British Speedway Forum

Poole 2024

53 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

That's a bit of a myth. As somebody pointed out earlier, there are quite a few Premiership riders not in the Championship.

Edit: I've had a look and just over half don't ride in the Champ (26 out of 49 in the latest declared line-ups).

Bewley, Blodorn, Kurtz, Lidsey, Lampart, Lindgren, Pawlicki, Doyle, Ellis, Rew, Sayfutdinov, Iversen, Klindt, Kvech, Rowe, Wojdylo, Becker, Douglas, Fricke, Janowski, Riss, Tungate, C.Holder, J.Holder, Howarth, Woffinden

That's surprising.. :t:

1 hour ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Think one thing to take into account for 2025, if the points limit is reduced further we will find ourselves 8-10 points over. We could then have to lose Ben & Tom - Richard May stay etc, is that good for the supports and club? New faces will of course come in and replace them but at a less quality to the riders who have potentially left. Bottom line is the team average will stay the same or reduce so we will need to lose 2 more out our current top 4. Ben and Tom may decide to go Premiership only in 2025.

I have to  admit they seem intent to run the Championship into the ground  for reasons best know too themselves.Should have been one League years ago.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

That's surprising.. :t:

1 hour ago, Bojangles said:

That's a bit of a myth. As somebody pointed out earlier, there are quite a few Premiership riders not in the Championship.

Edit: I've had a look and just over half don't ride in the Champ (26 out of 49 in the latest declared line-ups).

Bewley, Blodorn, Kurtz, Lidsey, Lampart, Lindgren, Pawlicki, Doyle, Ellis, Rew, Sayfutdinov, Iversen, Klindt, Kvech, Rowe, Wojdylo, Becker, Douglas, Fricke, Janowski, Riss, Tungate, C.Holder, J.Holder, Howarth, Woffinden

Howarth?

• Haha 2

When Ipswich dropped down we didn’t win anything the racing was poor and people lost interest … also when we dropped down the Poole fans were quick to ridicule and mock as they had top riders 

Poole are ok where they are winning … if they struggle the fans simply don’t support 

• Like 1

Get on with it Poole I look forward to hearing reports from the dust bowl I wonder how many times Lawson will finish second but get the paid win tonight to keep his average down that’s not a criticism it shows his intelligence, and I’m also joking about the dust bowl because I don’t think there’s a track curator on the planet who’d succeed at the moment Poole to win by 15-20.but if anyone can give it a good go it should be the tigers.

43 minutes ago, Gavan said:

When Ipswich dropped down we didn’t win anything the racing was poor and people lost interest … also when we dropped down the Poole fans were quick to ridicule and mock as they had top riders 

Poole are ok where they are winning … if they struggle the fans simply don’t support 

How can we be sure anymore? Poole haven't struggled for like 15 years.

• Thanks 1

Away in the league at Edinburgh is now 30th August.

Pain in the rearendum to rearrange everything yet again and at cost! 

*This is due to Edinburgh arranging their BSN semi final dates with Scunthorpe.

Edited by lbw

12 hours ago, Gavan said:

Most teams in any sport struggle when they are losing, i am sure tickets to see Ipswich Town were easier to get when they weren't doing so well.

1 hour ago, SteelShoe said:

Very good financial reasons for that me thinks.

56 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Yes and riders form improves if they are busy.

But didn't he take 2 days to decide. But I think track time was the main reason. 

The bottom line with Poole is this.

They can average 1500-2000 Crowds for the bulk of their summer season and possiblty exceed that in Play Offs and Cup Finals.

They can sell upwards to 1000 (or more someone might confirm) season tickets at 150-200 quid a pop. They have excellent and mostly longstanding sponsorship.

That alone is a guarantee that they can run, cover all the bills and make money.

Most CL Clubs are happy if they average 600 - several have tried to match the spending of bigger Clubs on that sort of average and have palpably failed.

Oxford have done exceptionally wel but will have to decide "what goes" next season, PL / CL or NDL as surely margins suggest its not practical long term to run all three. I don't see crowds significantly above 600 average at any other CL venue other than Poole / Oxford (stand to be corrected on that?)

I do get the Ford logic, why go up and spend possibly twice as much (net) and risk reduced Crowds as they prefer Wednesdays - especially if there is no big Company / high net worth individuals to cover any losses.

Maybe they are lucky to have that sort of core base, but I believe that generally that you make your own luck, if you don't you certainly have to have the sort of wise judgement not to chase rainbows and to live within your means. A few fine examples of that especially Scunthorpe! 

• Like 3