British Speedway Forum

Poole 2024

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, scaramanga said:

So Ben Cook rode at workington yesterday and  lezno today 

Good on him shows others can ride Saturday in UK then travel 

He's an Aussie, fully committed to British speedway .

Poole Wednesday, Leicester Thursday, Glasgow Friday, Workington Saturday, Poland Sunday, Birmingham Monday 

Edited by Arthur54
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Arthur54 said:

He's an Aussie, fully committed to British speedway .

Poole Wednesday, Leicester Thursday, Glasgow Friday, Workington Saturday, Poland Sunday, Birmingham Monday 

Ben must be supremely fit . Don't know how he does it because there's nowt to him yet he handles the bike with apparent ease.

The organisation behind it all is mind boggling and to think I only have to organise hotels & trains for short trips.

7 hours ago, scaramanga said:

So Ben Cook rode at workington yesterday and  lezno today 

Good on him shows others can ride Saturday in UK then travel 

I think it's all about the riders "mentality".

Aussies are over ten thosand miles from "home" so by their very nature are "transient" - happy to have bases in UK / Poland. In some cases in Sweden as it allows easy access to UK and Poland (and most of Northern / Eastern Europe too)

The British riders (aside from the top 3 GP and Bomber) are more insular, more grounded in the UK and think a trip from South to North is a long way.

The old adage "where there's a will, there's a way" seems to fit best. Credit to Ben and those who make it work and want to make it work, and may be a few others should have the same mindset. 

To tie in with another thread, may be that Brennan identified that a midweek CL track after all allowed him to ride Poland / Sweden and 2 Leagues in UK whereas commiting to Glasgow every weekend did not work as well, especially as the Poles do like (where possible) their League participants to be tucked up in a Polish bed on a Saturday night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lbw said:

Ben must be supremely fit . Don't know how he does it because there's nowt to him yet he handles the bike with apparent ease.

The organisation behind it all is mind boggling and to think I only have to organise hotels & trains for short trips.

Don't forget the organisation of the flat whites :party:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, lbw said:

Ben Cook scored 9(5) 2, 1, N, 3, 3 for Leszno today in their 47-43 win over Wroclaw 

https://ekstraliga.pl/en/se/match/4850

Well done Ben :t:

He led Laguta for 3 laps in his first, then a third, then fell trying to be a little hasty on the second bend when pinned, a race he could have won. Was superb in his ladt two leaving top riders in his wake. Really coming on big time now and taking the step to becoming a really top rider. Hope he is still at Poole next season.

• Like 3

At what point with assets they now have, do Poole have to bite the bullet and go PL on a Thursday? 

Lawson, both Cooks is a solid boiler room. I assume Brennan is still a Glasgow asset

Plenty of top 2 heat leader asset options? 

Logical replacement for Brummies who I can't see affording another PL season. 

3 hours ago, HGould said:

I think it's all about the riders "mentality".

Aussies are over ten thosand miles from "home" so by their very nature are "transient" - happy to have bases in UK / Poland. In some cases in Sweden as it allows easy access to UK and Poland (and most of Northern / Eastern Europe too)

The British riders (aside from the top 3 GP and Bomber) are more insular, more grounded in the UK and think a trip from South to North is a long way.

The old adage "where there's a will, there's a way" seems to fit best. Credit to Ben and those who make it work and want to make it work, and may be a few others should have the same mindset. 

To tie in with another thread, may be that Brennan identified that a midweek CL track after all allowed him to ride Poland / Sweden and 2 Leagues in UK whereas commiting to Glasgow every weekend did not work as well, especially as the Poles do like (where possible) their League participants to be tucked up in a Polish bed on a Saturday night. 

The Poles also like them to practice before the meetings,if you listened to Ben yesterday he done a few laps before the meeting.Was in great form and certainly still improving.

17 minutes ago, HGould said:

At what point with assets they now have, do Poole have to bite the bullet and go PL on a Thursday? 

Lawson, both Cooks is a solid boiler room. I assume Brennan is still a Glasgow asset

Kurtz 

lawson

j holder

c holder

b cook 

Z cook 

s hagon 

probably over the points limit but demonstrates how strong pooles asset base still is. Would be a fantastic team. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HGould said:

Think they know what they are doing staying Championship ,decent crowds not paying silly money to “ big names” just topping up their wages.Well run Club.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, HGould said:

I don't think they will do it unless they allowed to do Weds or they think the crowd would be the same for a Thursday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Glasgow did not pay for Brennan when Eastbourne shut, he is an asset of BSPL, I believe

27 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I don't think they will do it unless they allowed to do Weds or they think the crowd would be the same for a Thursday. 

Brennan is still a Glasgow asset.

Which really doesn’t mean a lot apart from a loan fee .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Now the UK have "given up" Thursday, then surely riding Wednesday wont be an issue? 

Riders will be missing due to riding in Poland on a Thursday..

Riders will be missing due to riding in Denmark on a Wednesday. (With less impact I would think too)...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

The Premiership needs Poole more than Poole needs the Premiership imo.

Poole have shown they can get great crowds in the Champ as long as they race on Wednesdays.

Now if Poole were allowed to move up with a Wednesday race night, then they might be interested.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Brennan is still a Glasgow asset.

Which really doesn’t mean a lot apart from a loan fee .

Brennan is not a Glasgow asset, he was an Eastbourne asset and we didn't buy him from Bspl who took it over

2 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Kurtz 

lawson

j holder

c holder

b cook 

Z cook 

s hagon 

probably over the points limit but demonstrates how strong pooles asset base still is. Would be a fantastic team. 

A league winning team all day long.  Just for fun, as of 1st August 44.33 for top 6.Yes i have got to much time on my hands today:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The Premiership needs Poole more than Poole needs the Premiership imo.

Poole have shown they can get great crowds in the Champ as long as they race on Wednesdays.

Now if Poole were allowed to move up with a Wednesday race night, then they might be interested.

I agree with all of that, except why would Poole put themselves at greater financial risk again. (Fingers burned badly in 2019!)

Unless 2025 was known to be their last season at Poole Stadium and they had some quirky idea of going out in a blaze of glory?!!  AND THAT AIN'T HAPPENING!;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Weeyin said:

Brennan is not a Glasgow asset, he was an Eastbourne asset and we didn't buy him from Bspl who took it over

You sure about that.