling me immature for no reason and completely unprovoked isn't victimising someone? It's not what the world is coming to, it's simple English, and the correct use of the word. 

Anyway, as you're happy for me to have the last word and I presume you won't be responding, let's try and get this thread back on track. Did anybody else notice that Peter Schroeck seemed particularly uncomfortable when asked about Lewis Kerr's return at the Chargers match on Sunday? Almost like he didn't want to answer the question. Seemed to me like Kerr won't be coming back.

Where ??? if you're going to make accusations....you will need to back that up with proof?

I merely suggested a different alternative reason to 'rivalry' in szkocjasid's post ?

Show me a post that I've written that says i've called YOU immature? 

I rest my case your honour! :t:

Edited by GiveusaB

7 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Where ??? if you're going to make accusations....you will need to back that up with proof?

I merely suggested a different alternative reason to 'rivalry' in szkocjasid's post ?

Show me a post that I've written that says i've called YOU immature? 

I rest my case your honour! :t:

Sigh... well done for letting it go.

You suggested a different alternative to something szkocjasid said directly to me. It therefore makes you culpable. Deal with it....I'm trying to.

• Confused 1

Interesting little schoolgirl squabble about whether or not Swindon/Oxford/Reading fans should support their local rivals when their track shuts down.

My own feeling is there is no right or wrong answer. It's all down to personal feeling. As the saying goes - you can't choose who you support, they choose you. If you feel it, then support Oxford. If you don't, then don't.

As a Swindon supporter, do I now support Oxford? I was, after all, born in Oxford and lived near to the city as a small child so it should make sense for me to support them as they are now my local team and a track that I have attended regularly over the years right? Nope. No chance! I just can't do it. I tried. I can't. Nothing against Oxford. I go occasionally and enjoy watching.  I just don't care if they win or lose so I can't say I support them.

When I saw Arnie there in his Oxford gear, it reminded me of a line in the film "Dances with Wolves": "You turned injun, din'tcha!"

Had they signed a team with a few of the old Swindon team - as was mentioned - then I might feel different. Would be a bit weird though. Maybe they should bring Rosco in as team manager and sign Jason Doyle. At least they might have a chance of winning the league then!

• Like 2

My point was/is......I wouldn't expect anyone to start supporting (as in the vocal terms) another Club if your preferred Club closed down...but I do find it childish/amusing to attend a different local track  and cheer on a different opposing team week in week out!

I just don't get the mentality in that !?

Each to their own as @grachan' points out!

37 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

My point was/is......I wouldn't expect anyone to start supporting (as in the vocal terms) another Club if your preferred Club closed down...but I do find it childish/amusing to attend a different local track  and cheer on a different opposing team week in week out!

I just don't get the mentality in that !?

Each to their own as @grachan' points out!

1) I never went week in week out.

2) I never went with the intention of supporting the opposition of Swindon. I went with the sole purpose of watching some speedway. But I never ‘converted’ to becoming a Swindon fan just because they were now my local club. They had been Oxford’s rivals for years, so I naturally didn’t want them to win. Some people find that weird. Go figure?

i thought the above two points were abundantly clear from previous posts. 

Edited by BackInTheDHSS

Living in Swindon I wouldnt support Oxfam but they're the local side with over half a team of English riders, a few ex-Robins, the only southern team, and I'm a big fan of Bomber, Wrighty, Magic, and Cookie, so I would like to see them do well. Have always supported my local team, New Cross, Wimbledon, Workington, Swindon.