British Speedway Forum

Speedway of Nations 2024

40 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

All these free links can't be helping WB/discovery+ income stream?    Unlike BSN, they don't seem to make much effort to block 'em? 

Dick, are you seriously saying Discovery/WB aren't making a complete mint out of speedway? They are charging crazy amounts to clubs to stage these events. 

As for the streams, Russian streamers can beat anyone trying to block them. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, KIRKYLANE said:

Considering the weather for the first three meetings, big plaudits to the track staff for getting the meetings on and producing good racing in most difficult conditions.

A massive congratulations to all of the riders for putting in some excellent efforts and hard aggressive riding.

Hopefully weather will be kind for what should be a great final today.

Finally putting on 28 races in 2 hours 15 mins was extraordinary.

At times it almost felt like the races were too quick, no time to grab a snack / toilet break etc. Probably be worse for fans attending live. But when the weather's bad, gotta do what they gotta do.

Actually could've been quicker of the avoided the needless two-on-the-trots.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, gmarsbar2 said:

Oh let's just stage it at Poole then. But wait they don't have a race track!

How many speedway tracks are there in the south? Far less than up north 

Steve was not having a dig about the venue, I live in Brighton so I can't make it in person so I pay my money to discovery+ hoping that filters down to the sport in a small way.

And about your dig about the lack of tracks in the south, call yourself a fan of the sport?

I, along with others have tried our best to get the sport back to Arlington and I know our friends at Lakeside have done the same.

Edited by M.D

53 minutes ago, stewmac said:

Dick, are you seriously saying Discovery/WB aren't making a complete mint out of speedway? They are charging crazy amounts to clubs to stage these events. 

As for the streams, Russian streamers can beat anyone trying to block them. 

Dick is  probably watching one tonight.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Odds On said:

any weather updates please, thank you.

Don't worry about the weather, forecast is dry all night, it's perfect Speedway weather. 

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I understand Belle Vue's point that they have to charge a lot to pay for the event, but if they only get 4,000 when they would have got 7,000 if it was £10 cheaper a head, then it hasn't worked out.

If they can guarantee a sell out, by all means make it expensive, but surely they considered the high ticket prices would put many people off?

Ultimately we'll never know which is the best way to go, as every fan will have a different idea on what constitutes "value for money"

Value for money is surely decent racing on a well prepared race track and a reasonable entry price, coupled with good weather and a pleasant and good atmosphere.

Cardiff used to supply most of these but in recent years it rips off on tickets, hotels and food which even with a lovely stadium that isn’t weather affected has seen its attendances halved to what it used to get, which is why they have given away so many freebies.

Unfortunately Belle Vue don’t have a roof and is adversely affected when it’s wet as seen this week in all three meetings so far which have been dreadful, it’s not hard to see why most people these days watch it on tv, I have watched all the Cardiff GP,s live apart from the last two and don’t anticipate going to a live one again.

It just isn’t value for money.

1 hour ago, gjcone44 said:

amazing how they had riders coming out at same time riders going back to pits, these young lads pulling wheelies no helmet on,  :drink:brilliant to see people being reasonable for their own actions,,

The health and safety brigade must have been doing their nut!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, M.D said:

Steve was not having a dig about the venue, I live in Brighton so I can't make it in person so I pay my money to discovery+ hoping that filters down to the sport in a small way.

And about your dig about the lack of tracks in the south, call yourself a fan of the sport?

I, along with others have tried our best to get the sport back to Arlington and I know our friends at Lakeside have done the same.

Steve said Manchester was the wrong end of the country. My point was for the majority of active speedway supporters it's not. FYI Manchester is about 200 from Poole and similar from Glasgow where I've travelled from. 

I wished there was more tracks not just in the south but all over the UK. I remember way back in the day when there was more teams in the National League than there is venues now

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Unfortunately Belle Vue don’t have a roof and is adversely affected when it’s wet as seen this week in all three meetings so far which have been dreadful, it’s not hard to see why most people these days watch it on tv, I have watched all the Cardiff GP,s live apart from the last two and don’t anticipate going to a live one again.

Though the crowds will no doubt have been adversely affect by the weather, the racing certainly has not. Despite the rain the track has been terrific on each occasion with lots of great racing and passing throughout. Just because there is a bit of spray and mud flying doesn't mean the racing is poor!

If anything it has been a remarkable achievement to proceed essentially unaffected despite rain falling all week. Well done Belle Vue, all the riders, and everyone involved!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

Not just the pricing structure.

Imagine Fifa organising a World Cup without Mbappe and Messi.

Imagine F1 organising a Championship without Max and Lewis.

Imagine Wimbledon without Djokovic and Nadal.

By excluding Artem & Emil from this event, the FIM have shot themselves in the foot.

Imagine having a forum without its resident idiot

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Value for money is surely decent racing on a well prepared race track and a reasonable entry price, coupled with good weather and a pleasant and good atmosphere.

Cardiff used to supply most of these but in recent years it rips off on tickets, hotels and food which even with a lovely stadium that isn’t weather affected has seen its attendances halved to what it used to get, which is why they have given away so many freebies.

It just isn’t value for money.

You can get a decent enough tickets for £20, thats less than Premiership meeting, Its definitely not ticket prices putting people off. Hotel prices are a killer though, £200 to £400 near city centre on gp day 

1 hour ago, iainb said:

The health and safety brigade must have been doing their nut!

They will have to wear hi viz tonight to do the same....:D

Fanzone was OK....

Hovering around South Stand waiting for an upgrade chance...:D

• Haha 1