British Speedway Forum

Poole 2024

Brennan is a BSPA asset 100% not sure how many times I have to say this on here! Glasgow did not follow through with the purchase of him. Reference Poole going up, I think it needs to happen personally. A lot of for and against, but the landscape is completely different compared to 2019, next year the majority of GP riders we shall see back in the UK since early 2000’s, due to Sweden. Cost people say? Poole could field 5 of this years team and add the Holder Brothers for example! Magic, Nicolai and more available.

I have discussed this with Danny on a number of occasions about moving up over the past few years!

Race night is always discussed but for me I think that can be worked around with some Wednesday/Thursday fixtures.

Profit and business wise it makes sense to sit in the championship to make the maximum amount of money, but is that the right choice? If Poole can’t sustain top flight speedway which they sat at from 1997-2019 lets not forget!I would be very concerned, looking at clubs like Birmingham with low crowds - also local derby? Oxford could be likely to drop out of the championship and Plymouth, will they continue in the championship? So that leaves our local derbys with northern sides? Business model wise that isn’t  good! 

On another note the Championship will be weakened yet again likely in 2025 and you have to question can that be done again year on year? We are paying more for a weaker product and that happened again in 2024.

let’s see but I hope the mighty Pirates return to the top table. 

Edited by Pirates Of Poole
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Brennan is a BSPA asset 100% not sure how many times I have to say this on here! Glasgow did not follow through with the purchase of him. Reference Poole going up, I think it needs to happen personally. A lot of for and against, but the landscape is completely different compared to 2019, next year the majority of GP riders we shall see back in the UK since early 2000’s, due to Sweden. Cost people say? Poole could field 5 of this years team and add the Holder Brothers for example! Magic, Nicolai and more available.

I have discussed this with Danny on a number of occasions about moving up over the past few years!

Race night is always discussed but for me I think that can be worked around with some Wednesday/Thursday fixtures.

Profit and business wise it makes sense to sit in the championship to make the maximum amount of money, but is that the right choice? If Poole can’t sustain top flight speedway which they sat at from 1997-2019 lets not forget!I would be very concerned, looking at clubs like Birmingham with low crowds - also local derby? Oxford could be likely to drop out of the championship and Plymouth, will they continue in the championship? So that leaves our local derbys with northern sides? Business model wise that isn’t  good! 

On another note the Championship will be weakened yet again likely in 2025 and you have to question can that be done again year on year? We are paying more for a weaker product and that happened again in 2024.

let’s see but I hope the mighty Pirates return to the top table. 

Why is it a weaker product? Admission prices will always increase, albeit slightly because most other costs also increase,  Attendances seem to suggest that most fans are happy with what they are seeing each week.

15 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Why is it a weaker product? Admission prices will always increase, albeit slightly because most other costs also increase,  Attendances seem to suggest that most fans are happy with what they are seeing each week.

It is weaker because of the points limit decreasing every year I would have thought. 

Attendances will always be high when team seems to be competitive every season! 

Would be interesting to know how many Poole fans go to Oxford to get a Prem fix. 

38 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

It is weaker because of the points limit decreasing every year I would have thought. 

Would be interesting to know how many Poole fans go to Oxford to get a Prem fix. 

The team strengths may be less due to points limits but the racing/ atmosphere has been just as good imo. But I accept others have a different point of view. For example is Championship racing at Glasgow or Redcar any worse??

42 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Very few I think.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Points limit has reduced year on year, since 2020, I call that a weaker product compared to the Premiership! Admission went up in 2024 but points limited reduced heavily from year before again I call that weakening  the product that is being put before us. Reference people happy where we are, I hear a lot more now they would like to see the worlds best back at Poole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catalan said:

Very few I think.

I have a season ticket at Oxford as well as Poole and I have watched every Premiership meeting up there. I choose to travel to Oxford like I will this Thursday to see some of the best riders in the world and in my opinion the racing is much better with the high end riders. 

8 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

I have a season ticket at Oxford as well as Poole and I have watched every Premiership meeting up there. I choose to travel to Oxford like I will this Thursday to see some of the best riders in the world and in my opinion the racing is much better with the high end riders. 

Each to their own. The Prem meetings I have seen on tv or stream haven't produced any more exciting racing than those in Championship - in some cases a heck of a lot worse! Still as many processional races because there aren't so called 'top' riders in every race.

But as I've said each to their own.

• Like 5

On 7/29/2024 at 9:45 PM, Skidder1 said:

Each to their own. The Prem meetings I have seen on tv or stream haven't produced any more exciting racing than those in Championship - in some cases a heck of a lot worse! Still as many processional races because there aren't so called 'top' riders in every race.

But as I've said each to their own.

I think you’re just used to an inferior product at Poole. There’s a big difference between the quality of opposition racing against the Cheetahs and the Spires at Oxford. You’re never going to get the wow factor of watching Richard Lawson compared to Emil Sayfutdinov. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

I think you’re just used to an inferior product at Poole. There’s a big difference between the quality of opposition racing against the Cheetahs and the Spires at Oxford. You’re never going to get the wow factor of watching Richard Lawson compared to Emil Sayfutdinov. 

Apart from Emil and another couple of ‘ superstars’ your watching the same riders racing each other just for different Teams though.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Apart from Emil and another couple of ‘ superstars’ your watching the same riders racing each other just for different Teams though.

While I do agree to some degree, at the last count, there were 27 riders in the Premiership that are not racing in the Championship this season. Not all superstars perhaps, but there’s certainly more than a couple and the rest probably consider themselves too good for Championship perhaps. 

Edited by BackInTheDHSS

4 hours ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Ermmm......get the wow factor watching all the Pirates especially Ben Cook !

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

How I get my 'wow' factor is entirely up to me. Watching Lawson, Brennan and Ben Cook against other heat leaders of similar standard is far better than watching Emil half a lap in front of various 'rising stars'.

Each to their own as long as they still attend.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

How I get my 'wow' factor is entirely up to me. Watching Lawson, Brennan and Ben Cook against other heat leaders of similar standard is far better than watching Emil half a lap in front of various 'rising stars'.

Each to their own as long as they still attend.

Said the person who has to deal with inferior quality racing week-on-week. Nice try, though. It's the second tier for a reason.

Edited by BackInTheDHSS

30 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Said the person who has to deal with inferior quality racing week-on-week. Nice try, though. It's the second tier for a reason.

Yep, cost being the main reason and racing on your preferred raceday.

Ps. No crashes at Cowley then??!!

Pps. What are the odds of Oxford NOT doing all 3 leagues in 2025.

Edited by Skidder1