British Speedway Forum

Workington 2024

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The rules say BSN series, it doesn't say BSN series group stages, so maybe they do count the Semis & finals of that competition?

I think Celina won the last heat because she made the gate, she probably would have won a race in every match of she could make the gate consistently,.

Would you not think it unfair that those that qualified from the group stages could count their play off matches in assessing the 75% mark, unless you see it as a reward? And why wouldn’t that also apply to league play offs?

Knowing the way these things work, the play offs for the BSN and the league could be in September so some teams wouldn’t know until then how many meetings they’d be allowed for changes. 
It would have been easier, rather than going with a percentage if the rule was an absolute number. Like 15. Which is what I think it is. 

So, yet another nail in the coffin for my dwindling enthusiasm for this joke sport.Workington have raced 15 of their original scheduled 20 matches or 75%?yet are allowed to make a team change.Yet when Redcar lost a rider(Bailey)due to withdrawal we aren’t allowed to sign anyone even though at the time we had raced the same amount.Now if Workington’s qualifying for the semi of BSN counts in their allowance,that’s a hidden bonus for them?even though those matches should have taken place ages ago.Also this 75% rule might shed some light on why some teams are holding back fixtures to give themselves more time to make possible rider changes.This is not a dig at Workington,just me being disgruntled with the sport after 52 years 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Would you not think it unfair that those that qualified from the group stages could count their play off matches in assessing the 75% mark, unless you see it as a reward? And why wouldn’t that also apply to league play offs?

Knowing the way these things work, the play offs for the BSN and the league could be in September so some teams wouldn’t know until then how many meetings they’d be allowed for changes. 
It would have been easier, rather than going with a percentage if the rule was an absolute number. Like 15. Which is what I think it is. 

I don't know what's the best way to work out percentages (group only or adding semi finals) but the fact we're having this discussion shows how poorly thought out / written the rules are.

It shouldn't take a long forum discussion to understand the rules, besides we still haven't come to a conclusion lol!

If the rule was 15 matches like you suggest, it would have to be 15 league & bsn group stage matches only. Wouldn't be fair for a team to reach the bsn semi's, have those matches count & have to make changes sooner than a team that didn't qualify from the group stage.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, lukeellis said:

So, yet another nail in the coffin for my dwindling enthusiasm for this joke sport.Workington have raced 15 of their original scheduled 20 matches or 75%?yet are allowed to make a team change.Yet when Redcar lost a rider(Bailey)due to withdrawal we aren’t allowed to sign anyone even though at the time we had raced the same amount.Now if Workington’s qualifying for the semi of BSN counts in their allowance,that’s a hidden bonus for them?even though those matches should have taken place ages ago.Also this 75% rule might shed some light on why some teams are holding back fixtures to give themselves more time to make possible rider changes.This is not a dig at Workington,just me being disgruntled with the sport after 52 years 

The Bailey situation is stupid, forcing a club to use guests when they want to replace a (temporarily) retired rider is ludicrous.

This all comes about when they change rules say due to the Robert Lambert play-off issues, but don't consider the ramifications. Trying to fix one problem often causes another.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

This all comes about when they change rules say due to the Robert Lambert play-off issues, but don't consider the ramifications. Trying to fix one problem often causes another.

This a 1000 times.

[Also see IRR and 'recurring injury' or min 3 ride rule for reserves, or 75% no facility guests' and that's just recent ones in the spotlight]

Edited by arnieg

Think worky instructed the bspa about a team change during the actual meeting so in theory the 15th/75% meeting was still taking place  so well within the rules !!

Edited by Neila

49 minutes ago, Neila said:

Think worky instructed the bspa about a team change during the actual meeting so in theory the 15th/75% meeting was still taking place  so well within the rules !!

Very much doubt it was done during the meeting. More than likely before Fridays meeting I would imagine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CTD26 said:

Very much doubt it was done during the meeting. More than likely before Fridays meeting I would imagine.

From memory there is a 72 hr wait for team declarations, so if Workington made the change on Friday, it would be valid from Monday. This ties in with the "we had to make a change by Monday" comments from Workington

• Like 1

6 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The Bailey situation is stupid, forcing a club to use guests when they want to replace a (temporarily) retired rider is ludicrous.

Yep agreed. Although, to be fair, there was also going to be the need for some fine tuning when a new rule is introduced. What's not really acceptable is the lack of flexibility when it comes to certain situations - some common sense should prevail, especially if a club is clearly not exploiting it as in Workington's case. All this is doing is preventing another rider from getting a full-time spot (and earning a wage).

4 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Ofcourse it could have been alot easier if he replaced tate then celina could have stayed,aint no one now to sign,just hope riders make themselves available to guest.!

That would have been a worse change than all of Oxford's combined!

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Ofcourse it could have been alot easier if he replaced tate then celina could have stayed,aint no one now to sign,just hope riders make themselves available to guest.!

Long time coming dropping Celina if you ask me. What’s she done apart from win what, 2 races? Can carry one reserve but not 2.

Anyone saying they should got rid of Sam needs to give there head a big ol wobble. He’s a young British rider, who yeah is struggling this year. But, them struggles have been made worse with having added pressure on him because his reserve partner isn’t up to scratch. Celina should never have been signed, I said it at the time and I’ll stick by that. 

Edited by CTD26
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, CTD26 said:

Long time coming dropping Celina if you ask me. What’s she done apart from win what, 2 races? Can carry one reserve but not 2.

Anyone saying they should got rid of Sam needs to give there head a big ol wobble. He’s a young British rider, who yeah is struggling this year. But, them struggles have been made worse with having added pressure on him because his reserve partner isn’t up to scratch. Celina should never have been signed, I said it at the time and I’ll stick by that. 

Don't forget most riders had been signed up before Worky were confirmed in the Championship. I think Celina was worth a punt and she is undoubtedly quick when in front. It was her poor gating,  bravery in first corners and perceived inability to improve her race position when behind that were evident. If she can improve these there is no doubting her bike skills .

Like you say Celina not really scoring points will probably have increased the pressure on Sam.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Marksman said:

No Claus Vissing tomorrow at Redcar and no facility, what’s happened there. Another winable meeting is made that bit harder.

Ace Pjiper replaces him, and Jordan Jenkins for Tate

Sometimes u just think is it worth the bother didnt claus do something like this when at birmingham?,lets just hope no one goes in labour over the weekend!

2 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Sometimes u just think is it worth the bother didnt claus do something like this when at birmingham?,lets just hope no one goes in labour over the weekend!

Yeah has already happened today I believe, so he maybe missing too!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Claus has tendency to mess Teams about after about half a season once his Danish commitments start.Tends to suit himself. Nothing new with him as you notice goes off the boil too.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Yeah has already happened today I believe, so he maybe missing too!

So as things stand we have this lineup for tomorrow

1. Cook

2. Jenkins

3. Vuolas

4. Pijper

5. Batchelor

6. Starke

7. McGurk

With Saturday being the same but Leon Flint in for Tate. The promotion make a change at reserve but then we go lose points with Pijper coming in for Vissing. 

If cookie does end up missing tomorrow and Saturday we might as well end the play off hopes now.

Edited by Woke23

2 hours ago, Marksman said:

No Claus Vissing tomorrow at Redcar and no facility, what’s happened there. Another winable meeting is made that bit harder.

Ace Pjiper replaces him, and Jordan Jenkins for Tate

What's happened there is indeed a good question. The promotion must be spitting feathers over this . Here we are at the business end of the season and Vissing goes missing for 2 very important fixtures. Without more information it looks on the face of it very unproffesional especially as no facility has been granted. No disrespect to Ace but Claus has scored 10 and 9 at Redcar this season so it is a huge ask for the young man.