British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue 2024

6 hours ago, SUPERACE said:

That's a great post apart from the fact he hadn't ridden in Poland or Sweden since his injury. 

I didn't say he had ridden in Poland or Sweden,but he did ride in Slovakia:)

10 hours ago, Rob B said:

He missed ONE meeting for Belle Vue. After probably fooshily riding in the GP qualifier with damaged damaged ligaments he then ended up in hospital the next day, ever since he hasn’t ridden in Sweden; Poland or UK since. I think the SCB would have said something trying to ride with this on :

https://x.com/theaces/status/1797225908480163937?s=46&t=dIBO1b0Z20UuRPqs9f-4pg

Today was  first meeting back since 25 May, I’m 99.9% sure he will be at Sheffield on Thursday.  

He actually missed 2 meetings (so far) for Belle Vue, at Oxford after getting injured abroad, he then returned for the GP qualifier, then missed the next Belle Vue match... but don't let the facts get in the way :)

He’s riding through the pain barrier. No where near fit enough but he’s giving it a go. 

Everyone should know by now that when it comes to Sports, Mancunian Clubs are assigned a different set of rules to everyone else to a point where they can get away with anything and everything.

• Haha 1

The precedent has been set by Musielak / King's Lynn. If Kurtz would rather just race in Poland for the next 4 weeks, he can take a 28 day suspension, then come back & all is forgiven. Belle Vue get to use guests or r/r. Everyone's happy (except the fans).

1 minute ago, szkocjasid said:

The precedent has been set by Musielak / King's Lynn. If Kurtz would rather just race in Poland for the next 4 weeks, he can take a 28 day suspension, then come back & all is forgiven. Belle Vue get to use guests or r/r. Everyone's happy (except the fans).

Spot on correct :t: see musielak scored well today also :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, AceBelle said:

Spot on correct :t: see musielak scored well today also :rolleyes:

The whole point of a suspension, is to punish the rider, but not the team, doesn't work if the rider is happy to take a month off though.

Maybe they need to change the rule to 75% guests?

2 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

The whole point of a suspension, is to punish the rider, but not the team, doesn't work if the rider is happy to take a month off though.

Fair shout :t:

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

The precedent was set years ago with Collins and Carter. 

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

The whole point of a suspension, is to punish the rider, but not the team,

doesn't work if the rider is happy to take a month off though.

Maybe they need to change Maybe  the rule to 75% guests?

But that would punish the team!!

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

53 minutes ago, GregoryM said:

But that would punish the team!!

Which is my question. Should the rules be changed, even if it hinders the team?

37 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Yep! I think if it screws the whole team, riders are less likely to pick and choose their meetings (I take it we are talking more generally now, rather than certain riders?). Unless they really don't care and then they will just carry on doing it. 

43 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Well, let's say that if a rule existed that purposely weakened one of the teams in meeting I had planned to pay to attend (due to no fault whatsoever of the team concerned) then I would not be parting with my money and wouldn't attend. 

We may put up with a lot of weird rules, but a rule which intentionally 'robbed' me of seeing two full  strength sides would be a rule too far for me to pay to attend such a meeting every single time.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GregoryM said:

Well, let's say that if a rule existed that purposely weakened one of the teams in meeting I had planned to pay to attend (due to no fault whatsoever of the team concerned) then I would not be parting with my money and wouldn't attend. 

We may put up with a lot of weird rules, but a rule which intentionally 'robbed' me of seeing two full  strength sides would be a rule too far for me to pay to attend such a meeting every single time.

But that rule already exists if a rider is missing and no facility is allowed (Doyle & Tungate missing flights for example) then the club is weakened.

The rules basically say if a rider misses a flight through no fault of their own you get a 75% guest, but if they want to take a break from GB but ride abroad you get a 100% guest.

That's why I questioned it, if there's a situation when the authorities deem it acceptable for a club to ride understrength with guests, is a rider withholding their services a scenario that warrants this ruling?

Kinda getting away from Belle Vue now, if Kurtz has made a comeback in Poland, then I'd expect him to be back for the next Aces match.

5 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Kinda getting away from Belle Vue now, if Kurtz has made a comeback in Poland, then I'd expect him to be back for the next Aces match.

This has already happened, granted it wasn't Poland... it was Slovakia.

Also Tungate got a ban Doyle didn't...

And you can throw Lee Complin into the case, as he was banned with no facility allowed until the next day!

Edited by iainb

16 minutes ago, iainb said:

This has already happened, granted it wasn't Poland... it was Slovakia.

Also Tungate got a ban Doyle didn't...

And you can throw Lee Complin into the case, as he was banned with no facility allowed until the next day!

I do wish people would word things correctly, Doyle did not miss his flight, he was sitting on the plane waiting for it to take off when all the passengers had to disembark due to a technical fault.

• Like 3

The boneheaded lot that run this sport have amended a perfectly adequate rule for one that now favours guests. That necessary evil of the sport is being implemented unnecessarily. All this due to the fact they removed the long term injury clause from the 75% rule. Unbelievable!

We’ve all seen teams over the years decimated by injury and taking to the track with only one member of the top five in place and rest full of guests. Should this happen at play off time and be long term injuries then the plumb event of the year would be (another) farce. Might not happen you say, don’t run your sport where you implement rules that see you crossing your fingers in the hope you don’t become a laughing stock, I say. 

The other crazy scenario we now have is riders from Belle Vue and Kings Lynn could get injured in Poland in the same race in August and one team could sign a replacement, the other not. 

Thank god nobody is watching anymore. 

Edited by ouch

11 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

I do wish people would word things correctly, Doyle did not miss his flight, he was sitting on the plane waiting for it to take off when all the passengers had to disembark due to a technical fault.

It doesn't really matter that he missed his flight tbh, he missed the meeting which is what the rule says

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

It doesn't really matter that he missed his flight tbh, he missed the meeting which is what the rule says

All rules are subject to plain and simple common sense though...

2 minutes ago, BluTiger said:

All rules are subject to plain and simple common sense though...

If only that were true, but once you start basing rules on common sense... or opinion as I would call it, you're onto a loser