British Speedway Forum

Promoters Conference

10 hours ago, iainb said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again you cannot be failed to be impressed when you first attend a Speedway match (Unless you've attended a shambles that we occasionally get). It's when you take a deep dive into the sport as you become more interested in it that it starts to let you down. It'll be interesting to see how your grandson retains his interest as he gets more into it and dare I say it Sheffield don't manage to put a serious challenge in to retain their title

I think his interest in the sport of speedway will keep him going (well I hope it does) because apart from following Sheffield he is a supporter of speedway in general as many times since he has started going we have taken a trip down the M1 to Leicester for matches (Lions and Cubs) and also down the A1 to Peterborough. Its funny the wife and I can see that he has the same enthusiasm for the sport that we both had back in the 70s only these days he has the internet, YouTube and the likes of BSN to keep his interest going (which is a lot better than just the speedway Star and mail along with programme notes and word of mouth going around the terraces that we had ;))

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyd said:

I think his interest in the sport of speedway will keep him going (well I hope it does) because apart from following Sheffield he is a supporter of speedway in general as many times since he has started going we have taken a trip down the M1 to Leicester for matches (Lions and Cubs) and also down the A1 to Peterborough. Its funny the wife and I can see that he has the same enthusiasm for the sport that we both had back in the 70s only these days he has the internet, YouTube and the likes of BSN to keep his interest going (which is a lot better than just the speedway Star and mail along with programme notes and word of mouth going around the terraces that we had ;))

That's great to hear my friends lads 14 and doesn't get to go as much as he likes and always watches the live streams with me also, but as a brand obsessed 14 yr. old he's rarely not got his oxford shirt on absolute loves it. I think speedway as a has a bigger growing youth support basis than they realise I see the same kids week in week out at oxford all with there horns etc.

Edited by mel
  • Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 9:13 PM, mikebv said:

How very dare you...

Maybe they could stream it in action and let us watch it on our smart phones during the meeting?

We could also maybe have a competition called "Guess the start time" measured from the Green light to tapes up...

And also publish the mean start time averages of the 15 heats in the Speedway Star each week...

I also presume the refs now get paid less as they no longer risk their lives pressing a start button for our entertainment a minimum 15 times a night..? 

If refs get paid less they wouldn’t get anything.

On 11/18/2023 at 10:29 PM, GWC said:

Len Silver ran second half racing consistently for years. It gave track time to the NL side Rye House ran alongside the rockets.

It was professional but I’m told it didn’t come cheap but then Len was totally committed to young GB riders.

Just a shame he wasn’t committed to shale on a track and watering it to prevent dust.

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Yes, the BSPL would rescind the track licences of Birmingham and Oxford and put them "on ice"

I will watch to see what help Oxford and Birmingham receive from the other promoters.

How could that  do that to Oxford ....will there be help to fulfil all rider places at all tracks....

12 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

Talking Crap again.

I remember, Len coming out after every heat on his tractor, 2 laps and in again. Never delayed meetings as always finished within 90 mins. If there was a break he's be out with the hose.

Absolutely Kev . Hope you are well.

13 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

Talking Crap again.

I remember, Len coming out after every heat on his tractor, 2 laps and in again. Never delayed meetings as always finished within 90 mins. If there was a break he's be out with the hose.

That would've been when he went round straight away as soon as the race was over

Now the Tractor is not allowed to move whilst any rider remains on the track - hence the programmed grading breaks

I do agree though it doesn't have to take an age ans could be done more than after 4 , 7 ,11 and 14

I've never understood why many get so upset with trackwork - done right it improves the racing and surely that's what people want....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

That would've been when he went round straight away as soon as the race was over

Now the Tractor is not allowed to move whilst any rider remains on the track - hence the programmed grading breaks

I do agree though it doesn't have to take an age ans could be done more than after 4 , 7 ,11 and 14

I've never understood why many get so upset with trackwork - done right it improves the racing and surely that's what people want....

This has amazed me over the past few years, we used to moan if the tractors - and rakers - didnt come out after every heat. They didnt delay racing, they graded during the natural gap. Now people moan because they come out at all! 

7 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I, too, have never understood why people get so upset about the tractor making an appearance. We used to enjoy the break in racing by having a good old chat amongst ourselves to pass the time.

9 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I remember at Newport, Scott Smith ( the other one) doing a victory lap, the tractor was out, he laid the bike down before hitting the tractor, and the bike stood perfectly upright and continued around the track standing up on the rake behind the tractor

Edited by piston197
name change
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I, too, have never understood why people get so upset about the tractor making an appearance. We used to enjoy the break in racing by having a good old chat amongst ourselves to pass the time.

You would probably enjoy it even more at Cowley now as the promoter grades the track  then comes out on the bowser insisting on doing it all himself so the breaks are doubled such fun.

Edited by Toady

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Have you ever been to a Speedway meeting alone, as many of us do? On a cold spring or autumn night the allure of watching a tractor (seemingly) endlessly going around the track, soon wears off.