British Speedway Forum

Speedway of Nations 2024

7 hours ago, mikebv said:

Especially with no advertising of the event locally...

Or none that I have seen..

Four meetings in so few days is the main issue...

You could maybe have got 7,000, paying circa £50 in average, for one meeting on Saturday if that was the only meeting...

And with 7,000 being between one third and one quarter of the whole of UK Speedways weekly following, that would have been some achievement .

I don't think the 4 meetings make a difference mate, Im only going tonight, so no reason to stop others only going tonight, it's definitely the prices.  That said around 3.4k sold for tonight as of yesterday, so at these prices it is like a gate of about 12k for a normal league match with everyone paying the £24 adult price.

57 minutes ago, screm said:

Currently cloudy but dry, romour has the ref has found his glasses and bottle and will be able to make better decisions than he did last night.

why what is he going to be drinking?

Edited by gjcone44

With it being in TV and Manchester the wrong end of the country it didn’t enter my mind to travel all that way to watch Poland win again. And £50 for a ticket? Who the hell made that price up? £30 more realistic.

I shall be cheering in GB from the comfort of my lounge, having spent the grand total of zero. A trip to this would be £100 fuel, £50 ticket, food plus car park, easily over £200. No wonder ticket sales are so poor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Speedway not the only sport with attendance issues. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9VTImzsKmy/?igsh=MWQxd3dvYjM1YmZoaQ==

At least they'll have paid for a ticket though and the whole event will have been underwritten by TV money and sponsorship. 

Think you will find that most of the empty seats were fans away for a break or food after 1st Semi Final.It filled up again.Same with Women’s Semi Final matches.Unfortunately that is not the case at Belle Vue. Cursed by the weather doesn’t help either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

With it being in TV and Manchester the wrong end of the country it didn’t enter my mind to travel all that way to watch Poland win again. And £50 for a ticket? Who the hell made that price up? £30 more realistic.

I shall be cheering in GB from the comfort of my lounge, having spent the grand total of zero. A trip to this would be £100 fuel, £50 ticket, food plus car park, easily over £200. No wonder ticket sales are so poor.

yes stick next to your keyboard, more exciting.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think you will find that most of the empty seats were fans away for a break or food after 1st Semi Final.It filled up again.Same with Women’s Semi Final matches.Unfortunately that is not the case at Belle Vue. Cursed by the weather doesn’t help either.

You have to question whether they are "fans" then if that is the case... or freebie comps

• Like 1

Just now, iainb said:

You have to question whether they are "fans" then if that is the case... or freebie comps

Would agree,think there are lots of Complimentary freebies about at Wimbledon. Corporate stuff.Just like Speedway Pits at times.

1 hour ago, SUPERACE said:

I don't think the 4 meetings make a difference mate, Im only going tonight, so no reason to stop others only going tonight, it's definitely the prices.  That said around 3.4k sold for tonight as of yesterday, so at these prices it is like a gate of about 12k for a normal league match with everyone paying the £24 adult price.

I think the pricing structure tonight is built to help pay for the costs of the other meetings..

Hotel and Transport costs for so many riders and FIM delegates must be huge given the timescale and amount of people..

Maybe the two semis for £25 and £40 combined, and the SON 2 for £20 would have got more there? 

With a £60 to £40 spread for the Final..

I am going tonight, and £55 is top end for me to stand and watch any sporting event, let alone one for such a minority sport..

Hopefully a nice upgrade...:D

Edited by mikebv

12 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

What are the catering facilities like on the back straight? Is it the same options as the grandstand?

Ropey burgers pies and chips and a bar with draft beer etc

44 minutes ago, NickB said:

Ropey burgers pies and chips and a bar with draft beer etc

Pretty standard stuff then. Do you know if they sell Inch’s cider like the grandstand do? Otherwise I’ll go in the pub prior if it’s only dodgy beer 

Edited by Islander15

3 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Pretty standard stuff then. Do you know if they sell Inch’s cider like the grandstand do? Otherwise I’ll go in the pub prior if it’s only dodgy beer 

I went on tuesday. Catering was worse than normal ( god knows how thats possible) 5 staff watching 1 working. Expect beer to run out by 7pm like in previous years 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SUPERACE said:

Upgrade? I wont be swapping my back straight ticket to sit there, the South Stand is by far the best place to watch from at the NSS.  I sat in that East Stand for the world cup and it's nowhere near as good as the South Stand .

Fair play, I’ve never been on the back straight as the only time I was at the NSS I was in the main grandstand and that few was superb.  I expect a fair few people will accept the transfer to a grandstand if offered.

But it shows how wrong they got the pricing that nearly a third of tickets are unsold at one of the best racetracks in the world for a world championship event.

Edited by Tim G

58 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Yep, have Inch's on draft

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stewmac said:

All these free links can't be helping WB/discovery+ income stream?    Unlike BSN, they don't seem to make much effort to block 'em? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Oh let's just stage it at Poole then. But wait they don't have a race track!

How many speedway tracks are there in the south? Far less than up north