British Speedway Forum

Poole 2024

I suspect the reasoning behind the lower points limit fpr those in favour of it is to try to narrow the gulf between the top five and the bottom four from this season and to make things more affordable for those smaller clubs. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I suspect the reasoning behind the lower points limit fpr those in favour of it is to try to narrow the gulf between the top five and the bottom four from this season and to make things more affordable for those smaller clubs. 

If clubs that are of a level to run in Div 1, choose to stay in Div 2, then they have to expect controls to provide a more level playing field..

As we know, averages often don't do that, given all the random variables involved that contribute to a riders average, including even subjectivity when using assessed averages...

The lower average basically will prevent teams from using 3 Div HL's , or two HL's and a strong Div 1 SS....

It should therefore mean that each team have at least two "good" Div 2 level riders, which means all should be at least competitive..

Which has to be the ultimate aim of any sport that doesnt have promotion or relegation, or delivers any great financial rewards for winning any title, or cup...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Oh, so that is why you were stalking my profile. Getting as sad as trackprat tbf. So in other words I haven't done what you made out. Thanks for confirming :t:

If you say hello to someone and they say hello back do you have a go at them for repeating you? Lmao :D

Oh and why are you repeating what is on my profile. People really hate repetition you know -_- 

Why you name calling me buck?

Getting as boring as your best mate.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

If clubs that are of a level to run in Div 1, choose to stay in Div 2, then they have to expect controls to provide a more level playing field..

As we know, averages often don't do that, given all the random variables involved that contribute to a riders average, including even subjectivity when using assessed averages...

The lower average basically will prevent teams from using 3 Div HL's , or two HL's and a strong Div 1 SS....

It should therefore mean that each team have at least two "good" Div 2 level riders, which means all should be at least competitive..

Which has to be the ultimate aim of any sport that doesnt have promotion or relegation, or delivers any great financial rewards for winning any title, or cup...

My opinion on that is that div1 has become so weak that div2 HLs who would've been 2nd strings or reserves in the past have become div 1 HLs. The issue is the weakening of the prem for which again the championship fans are being punished 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

My opinion on that is that div1 has become so weak that div2 HLs who would've been 2nd strings or reserves in the past have become div 1 HLs. The issue is the weakening of the prem for which again the championship fans are being punished 

I've said this many times too. There are riders now who would've struggled to crack the old EL, yet are somehow heat leaders in both leagues. There were some excellent PL #1s back in the day and they couldn't hack it in the top league, unless they were really special.

It's a shame though, because the PL for a long time was probably the most equal and competitive league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

They all built Teams to the same points limit though last season.So how will that work

One big problem with lowering the averages is the following year riders are on a higher inflated average then maybe not get a team place, As usual the ones in charge have no ongoing plan, do this one season,  then do that another season,  if they don't get their act together and have a 2/3 year plan speedway will bump along until no clubs are left !!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

Absolutely spot on Jaizer

6 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

No he isn't going to Scunthorpe. 

I’ve seen Edinburgh and Berwick mentioned. Berwick may be a problem if he wants to continue in Poland as that would be a dash to an airport for an early flight. As a former Edinburgh rider, that may have more appeal.

7 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

I’ve seen Edinburgh and Berwick mentioned. Berwick may be a problem if he wants to continue in Poland as that would be a dash to an airport for an early flight. As a former Edinburgh rider, that may have more appeal.

Wasn't that one of Pickering's reasons for leaving Edinburgh though?

Pickering and the Cook's as 1,3&5 for Poole? 

I say it every year but how Douglas hasn't gone down there with the Ward connection I'll never know. His average is way too high now but it always seemed the right fit.

10 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

10 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

for one season at least

1 hour ago, DJC said:

Wasn't that one of Pickering's reasons for leaving Edinburgh though?

Pickering and the Cook's as 1,3&5 for Poole? 

I say it every year but how Douglas hasn't gone down there with the Ward connection I'll never know. His average is way too high now but it always seemed the right fit.

Be Lawson. Can't see Pickering at Poole imo. A lot of travelling from Yorkshire and back. If I remember correctly Dougie nearly came to Poole when he left Leicester and was looking for midweek team but then Lawson made himself available. Well that is what the rumour was anyway. 

Edited by lisa-colette

3 hours ago, RogerM22 said:

I've said this many times too. There are riders now who would've struggled to crack the old EL, yet are somehow heat leaders in both leagues. There were some excellent PL #1s back in the day and they couldn't hack it in the top league, unless they were really special.

It's a shame though, because the PL for a long time was probably the most equal and competitive league.

It was, and it was in a large part, down to lots of Commonwealth riders coming over to the UK to take places in Div 2..

And also lots of European potential superstars, or simply just journeymen, being given Div 2 places...

With the European lads in particular getting replaced often with much of the same standard of rider, coming in and out through the revolving door..

Nowadays, with Brexit, it is far more difficult to just "open the doors" to those lads and fill your teams with them...

Therefore, we find ourselves short of riders of the standard both leagues want to race at, hence doubling up/down is now part and parcel of the sport..

With that shortage of riders, in a major part, being down to UK lads not getting opportunities when journey men European and Commonwealth riders were constantly being brought over...

A vicious circle excellently led and delivered by those in charge, who had no plan for any future growth and development of both riders and sport, bringing us to where we are today...

To You. To Me, To Me, To You. etc etc etc 

14 minutes ago, mikebv said:

It was, and it was in a large part, down to lots of Commonwealth riders coming over to the UK to take places in Div 2..

And also lots of European potential superstars, or simply just journeymen, being given Div 2 places...

With the European lads in particular getting replaced often with much of the same standard of rider, coming in and out through the revolving door..

Nowadays, with Brexit, it is far more difficult to just "open the doors" to those lads and fill your teams with them...

Therefore, we find ourselves short of riders of the standard both leagues want to race at, hence doubling up/down is now part and parcel of the sport..

With that shortage of riders, in a major part, being down to UK lads not getting opportunities when journey men European and Commonwealth riders were constantly being brought over...

A vicious circle excellently led and delivered by those in charge, who had no plan for any future growth and development of both riders and sport, bringing us to where we are today...

To You. To Me, To Me, To You. etc etc etc 

Well, who all voted for Brxit? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Well, who all voted for Brxit? 

More than who didn't, unfortunately, for so many things...

It does though give the UK Speedway Promoters a huge opportunity to become "self sufficient" and no longer rely on "journeymen, after journeymen" coming over to take team places...

Just think, loads of UK lads riding in Div 2, and maybe higher, and all down to a clear development path using team places previously given to the Speedway equivalent of dozens of "Carlos Kickabouts"......

Maybe even growing the UK sports profile with the GB Team being consistently successful at international level due to plenty of strength in depth...

Who just said we need a five year plan? :D

Edited by mikebv