British Speedway Forum

Promoters Conference

15 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Correct.  You see, unlike the people just making stuff up, I actually got a quote for a flight to see what it cost.     At the time I posted, a flight for me on the day the AGM starts and returning on the day it finishes was £58.  But if I booked for different dates, with around a fortnight's notice, the cheapest I could get it down to was £31 round trip. 

Similarly there was a plentiful supply of hotels where 2 nights in Tenerife were cheaper than two nights in a Premier Inn standard of hotel in Coventry.   But why go to the trouble of looking up the prices like you and I did, when you can just post made-up drivel?

Do you actually believe it's cheaper to go to tenerife rather than Rugby? Or still trying to wind the previous poster up, I'm intrigued haha.

54 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

OK, it's not £31, but you can currently get flights to Tenerife from Gatwick for a £40 round trip. Hardly breaking the bank.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 21.17.49.png

Not very good if your from worky, at least 2.5 hours from nearest airport and 350 miles from Gatwick each way , about £150 in petrol 

7 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Do you actually believe it's cheaper to go to tenerife rather than Rugby? Or still trying to wind the previous poster up, I'm intrigued haha.

Why would "believe" come into it?  I've only stated facts.  Almost everyone has access to the internet, and should be capable of googling cheap flights.   It's only the same as flying to the G.P.s in Poland at a fraction of the cost of driving to the Cardiff G.P, as many do every year.

37 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Correct.  You see, unlike the people just making stuff up, I actually got a quote for a flight to see what it cost.     At the time I posted, a flight for me on the day the AGM starts and returning on the day it finishes was £58.  But if I booked for different dates, with around a fortnight's notice, the cheapest I could get it down to was £31 round trip. 

Similarly there was a plentiful supply of hotels where 2 nights in Tenerife were cheaper than two nights in a Premier Inn standard of hotel in Coventry.   But why go to the trouble of looking up the prices like you and I did, when you can just post made-up drivel?

What a load of baloney.  You used a Ryanair price and we all know those prices are nowhere near the total prices with all the add ons that just bring it back up to its truw final price.

You say hotels are cheaper than the UK.  They aren't.  How many stars?  Minus 10?

Its a joke - just like the Mickey Mouse conference. :drink:

24 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Why? If it isn't about money, then why does it matter where it is? 

To be professional, business-like and concentrate on the serious matters in hand.  They haven't a clue how to be professional and business-like, they obviously haven't a clue how to conduct themselves.

6 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Why would "believe" come into it?  I've only stated facts.  Almost everyone has access to the internet, and should be capable of googling cheap flights.   It's only the same as flying to the G.P.s in Poland at a fraction of the cost of driving to the Cardiff G.P, as many do every year.

Wow, you must be truly deluded then or have never flown from an airport. Would love to see your breakdown of costs. It's also a real misconception that flying to a Poland GP is cheaper overall, because of the same said 'hidden' costs of budget airlines, airport parking/extras, distance to airport, hotels at airport etc. Poland has very much caught up with hotel prices.

It's okay googling flights or using Skyscanner, what is your cost before getting to said destination. If you can get from Workington to Tenerife for under £250 you are a miracle worker, would be more like £350, then similar priced hotels on top at least £200 (i've looked these are the cheapest).  2 nights in Coventry Premier Inn is less than £200.

Sick of replying with the same FACTS now, I'm struggling to understand how you don't get how it works?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

I'll state another fact for you, it's technically free to get to Rugby. Now work that one out and see how daft it sounds...

It's basically the same way you'd get to fly to Tenerife for £58

7 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Then fly from somewhere closer!

Newcastle is just £50 return.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 22.58.19.png

Only saving 30 minutes by going to Newcastle, still 2 hours to get there. That flight is actually £100 if you want to check a bag in and have a seat.

Oh and pay £74.99 for the pleasure of parking. Starts to add up and that's just a fraction of it.

9 hours ago, Marksman said:

Only saving 30 minutes by going to Newcastle, still 2 hours to get there. That flight is actually £100 if you want to check a bag in and have a seat.

Oh and pay £74.99 for the pleasure of parking. Starts to add up and that's just a fraction of it.

You don't NEED to do all of those things if you're on a budget, though. Take any seat you're allocated, don't check a bag (it's only three days) and ask someone to drop you off (or take a bus). It's up to the individual what they want to pay. Regardless, my point is some people are making it out to be significantly more expensive than it is. I'm not claiming it's cheaper than holding it in the UK, but the cost of Tenerife is in the hundreds not the thousands. The environmental issue should be a bigger focus than the financial issue.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

You don't NEED to do all of those things if you're on a budget, though. Take any seat you're allocated, don't check a bag (it's only three days) and ask someone to drop you off (or take a bus). It's up to the individual what they want to pay. Regardless, my point is some people are making it out to be significantly more expensive than it is. I'm not claiming it's cheaper than holding it in the UK, but the cost of Tenerife is in the hundreds not the thousands. The environmental issue should be a bigger focus than the financial issue.

But if you live in the real world, and not a London bubble, these are the costs

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GS550 said:

There's just no need for it to be in Tenerife.  End of.

There's no argument.  It just doesn't need to be there.

It is perfectly simple.  There is imply no need for it to be in Tenerife.

12 hours ago, GS550 said:

They haven't a clue how to conduct themselves.

They haven't a clue how to be professional or how to conduct themselves.

They have no idea how to be professional and business-like and how to conduct themselves.

There is simply no need for it to be in Tenerife.

Again, they haven't a clue how to be professional and business-like and how to conduct themselves.

Stop beating about the bush and tell us what you really think! ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marksman said:

But if you live in the real world, and not a London bubble, these are the costs

I didn't realise they don't have buses in the North....or that all Northerners must check in baggage....or that they must have an allocated seat on a plane. Do me a favour!