British Speedway Forum

Oxford Cheetahs 2024

With Atkins now officially retired, Roynon signed as an temporary injury replacement, what options remain for the rest of the season at number 7? 

Doesn't seem to be anything obvious available. 

Poole a shoe in for the play off final, the other spot is up for grabs and the right man at 7 could be the difference.

Once there, anything can happen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hilly said:

With Atkins now officially retired, Roynon signed as an temporary injury replacement, what options remain for the rest of the season at number 7? 

Poole a shoe in for the play off final, the other spot is up for grabs and the right man at 7 could be the difference.

They’ve got to make the change by Wednesday, no? That’s when they will have completed 75% of their fixtures I think (15 of 20 league and BSN). Can’t see anything happening that quickly, so will likely to just be Jody Scott guesting most of them. 

11 hours ago, Hilly said:

They will just use jody scott.

Oxford's problem was they weren't ruthless enough earlier in the season, surprising when compared to the Spires. They could've dropped Atkins for a 6 point rider when Boughen & Killeen were still on 2.00 averages, had they done that, Boughen & Killeen would still be reserves & they'd have a team to rival Poole.

This is where Poole stand head & shoulders above other clubs, they always want to put the strongest team out possible, even when winning they dropped Max Perry.

Now I guess they'll use Jody Scott until Roynon returns.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Oxford's problem was they weren't ruthless enough earlier in the season, surprising when compared to the Spires. They could've dropped Atkins for a 6 point rider when Boughen & Killeen were still on 2.00 averages, had they done that, Boughen & Killeen would still be reserves & they'd have a team to rival Poole.

This is where Poole stand head & shoulders above other clubs, they always want to put the strongest team out possible, even when winning they dropped Max Perry.

Now I guess they'll use Jody Scott until Roynon returns.

Yep, imagine if Oxford had got someone like Erik Riss in for Atkins (I think it would have just about fitted when Boughen and Killeen were on 2.00 averages, although I haven't checked). With the form Heeps has shown, they'd have been real title contenders. That side is better than Poole's in my opinion - alas it wasn't to be.

1. Masters
2. Jenkins
3. Heeps
4. Riss
5. Nicholls
6. Killeen
7. Boughen

That said, I guess it's also nice they've shown loyalty... but a trophy would also have been good.

1 minute ago, Bojangles said:

Yep, imagine if Oxford had got someone like Erik Riss in for Atkins (I think it would have just about fitted when Boughen and Killeen were on 2.00 averages, although I haven't checked). With the form Heeps has shown, they'd have been real title contenders. That side is better than Poole's in my opinion - alas it wasn't to be.

1. Masters
2. Jenkins
3. Heeps
4. Riss
5. Nicholls
6. Killeen
7. Boughen

That said, I guess it's also nice they've shown loyalty... but a trophy would also have been good.

Riss could've replaced Jenkins, someone like Dillon Ruml could've replaced Atkins.

It would have been harsh on Jenkins, who has since upped his scoring, but if Riss had wanted to do Championship racing, it's a chance than could win trophies.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

A quick question.... Adam Roynon was signed on a 28-day injury replacement for Henry Atkins, which expired on 19 July. Would Oxford have had to sign him permanently before they'd completed 75% of their fixtures for him to now race for the Cheetahs? 

I’m trying to find the fag packet to check that rule.