British Speedway Forum

Speedway of Nations 2024

22 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It would be fantastic to have GP at Belle Vue but financially another big risk if overpriced it again.Cardiff has proved the fans are not prepared to put up with an overpriced Weekend  and Accommodation  and that with a weather guarantee which Manchester doesn’t  give.

Interesting looked at a Premier Inn in Stockport last Weekend for £69 which suggested to me there was not a sellout at NSS.IMO.

How much money do FIM contribute to these smaller venues for GP’s

Speedway in Manchester isn't affecting hotel prices for 7k capacity event, the city is too big for that.  Cardiff is losing out due to high cost and poor product, and the fact it's on every year. There is no a doubt a 1 off GP would sellout at the NSS at last night's prices.  The NSS wouldn't have a GP every year but they could say every 4 years and sell out. 

Finally finished last nights meeting.

Great end to a great week of racing.

Lambert the best rider on show all week, the Latvians impressed as did the Germans. Huckenbeck has to be near the top of Lemons shopping list next year.
Less said about the Danes the better.

Nice to see Zmarzlik show he can’t get going when it’s against him. That tapes exclusion rattled him more than the crash I think. 

Personally thought Kurtz was the right choice but putting him off 4 after GB were so good of 1/3 in the semi, sums Lemons management up for me.

1 hour ago, secsy1 said:

Just proves how lacking in business acumen these people have

That's nonsense, they decided they were prepared to do it, our owners have deep pockets, they can choose to spend there money anyway they want. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJC said:

Finally finished last nights meeting.

Great end to a great week of racing.

Lambert the best rider on show all week, the Latvians impressed as did the Germans. Huckenbeck has to be near the top of Lemons shopping list next year.
Less said about the Danes the better.

Nice to see Zmarzlik show he can’t get going when it’s against him. That tapes exclusion rattled him more than the crash I think. 

Personally thought Kurtz was the right choice but putting him off 4 after GB were so good of 1/3 in the semi, sums Lemons management up for me.

The riders would have told Lemon what gates they wanted .IMO.Although I do agree that I though they would have wanted 1/3

20 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I cannot for the life of me understand that..

Surely the organisers would have told them that they had zero chance of filling it given the ticket prices required to pay for the  stand?

If the capacity was to be 7,000 then, again, the organisers should have said no chance in getting that many at the prices they needed to charge to pay for four meetings worth of costs..

Anyone could see that the prices charged were too high to fill 7,000 spaces, given UK Speedway's tiny following, however, it could be argued, that the prices for the grandstand and back straight were accurate as both were pretty much not far off full..

FWIW, £60 for seating, £40 for standing, and £30 for U16's would have been my thoughts..

It seems to me that Belle Vue speedway hasn't really realised its own worth in this whole deal. It's possible that WBD/FIM need Belle Vue more than Belle Vue needs them. If this year is to be the last Cardiff and if ticket sales are as bad as the last 2 years I highly suspect it will be then where else do you hold a British GP? King's Lynn? Sheffield? Bradford? Can you have a Speedway World Championship credibly without a British round?

If I were Belle Vue I would have told WBD to go do one. If they wanted to see if BV could stage an SoN I would have told them that they already had in 2021 and an SWC in 2016.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

That's nonsense, they decided they were prepared to do it, our owners have deep pockets, they can choose to spend there money anyway they want. 

i also doubt Lemmon would put belle vue in danger by risking the SON  he will have done the costs etc who knows how the temp stand was paid for we all know it was a 6 figure sum ? for all we know he may have got help or the owners stumped up ? who knows ? some comments on here are pure speculation which are not worth reading so many know it all's who actually know nothing !! pretty sure we can look forward to GP'S in future at the NSS no matter what the pricing structure !! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AceBelle said:

i also doubt Lemmon would put belle vue in danger by risking the SON  he will have done the costs etc who knows how the temp stand was paid for we all know it was a 6 figure sum ? for all we know he may have got help or the owners stumped up ? who knows ? some comments on here are pure speculation which are not worth reading so many know it all's who actually know nothing !! pretty sure we can look forward to GP'S in future at the NSS no matter what the pricing structure !! 

It’s a forum,you don’t have to read it.Obviously you know it all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Well done to GB, Lambert the best rider on the night and Bewley backed him up well after those first two rides. 

6 gate ones and a gate 4. You would expect him to score well. Bewley took the less favourable gates all night. when he was off gate four (the one time he was on the favoured gate) he won at ease. When the chips were down, Once again Lambert Gate one. Leaving Bewley to have to come from behind to beat the Aussies. So all those saying What a hero Lambert was ( Yes he rode superb) but how would have faired on the less favourable gates? a different story perhaps?

and drop Bewley after two rides

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's a failing goal. The general public are not paying the prices Belle Vue are asking.

An SGP there would be farcical if Cardiff is also running.

Cardiff won’t be running if we have the GP

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It’s a forum,you don’t have to read it.Obviously you know it all.

nothing to know is there !! it's common sense but thanks for your reply !!

• Thanks 1

wonder how much it costs for warner/discovery to hire cardiff stadium ?? and the work they have to do laying the track ??  a wlsoith this year being last year of the contract  they could save a lot of money if they sacked cardiff and have it at NSS ?? who knows what they will do ?

8 minutes ago, AceBelle said:

wonder how much it costs for warner/discovery to hire cardiff stadium ?? and the work they have to do laying the track ??  a wlsoith this year being last year of the contract  they could save a lot of money if they sacked cardiff and have it at NSS ?? who knows what they will do ?

Don’t know how much it costs but even at 20,000 that’s 5 times the crowd of NSS.Personally would love to see them have it at NSS.Cardiff is just a ritual  Weekend away for lot of fans speedway is secondary.IMO

Edited by Fromafar

10 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t know how much it costs but even at 20,000 that’s 5 times the crowd of NSS.Personally would love to see them have it at NSS.Cardiff is just a ritual  Weekend away for lot of fans speedway is secondary.IMO

And to think a few years ago when Cardiff drew crowds of around 40,000 people were talking about Wembley!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

correct and by the time you add your hotel room it's just as expensive !! it is 2024 everything is costly !! discovery need to promote good racing which NSS gives them compared to cardiff !! don't get me there has been good ones there and plenty good memories but personally i think it's run it's course and time for a change !!

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

And to think a few years ago when Cardiff drew crowds of around 40,000 people were talking about Wembley!

you still have to hire the stadium take up football pitch lay the track lot of work still to be done 

3 minutes ago, AceBelle said:

you still have to hire the stadium take up football pitch lay the track lot of work still to be done 

Eddie Hearn was quoted recently saying Wembley costs £250k to hire for a night of Boxing. Suggest it would take approx 3 Days set up,1 day for actual boxing night  and 2 days breakdown for that figure

• Like 1

Discovery will be looking at what brings in the most money, and that includes sponsorship. 5 or 6,000 at belle vue will be a harder sell compared to 20 to 30,000 at Cardiff. I think cardiff tourist board/authority also supported the staging of the GP financially.

Edited by eric i

2 minutes ago, eric i said:

Discovery will be looking at what brings in the most money, and that includes sponsorship. 5 or 6,000 at belle vue will be a harder sell compared to 20 to 30,000 at Cardiff. I think cardiff tourist board/authority also supported the staging of the GP financially.

The roof is the bonus. IMO.While it was not a GP you have ask why they can’t fill the Stadium .Obviously the majority think they got the pricing wrong , but it shows how much it costs to put on event.Every British Speedway fan would like to see a GP at NSS though.

8 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The roof is the bonus. IMO.While it was not a GP you have ask why they can’t fill the Stadium .Obviously the majority think they got the pricing wrong , but it shows how much it costs to put on event.Every British Speedway fan would like to see a GP at NSS though.

I would like to see a GP at Scunny :) not going to happen though. Discovery are a business looking to maximise their profit for the period of which they hold the rights to the GPs.Whether Belle vue or Cardiff makes the most financial sence is hard to say without any figures for staging costs and sponsorship.

• Like 1