British Speedway Forum

Speedway of Nations 2024

34 minutes ago, DBP said:

The cost for temp stand I believe was£100,000

That wouldn’t surprise me - wow that’s all any profit gone - that could have very serious consequences for BV speedway if they funded it - obviously pricing was all wrong or it been full as it was for World Cup a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Rob B said:

They won’t have done, Mark Lemon admitted few weeks ago they will be making a loss but had to do it to prove can hold a GP. 

Whose paying those prices for a GP though?

Cardiff tickets are going for £20-£45 in far better surroundings.

Can't see Belle Vue offering that kind of value?

3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

There selling point is the track it’s far far better than anything Cardiff can offer

Edited by Haza
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

For me to take my 18 month old grandson in South stand (standing) was £50 no way was that acceptable

1 hour ago, Haza said:

Edited by DBP

1 hour ago, SUPERACE said:

Back straight sold out can't sell anymore that sold out. 

If it was sold out then, the overcrowding at bend 2 exit was normal?

Then obviously the stewards were not doing their job as further down it was less congested?

1 hour ago, SUPERACE said:

That was Average mate, some over £100 in the grandstand, cheapest being £95.  Some can't grasp basic maths, at £30 a ticket a sell out would have made less money.  The only issue I had was kids tickets should of been cheaper. 

Think you should look at the facts and maths.

A temporary grandstand with potential to house approximately 3000 spectators was only open on 1 race night for say 500 paying £85 =£42500

Open for 4 race nights at £5/ticket and over 4 nights full = 12000 x £5 = £60000

Too basic for mere mortals or money grabbing at loss :icon_smile_clown: :icon_smile_clown: :icon_smile_clown:

8 minutes ago, DBP said:

For me to take my 18 month old grandson in South stand (standing) was £50 no way was that acceptable

Wow should have been free admission for anyone under 5 - that’s crazy money 

22 minutes ago, Rob B said:

They won’t have done, Mark Lemon admitted few weeks ago they will be making a loss but had to do it to prove can hold a GP. 

Just proves how lacking in business acumen these people have

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

1400 at £70 to cover that cost :o

I'd be shocked if Belle Vue came out of this week in profit. 

Mark said they won’t make a profit. It’s all for a bigger goal

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

Just proves how lacking in business acumen these people have

There’s a bigger goal for the owners. And that goal is a GP which I imagine will be here in 2025 as discovery we’re very pleased with what belle Vue offered 

4 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Mark said they won’t make a profit. It’s all for a bigger goal

It's a failing goal. The general public are not paying the prices Belle Vue are asking.

An SGP there would be farcical if Cardiff is also running.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Cardiff has 74000 seats so they need to try get people in at lower price but it still will be quarter full. Yet  how nobody comments on that every year.

i suspect if BV held a GP the price would be somewhere in between. 

1 hour ago, secsy1 said:

Then obviously the stewards were not doing their job as further down it was less congested?

A temporary grandstand with potential to house approximately 3000 spectators was only open on 1 race night for say 500 paying £85 =£42500

Open for 4 race nights at £5/ticket and over 4 nights full = 12000 x £5 = £60000

Too basic for mere mortals or money grabbing at loss :icon_smile_clown: :icon_smile_clown: :icon_smile_clown:

And where were those 12000 people going to come from, you could have made it free for the semi finals and still wouldn’t have had many there and people not going to travel from round the country and pay for hotel for 5 days.

exacty the same with Wroclaw being empty last year, and Vojens the year before.

Edited by Rob B
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

There’s a bigger goal for the owners. And that goal is a GP which I imagine will be here in 2025 as discovery we’re very pleased with what belle Vue offered 

It would be fantastic to have GP at Belle Vue but financially another big risk if overpriced it again.Cardiff has proved the fans are not prepared to put up with an overpriced Weekend  and Accommodation  and that with a weather guarantee which Manchester doesn’t  give.

Interesting looked at a Premier Inn in Stockport last Weekend for £69 which suggested to me there was not a sellout at NSS.IMO.

How much money do FIM contribute to these smaller venues for GP’s

Well if a GP was held at the NSS,I would certainly pay more for a ticket than I would do for Cardiff.If Cardiff is an average of £20-£40,then I would happily pay an average of between £40-£60 for a GP in Manchester.Simply because the racing is far superior.

I use to go every year to Cardiff but haven't been there last probably 5 years.You realise you got swayed by the atmosphere rather than the racing.Yes it would be great to have the atmosphere/racing go hand in hand,but it doesn't in Cardiff.So give me proper racing any day so the NSS wins hands down.

Edited by tellboy
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

Discovery don't want other tracks hosting it I'm afraid, and the temp stand was a discovery no option request.  It wasn't needed but Belle Vue had no choice.

I cannot for the life of me understand that..

Surely the organisers would have told them that they had zero chance of filling it given the ticket prices required to pay for the  stand?

If the capacity was to be 7,000 then, again, the organisers should have said no chance in getting that many at the prices they needed to charge to pay for four meetings worth of costs..

Anyone could see that the prices charged were too high to fill 7,000 spaces, given UK Speedway's tiny following, however, it could be argued, that the prices for the grandstand and back straight were accurate as both were pretty much not far off full..

FWIW, £60 for seating, £40 for standing, and £30 for U16's would have been my thoughts..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, secsy1 said:

Yes it's possible to stand anywhere once you are in the South stand so there is always more stood in S2 than S4.

Great maths pal, but if you make that stand £5.00 per ticket then nobody is paying the £65.00 for the sold out South stand or £85 to £105 for almost sold out Grand Stand.

They made around £300k (34k ISH from east stand) from last night so your plan would be financial suicide.  Also you are not selling out that stand for the semi finals or SON2 regardless of the price.  

Edited by SUPERACE

4 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I cannot for the life of me understand that..

Surely the organisers would have told them that they had zero chance of filling it given the ticket prices required to pay for the  stand?

If the capacity was to be 7,000 then, again, the organisers should have said no chance in getting that many at the prices they needed to charge to pay for four meetings worth of costs..

Anyone could see that the prices charged were too high to fill 7,000 spaces, given UK Speedway's tiny following, however, it could be argued, that the prices for the grandstand and back straight were accurate as both were pretty much not far off full..

FWIW, £60 for seating, £40 for standing, and £30 for U16's would have been my thoughts..

I fully agree mike.  Total common sense post. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Well if a GP was held at the NSS,I would certainly pay more for a ticket than I would do for Cardiff.If Cardiff is an average of £20-£40,then I would happily pay an average of between £40-£60 for a GP in Manchester.Simply because the racing is far superior.

I use to go every year to Cardiff but haven't been there last probably 5 years.You realise you got swayed by the atmosphere rather than the racing.Yes it would be great to have the atmosphere/racing go hand in hand,but it doesn't in Cardiff.So give me proper racing any day so the NSS wins hands down.

If they can lay the same track here as they did for Warsaw, £20 will be a bargain. They’ve got more floor space at the principality so it shouldn’t be a problem to replicate size and shape.
Big ask though!