British Speedway Forum

Redcar 2024

38 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I don't agree that (signing) Gilkes is a "waste of time" but I respect your opinion, as there's a big difference between saying that & calling him a "waste of space" imo.

However don't forget Gilkes has upped his average every season, despite multiple injuries in his short career. So as long as he averages above Knudsen's 2024 efforts (4.39) then his signing will not be a waste of time.

The problem is they need someone to replace TJ's scoring, which would 7+ a meeting imo. 

3 minutes ago, Bellers101 said:

Redcar now have 4 reserve standard riders in Bailey, Mulford, Trigger and Gilkes. On a hiding to nothing at the moment I'm afraid.

Both Bailey and Gilkes have GSAs over five.

How many Championshipnreserves have an average under five?

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Bellers101 said:

Redcar now have 4 reserve standard riders in Bailey, Mulford, Trigger and Gilkes. On a hiding to nothing at the moment I'm afraid.

Don’t agree that Bailey is reserve standard in this League.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, arnieg said:

Both Bailey and Gilkes have GSAs over five.

How many Championshipnreserves have an average under five?

Bailey's 2024 GSA figure is 4.50 while the Rolling Average, heavily weighted by 2023 meetings is over five. 

42 minutes ago, lukeellis said:

Well Bailey’s last four scores of 4,5,3,and 2 means he’s riding like one.As everyone keeps saying,this year is a weaker league(38 pts)but these rolling averages give a false indication.

Except you conveniently miss out his 7 at Workington last Saturday and 8 for Redcar at Workington at the start of the month.

7 minutes ago, lukeellis said:

Both scores at a track he’s ridden a lot more than most,last Saturday he was not riding for Redcar and I was referring earlier to his league form which is what we are dealing with now.

No worries we'll swap you for starke then :D

1 hour ago, lukeellis said:

Well Bailey’s last four scores of 4,5,3,and 2 means he’s riding like one.As everyone keeps saying,this year is a weaker league(38 pts)but these rolling averages give a false indication.

He's being pushed into HL position when I would say he is strong second string through injuries (not anyone's fault really). If they got a true 3rd HL in then Connor be back to second string and score freely without too much pressure on him. 

I am sure Redcar management beentrying to do that.

Would Anders Rowe fit for TJ/Knudsen as another poster mentioned he wants Champ team now. 

38 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

He's being pushed into HL position when I would say he is strong second string through injuries (not anyone's fault really). If they got a true 3rd HL in then Connor be back to second string and score freely without too much pressure on him. 

I am sure Redcar management beentrying to do that.

Would Anders Rowe fit for TJ/Knudsen as another poster mentioned he wants Champ team now. 

Think he'd need to use his converted premiership average which would be over 7 now, might be a struggle to fit him in

• Thanks 1

I suspect we’d have seen a lot better performance from Redcar’s youngsters if things had worked out as planned over the last 14 months. Our team structure relies on a strong top 3 doing most of the heavy lifting and we just haven’t had that. Connor was a late addition to the team last year. We lost Eric early on and he was only a shadow of his former (or current) self when he returned. We were still just about in with a shout of winning something when we lost Charles and the season quickly fizzled out. We’ve started 2024 by losing TJ and then almost straight away lost Danny. Puts a lot of pressure on the bottom end to perform in every heat with no respite. I’m sure Connor, Jason and Jake will put a couple of points on their averages at some point and I wouldn’t want to lose any of them. Just a bit tough being a Redcar fan/rider/promoter in the meantime that’s all. Similar situation at other teams to be fair.

• Like 9

On 5/29/2024 at 3:03 PM, Norfolk Bear said:

I am very disappointed with our side this year, bad luck with Injuries but although Knudsen was below what we expected the new lad Gilkes IMO is a total  waste of space, who should we have signed ? That is question.

I fear that at Scunthorpe we will get a hiding, not sure if I will go with the stream to be embarrassed 

On 5/29/2024 at 7:47 PM, ONTWOMINUTES said:

I agree that gilkes is a waste of time, been around a number of years now and although still young, he's not exactly a hot prospect in anyone's eyes.

Any comments on "waste of space / waste of time" Gilkes after he scored 6 away & 8+1 at home?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Not a great score for a number 3 is it , he won't last long in the team if he's scoring that low week in week out.

Gilkes doing well I think. See what he gets at Plymouth on Tues! 

2 hours ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Not a great score for a number 3 is it , he won't last long in the team if he's scoring that low week in week out.

You can't beat fans who can't be bothered to back the British youngsters.

He's in the position he is in the team due to the increase/reduction in the various leagues in an attempt to move riders up a level.

TBH Dan Gilkes is a talented boy, but probably needs more meetings.

• Like 3

Yes, and more rides. Can’t understand the decision  to give Heat 15 to a Guest (Well done though Tate, you did everything asked of you) when you've got a debutant in your team who scored the same amount of points (technically more if you count bonus points) and should be seeing as much track time on his new track as possible.  

What has happened to the track? Last year the track was amazing - great racing week in and week out - watched last night and the track was just not the same? I’m not an expert and I am not having a go at any of the volunteers- it is just an observation.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wow68 said:

What has happened to the track? Last year the track was amazing - great racing week in and week out - watched last night and the track was just not the same? I’m not an expert and I am not having a go at any of the volunteers- it is just an observation.

The tracks done by farmers and not one of the best track curaters there was in johnny swales, like they say " you pay peanuts etc " 

• Like 2