British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue 2024

31 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

So why were Poole so upset that Basso chose to go to Glasgow?

At times their attitude sounded like Basso had just received a testimonial then left the next day after promising to stay (I may be exaggerating slightly lol).

Because Poole think they are the cat whiskers and nobody would dare leave them out of choice?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

So why were Poole so upset that Basso chose to go to Glasgow?

At times their attitude sounded like Basso had just received a testimonial then left the next day after promising to stay (I may be exaggerating slightly lol).

Because Poole had invested a lot of time and money and paperwork in bringing him over on the basis of a 2-year arrangement, which Basso decided wasn't practical after the first season due primarily Wednesday fixture clashes (despite Poole agreeing to minimise clashes by changing racedays in certain weeks) - plus Basso was tapped up during the play-offs!!

Edited by Skidder1

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Because Poole had invested a lot of time and money and paperwork in bringing him over on the basis of a 2-year arrangement, which Basso decided wasn't practical after the first season due primarily Wednesday fixture clashes (despite Poole agreeing to minimise clashes by changing racedays in certain weeks) - plus Basso was tapped up during the play-offs!!

As with the Tarasenko situation, it's absolutely hilarious to see Poole fans getting their knickers in a twist with this type of thing. The exact type of stuff Poole happily did for years and years.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

I guess my question would be did he sign a 2 year contract or just verbally agree to return. If it's the first one they can get mad, if it's the second one - well they've practically done the same to Anders Rowe, told him he's 99% sure of a team spot, only to change their mind.

Getting off topic now, whoops.

11 minutes ago, JoeW436 said:

He’s a better rider than Brennan imo, he will go very well round the NSS. One of very few bright sparks for Peterborough this season. 

Very similar standard imo. Cook has improved every year, Brennan after a great start, his progress has slowed, but still going upwards. Brennan has the advantage of youth, plus getting a British reduction & knowing the track well.

Tbh, I'd want them both ahead of Blodorn (if that fits).

44 minutes ago, JoeW436 said:

He’s a better rider than Brennan imo, he will go very well round the NSS. One of very few bright sparks for Peterborough this season. 

Cook surpassed expectations I’d say. Him and Jenkins were the only bright lights before changes were made really. I’m with Szkocjasid here though, very similar standard currently between Cook and Brennan not much between them. 

30 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Cook surpassed expectations I’d say. Him and Jenkins were the only bright lights before changes were made really. I’m with Szkocjasid here though, very similar standard currently between Cook and Brennan not much between them. 

Not much between them but probably be a good idea for Tom to have a fresh start somewhere else, his progression has stalled slightly in the last 18 months. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 89buttons said:

Ben cook over king? Really?

he scored 5+3 riding reserve and 5+1, 4+2 riding at 4 and 2 in his Foxhall visits last year and his gsa only 1.05 less than king huge downgrade that for very little gain elsewhere in team building. 

Yep, he is on the up, knows how to ride inside and outside and pass people, plus team ride - much more engaging to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Completely disagree, Cook is on the up  but  King is far better currently especially at Ipswich

I never said he was better, I'm not interested in that.  My preference is to watch riders with the qualities Ben has rather than Danny.

9 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I never said he was better, I'm not interested in that.  My preference is to watch riders with the qualities Ben has rather than Danny.

King will win far more races,  true to say mainly from the front as he is a great gater but he is not just a gater. Ben is improving all the time and will be a great asset to Belle Vue 

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Or maybe get the actual facts first? 

Riders verbally agree to all sorts of things then get a better offer and go elsewhere, it happens every year and always will. Lynn have had two riders do it this winter. It's just how it is, and how you guys signed Lawson. No point in jumping up and down about it however irritating it is. 

42 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Riders verbally agree to all sorts of things then get a better offer and go elsewhere, it happens every year and always will. Lynn have had two riders do it this winter. It's just how it is, and how you guys signed Lawson. No point in jumping up and down about it however irritating it is. 

Didn't help when local media stirred it up a bit as well. Basso is the only ex Poole rider to get booed I think. The only other ones that get it are Craig Cook, Ben Barker does sometimes and actually Simon Lambert did in KOC Final lol. But by end of the night he got cheers. Only rider I seen turn it around on the same night :D

Anyway back on topic, Ben Cook would be a very good signing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Which 2?