British Speedway Forum

Poole 2024

7 minutes ago, HGould said:

The bottom line with Poole is this.

They can average 1500-2000 Crowds for the bulk of their summer season and possiblty exceed that in Play Offs and Cup Finals.

They can sell upwards to 1000 (or more someone might confirm) season tickets at 150-200 quid a pop. They have excellent and mostly longstanding sponsorship.

That alone is a guarantee that they can run, cover all the bills and make money.

Most CL Clubs are happy if they average 600 - several have tried to match the spending of bigger Clubs on that sort of average and have palpably failed.

Oxford have done exceptionally wel but will have to decide "what goes" next season, PL / CL or NDL as surely margins suggest its not practical long term to run all three. I don't see crowds significantly above 600 average at any other CL venue other than Poole / Oxford (stand to be corrected on that?)

I do get the Ford logic, why go up and spend possibly twice as much (net) and risk reduced Crowds as they prefer Wednesdays - especially if there is no big Company / high net worth individuals to cover any losses.

Maybe they are lucky to have that sort of core base, but I believe that generally that you make your own luck, if you don't you certainly have to have the sort of wise judgement not to chase rainbows and to live within your means. A few fine examples of that especially Scunthorpe! 

Would agree regarding Poole.Well run Club.You make your own luck in some ways.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Would agree regarding Poole.Well run Club.You make your own luck in some ways.

The other benefit that Poole has by being continually successful at their chosen level is excellent media coverage, (as well as excellent team building skills)! 

Whether tv, radio, newspapers(print and online), reel videos or other social platforms they maintain their presence in the wider public eye. It doesn't just happen, it needs to be continually worked at and Danny Ford,  his team and other committed individuals work very hard at it.

There will always be critics, but Poole are accumulating stacks of positive pr, huge crowds and commercial support - just in case they need it if/when the future of the stadium becomes a 'live' topic!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

The other benefit that Poole has by being continually successful at their chosen level is excellent media coverage, (as well as excellent team building skills)! 

Whether tv, radio, newspapers(print and online), reel videos or other social platforms they maintain their presence in the wider public eye. It doesn't just happen, it needs to be continually worked at and Danny Ford,  his team and other committed individuals work very hard at it.

There will always be critics, but Poole are accumulating stacks of positive pr, huge crowds and commercial support - just in case they need it if/when the future of the stadium becomes a 'live' topic!

Another thing that potentially helps Poole is the lack of other major sporting attractions taking place in and around the city. Happy to be corrected, but other than Bournemouth football I'm not sure there's much else for people to get their professional sporting fix. Very similar situation at Oxford. Probably no coincidence that these two are doing so well.

5 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Another thing that potentially helps Poole is the lack of other major sporting attractions taking place in and around the city. Happy to be corrected, but other than Bournemouth football I'm not sure there's much else for people to get their professional sporting fix. Very similar situation at Oxford. Probably no coincidence that these two are doing so well.

You might be surprised to know quite a few fans and commercial partners travel from much further away than just within the B'mth/poole conurbation.

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

You might be surprised to know quite a few fans and commercial partners travel from much further away than just within the B'mth/poole conurbation.

Well I know of at least one flat white-loving individual that does! But I was talking about those that live within said conurbation, and how they get a sporting fix.

3 hours ago, lbw said:

Away in the league at Edinburgh is now 30th August.

Pain in the rearendum to rearrange everything yet again and at cost! 

*This is due to Edinburgh arranging their BSN semi final dates with Scunthorpe.

I guess it also saves having to travel from Edinburgh on 23rd to Plymouth on 24th!!

27 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

They've got Monkey World as well. That probably offers a similar level of entertainment for most Poole fans.

If people are being honest Poole are the best run club in the country serial winners and you can see why.its not pooles fault we and I mean that as a collective can’t beat them they have the same points as the rest of us to build a team they just have the X factor when it comes to doing it.the only criticism people can have about Poole as a viewing fan is the lack of passing but then again Poole can do what they want the fans still turn up unfortunately though they win on all our teams tracks as well lol there just a very good team the top divisions loss is the championships gain because I bet the highest attendance for home matches is when Poole come calling sorry about my ramblings but it’s upto the rest of us to build competitive teams to match the riders are out there otherwise Poole wouldn’t do what they do most seasons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

If people are being honest Poole are the best run club in the country serial winners and you can see why.its not pooles fault we and I mean that as a collective can’t beat them they have the same points as the rest of us to build a team they just have the X factor when it comes to doing it.the only criticism people can have about Poole as a viewing fan is the lack of passing but then again Poole can do what they want the fans still turn up unfortunately though they win on all our teams tracks as well lol there just a very good team the top divisions loss is the championships gain because I bet the highest attendance for home matches is when Poole come calling sorry about my ramblings but it’s upto the rest of us to build competitive teams to match the riders are out there otherwise Poole wouldn’t do what they do most seasons.

Excellent post. Thank you Mike0310.

Last nights heat 5 with Bomber recording the fastest time of the season by an away rider, Richard Lawson's faultless 15 pt max, plus Ben Cook's last to 2nd in heat 15 against Bomber and Ivacic were worth the money alone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

Ultimately money talks, both in terms of what's offered, more importantly, in the self employed world of speedway, in surety of prompt payment. 

3 hours ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

They've got Monkey World as well. That probably offers a similar level of entertainment for most Poole fans.

There is currently a circus in the area, with clowns just like you :rofl:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Team average will be 46!!! :o

So all the weaker teams- either in performance or financial capacity - will be insisting on 'sharing out all the heat leaders' to 'equalise team strengths' again for 2025. That will probably mean that the Championship will lose some of this season's heat leaders.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

So all the weaker teams- either in performance or financial capacity - will be insisting on 'sharing out all the heat leaders' to 'equalise team strengths' again for 2025. That will probably mean that the Championship will lose some of this season's heat leaders.

Think 2 of Pooles might be away at the end of season.