British Speedway Forum

Oxford Cheetahs 2024

Nichols rolled in 5 of his 6 rides, if the ref had called them properly and didn't let him get away with it, then there would have been no need for a super heat because The Bears would have won.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lewy said:

Apparently henry atkins has quit speedway. 

Not shocked sadly. Nice lad is 'enry but never really delivered to his capabilities as he is a very talented motorcyclist. Few injuries over the years have hampered progress along with often experimenting too much with kit and a reluctance to move away from Plymouth teams and better himself on bigger tracks. 

That said he had a good few years at it and experienced more success than many will ever get near.....all the best for the future.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Hilly said:

Would Starke be an improvement on Roynon? Any improvement, however small has to be looked at surely.

Yes  consistently scores  his ave nearly every meeting 

Edited by mac101

2 hours ago, Hilly said:

Would Starke be an improvement on Roynon? Any improvement, however small has to be looked at surely.

Not a bad idea, in fact the more I think of it, well worth making that change.

Starke has been in Glasgow's top 5 all year, so riding at reserve could put a point on his average simply by getting to race in heat 2.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Starke has been in Glasgow's top 5 all year, so riding at reserve could put a point on his average simply by getting to race in heat 2.

Only because their reserves are too inconsistent. Have noticed that Starke has 2 bad rides and then 2 good rides. 

3 hours ago, Hilly said:

It's a no from me

Paul Starke with no disrespect has been on the slippery slope for a few seasons.  Adam Roynon was potentially a top rider until his succession of injuries hit. But he's not the answer.

Maybe Ace Pijper could do a job having been dropped by Glasgow, lots of travelling though. But a change of scenery might suit him.

I see Michael West is riding for Australia tonight. Supposed to be a bit of a character

Maybe he's the new Garry Middleton.

Might be worth a roll of the dice if his average fits, along with Visa's etc

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Was my thinking that at reserve, surely Starke will be worth more than Roynan. Unless an untried/unknown rider could come in.

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Only because their reserves are too inconsistent. Have noticed that Starke has 2 bad rides and then 2 good rides. 

The reason why he's not at reserve is largely irrelevant. At reserve you'd expect him to score more.

Besides 2 bad rides & 2 good rides is better than 4 bad rides lol!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triple.H. said:

It's a no from me

Paul Starke with no disrespect has been on the slippery slope for a few seasons.  Adam Roynon was potentially a top rider until his succession of injuries hit. But he's not the answer.

Maybe Ace Pijper could do a job having been dropped by Glasgow, lots of travelling though. But a change of scenery might suit him.

I see Michael West is riding for Australia tonight. Supposed to be a bit of a character

Maybe he's the new Garry Middleton.

Might be worth a roll of the dice if his average fits, along with Visa's etc

No one is denying that, that's the reason he could sign for Oxford at reserve. If he had got back to his best - then he wouldn't be an option.

Don't think they can fit in any new foreigners (minimum 4.00 average). So it's a choice of Roynon, Starke & Pijper.

As Starke has scored more than Pijper on a tougher position, he'd be my choice.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2024 at 8:32 PM, szkocjasid said:

No one is denying that, that's the reason he could sign for Oxford at reserve. If he had got back to his best - then he wouldn't be an option.

Don't think they can fit in any new foreigners (minimum 4.00 average). So it's a choice of Roynon, Starke & Pijper.

As Starke has scored more than Pijper on a tougher position, he'd be my choice.

Let's be honest, starke and roynon should of retired a few years ago . Either they or their sponsors must have more money than sense to keep slogging away . 

1 hour ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Let's be honest, starke and roynon should of retired a few years ago . Either they or their sponsors must have more money than sense to keep slogging away . 

Or maybe they just enjoy it?

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

3 hours ago, Bojangles said:

Or maybe they just enjoy it?

Could not agree with @Bojangles any more. I'm sure Starke & Roynon enjoy riding Speedway and as long as someone is willing to pay them to ride, why should they retire?

• Like 2