British Speedway Forum

Workington 2024

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2023 at 12:43 AM, SteelShoe said:

Quite funny isn't it, Comets rode Saturday night for years never an issue. Thought he may have signed when he wasn't back at Glasgow i'm feeling a bit miffed off after hearing that. I would rather he said he got a better offer. He should improve again next season so will be a good rider again for you guys .

Not until 2018 when they tried to pull a fast one & ride some on Friday's

Oops! I'll get me coat. :oops: :nono:

28 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

They can go wherever they want being an asset means nothing !

You don’t seriously think he would turn down Tigers for Comets in his present situation.Sincerely hope Workington get a competitive Team assembled.Given the work done by the present Promotion I’m sure they  will ,but obviously they have a budget to work too.The track will produce some great racing and entertainment so just enjoy the speedway.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gmarsbar2 said:

So is Connor Bailey and he also works for Allied but he's not at Glasgow.

Tom Brennan is also a Glasgow asset 

You could say every Team has other Teams assets, mainly due too the  way the sport has has been run of the last number of years.Teams develop riders them have to loan them out to rivals.The wonder why the sport in in regression.!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You don’t seriously think he would turn down Tigers for Comets in his present situation.Sincerely hope Workington get a competitive Team assembled.Given the work done by the present Promotion I’m sure they  will ,but obviously they have a budget to work too.The track will produce some great racing and entertainment so just enjoy the speedway.

I guess money talks !

• Haha 1

Talking of assets,  do teams still have to have some assets before they ride in the league  ?  As comets went bust in 2018 and any assets, I think went to the bspa. That would mean the comets have no assets,  so may have to sign riders as well as agreeing a deal for said riders to come oop north to ride for the Comets 

To clarify the comets did not go bust at the end of 2018, in fact had a team signed up for 2019 season,  but had to pull out of the league at short notice,  due to promised sponsorship/funding not arriving in time to commit to a full season,  so unfortunately had to withdraw from the league 

Edited by Neila

14 minutes ago, Neila said:

Talking of assets,  do teams still have to have some assets before they ride in the league  ?  As comets went bust in 2018 and any assets, I think went to the bspa. That would mean the comets have no assets,  so may have to sign riders as well as agreeing a deal for said riders to come oop north to ride for the Comets 

The asset myth is antiquated riders decide where they ride.

Only positive in having assets is they are offset against your bond  held by the BSPL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neila said:

To clarify the comets did not go bust at the end of 2018, in fact had a team signed up for 2019 season,  but had to pull out of the league at short notice,  due to promised sponsorship/funding not arriving in time to commit to a full season,  so unfortunately had to withdraw from the league 

11 hours ago, Neila said:

Geoff I can't see ace being on big money at Glasgow, think it will suit him more to be based in Scotland 

It was also said ace signed for comets on less money that he had been offered  from other teams 

Sometimes riders can earn more buy taking a lower offer as the can score higher at a certain track or gain more local sponsorship  and of coarse travel is a big issue  its not all about signing fee or x per point 

Edited by scaramanga
  • Like 2