British Speedway Forum

Speedway of Nations 2024

I hear discovery have launched a new competition for the speedway of nations that you can participate in from your home infront of your tv, it’s  called spot the freeloader in the pits, I have been playing this game for a few years now, you always get the usual suspects but the SON promises to be something special as nobody can afford to pay to get in at those prices 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I hear discovery have launched a new competition for the speedway of nations that you can participate in from you home infront of your tv, it’s  called spot the freeloader in the pits, I have been playing this game for a few years now, you always get the usual suspects but the SON promises to be something special as nobody can afford to pay to get in at those prices 

Ooh, cynical, cynical... :t:

On 4/18/2024 at 5:12 PM, London Racer said:

Personally I feel the pricing for this event is a scandal. £95 for a child to sit in the main stand for the final? We are meant to be a family sport?? £65 to stand on the back straight?? Way above a premier league pricing structure… who and why set these prices??

I just did a comparison...

In 1981, it cost me £10 for a seat at the Wembley World Final. A tenner then is the equivalent of £56 today - so yes, those ARE ridiculous prices...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Road closures for what ? Crowd will be no more than the British final for the final and I expect crowd in the semi finals to be on par with a national league meeting, will the extra stand be needed? Speedway in general needs a reality check, it’s down in the basement of it’s popularity and it needs to encourage people to go and you won’t do that by charging what is huge money for a lot of people, I am I suppose a target audience, I love my sport, I have been to belle vue a couple of times this season despite living 80miles away but I can’t justify £300 for me the Mrs and the lad for one meeting not including diesel, food, don’t try to justify it by saying well the price of this and that is more etc . over priced and IS putting off people going 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Can anyone on here remember the ticket prices for the last time belle vue held the SON , 2021 ? 

I think I paid £90 for two standing tickets in the 3rd/4th bend section...

And that was for BOTH matches on the Sat/Sun..

And then got invited onto the Monster rig by Joe! So spent Sat and Sun watching from the top of there with my lad, talking with Chris Holder, and consuming plenty of Mexican lager and food!!! 

(Well worth Ninety Quid!):D

They should have just ran the SON2 event and the Final at the NSS..

With the Semis ran elsewhere around the country.. (Glasgow/Poole?) Thus spreading the cost around and creating a UK wide "Festival of Speedway" to advertise...

I cannot see too many coming from the south or the north for four matches, with all the hotel costs required. Or, if no hotel stay, being prepared to make eight very long journeys in a few days. (With the subsequent fuel costs)...

They won't need that extra seating I think,...

They may end up doing a "City" and giving hundreds of tickets away to local schools and organisations to make the place look full....;)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Can anyone on here remember the ticket prices for the last time belle vue held the SON , 2021 ? 

There's an old sign dumped in the maintenance yard behind the south stand that I've noticed... I think it said £23

Was this the last year that IMG had the rights?

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, iainb said:

There's an old sign dumped in the maintenance yard behind the south stand that I've noticed... I think it said £23

Was this the last year that IMG had the rights?

Makes sense if I remember paying around £45 for two for both nights.....

At the time I remember thinking what "great value" it was considering I paid not much less than that to watch the Aces, and now had the chance to see the Worlds best in action for just a few quid more.. 

My lad paid £55 for a standing ticket for me as a Father's Day present which I am obviously grateful for, but  personally think it is an outrageous sum for such a minority sport... 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Makes sense if I remember paying around £45 for two for both nights.....

At the time I remember thinking what "great value" it was considering I paid not much less than that to watch the Aces, and now had the chance to see the Worlds best in action for just a few quid more.. 

My lad paid £55 for a standing ticket for me as a Father's Day present which I am obviously grateful for, but  personally think it is an outrageous sum for such a minority sport... 

They didn't have the big temporary stand in 2021, if the prices this year are to pay for that it seems an almost suicidal commercial decision.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, iainb said:

They didn't have the big temporary stand in 2021, if the prices this year are to pay for that it seems an almost suicidal commercial decision.

Surely even Speedway promoters wouldn't have a plan of...

"Let's order a big temporary stand that will cost us a fortune, meaning that to pay for it, we then have to set huge admission prices that not enough people will be able to afford to use it"..

But then again....:rolleyes::D

Edited by mikebv

On 6/21/2024 at 9:26 PM, iainb said:

It was a mandatory condition set by Discovery to host it, before committing to it I would have presumed they had some financial backing but it seems not. 

Do the nations still have to name squads or just the three they are going with? 
Either way, does anyone know when they have to be named by? 

The majority seem to pick themselves but interested to see who makes up spot 3 for the Swedes and Danes.

2 hours ago, DJC said:

Do the nations still have to name squads or just the three they are going with? 
Either way, does anyone know when they have to be named by? 

The majority seem to pick themselves but interested to see who makes up spot 3 for the Swedes and Danes.

Last week I think... Lemo mentioned 2 dates on the British speedway podcast, both of which have now passed. I'm sure 1 was for the squad and the other for the teams. I could be wrong though I wasn't fully listening

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Last week I think... Lemo mentioned 2 dates on the British speedway podcast, both of which have now passed. I'm sure 1 was for the squad and the other for the teams. I could be wrong though I wasn't fully listening

Teams had to by the 18th June name their squad of up to 5 riders.

By the 3rd July the teams have to nominate their 3 rider team- an injured rider can be changed after this date and during the comp. This rider brought in can be one not named in the orginal squad.

Teams must not be announced apart from by the FIM or the SON promoter.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Teams had to by the 18th June name their squad of up to 5 riders.

By the 3rd July the teams have to nominate their 3 rider team- an injured rider can be changed after this date and during the comp. This rider brought in can be one not named in the orginal squad.

Teams must not be announced apart from by the FIM or the SON promoter.

Presumably it’ll be done during the GP coverage on the weekend then.

The cynic in me thinks Fricke isn’t in the 3 after his performance last night. Not seen him that quick or aggressive before, looked like he had a point to prove