British Speedway Forum

Workington 2024

5 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

You can have all the theories you want, but Riss was signed to replace Klindt, and Cook was signed to replace Kerr. Oxford never dropped someone and didn't replace them.

https://britishspeedway.co.uk/rowe-motor-oil-premiership/spires-move-for-riss/
https://britishspeedway.co.uk/rowe-motor-oil-premiership/spires-are-cooking/

Dropping and not replacing isn't what the question was about? It was can you drop someone and replace them when you have an injured rider and leave the injured one in the declared 7 - which as the dates show, Oxford did. 

My 'theory' is based on my opinion that you shouldn't do the above and they should have been made to use Riss for Kerr, not Klindt.

Edited by DJC

16 minutes ago, Woke23 said:

Announcement made. Paul starke riding as our new reserve. Not a bad signing I suppose. He'll do job at reserve

We've averaged exactly 2 points per meeting from reserve all season, and often it's just the 1 from Heat 2 we get.

Starke riding at reserve has to be an improvement on that, considering he was riding at No.2 for Glasgow.

Can take 5 rides every meeting replacing McGurk so even 5 points per meeting would be a massive improvement

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DJC said:

Dropping and not replacing isn't what the question was about? It was can you drop someone and replace them when you have an injured rider and leave the injured one in the declared 7 - which as the dates show, Oxford did. 

My 'theory' is based on my opinion that you shouldn't do the above and they should have been made to use Riss for Kerr, not Klindt.

But why should Oxford HAVE to replace a rider who is temporarily injured and will return to the team? Kerr was literally only out of action for the 28 days that Oxford signed Cook for, and then he came back into the team as planned. That's what the 28-day replacement rule was introduced for, and it worked exactly as it should. If Oxford had permanently replaced Kerr with Riss, Kerr may never have been able to come back into the team. 

Edited by BackInTheDHSS

8 minutes ago, Marksman said:

We've averaged exactly 2 points per meeting from reserve all season, and often it's just the 1 from Heat 2 we get.

Starke riding at reserve has to be an improvement on that, considering he was riding at No.2 for Glasgow.

Can take 5 rides every meeting replacing McGurk so even 5 points per meeting would be a massive improvement

My comment can be seen as lacking enthusiasm. It is. I know he'll do a job and he'll beat a lot of reserves. I'm just in the mindset that I would like a reserve to be a young talent like Ace.

I know Paul is the sensible decision though and I can see him doing well

Just now, Woke23 said:

My comment can be seen as lacking enthusiasm. It is. I know he'll do a job and he'll beat a lot of reserves. I'm just in the mindset that I would like a reserve to be a young talent like Ace.

No improvement in ace he's gone backwards this season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woke23 said:

Yeah Ace definately worth a go again next season on his average, hopefully him and Slater Lightcap if he gets his qualifying visa.

32 minutes ago, DJC said:

Totally agree with that, basically they dropped Klindt for Riss because they wanted to use Nicholls as a guest for Kerr. The BSPL / SCB should have said no to dropping Klindt when Kerr was injured.

Riss could've replaced Kerr, then when Kerr was fit he could replace Klindt = no guests needed.

Just now, Marksman said:

Yeah Ace definately worth a go again next season on his average, hopefully him and Slater Lightcap if he gets his qualifying visa.

Younger riders coming through definitely worth a shot over Ace.

15 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

But why should Oxford HAVE to replace a rider who is temporarily injured and will return to the team? Kerr was literally only out of action for the 28 days that Oxford signed Cook for, and then he came back into the team as planned. That's what the 28-day replacement rule was introduced for, and it worked exactly as it should. If Oxford had permanently replaced Kerr with Riss, Kerr may never have been able to come back into the team. 

2 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Totally agree with that, basically they dropped Klindt for Riss because they wanted to use Nicholls as a guest for Kerr. The BSPL / SCB should have said no to dropping Klindt when Kerr was injured.

Riss could've replaced Kerr, then when Kerr was fit he could replace Klindt = no guests needed.

what @szkocjasid said! 

Not having a full 7 when they have the chance is ridiculous 

4 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Whilst Starke was terribly disappointing for us, it’s the right change to make if you want to make the playoffs.

I think it might be the right move to make to help Glasgow make the playoffs

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

You can have all the theories you want, but Riss was signed to replace Klindt, and Cook was signed to replace Kerr. Oxford never dropped someone and didn't replace them.

https://britishspeedway.co.uk/rowe-motor-oil-premiership/spires-move-for-riss/
https://britishspeedway.co.uk/rowe-motor-oil-premiership/spires-are-cooking/

What's happening with Henry Atkins at Oxford. Is he still in their team or is he dropped as they seem to be using different guests for him?

22 minutes ago, mc131 said:

No improvement in ace he's gone backwards this season. 

20 minutes ago, mc131 said:

Younger riders coming through definitely worth a shot over Ace.

Ive never been convinced that Ace is championship standard, has has just been made to look like he is due to the watering down. 

There are other riders coming through but definitely not enough to go round. Even the last batch has seen riders struggle to adapt to CL life like Hodder and James and they featured in a tougher NL than the next crop will

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gambo95 said:

What's happening with Henry Atkins at Oxford. Is he still in their team or is he dropped as they seem to be using different guests for him?

He was replaced by Adam Roynon, who rode one match and is currently out injured.

22 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Ive never been convinced that Ace is championship standard, has has just been made to look like he is due to the watering down. 

There are other riders coming through but definitely not enough to go round. Even the last batch has seen riders struggle to adapt to CL life like Hodder and James and they featured in a tougher NL than the next crop will

While McGurk, Hodder, Perry & James have struggled this year there doesn't seem to be a great amount of replacements out there for them. Weakening the NL won't make next season any better.

I honestly think they need to use the Prem's rules of weakest rider at 7 / can't get replaced in heat 8. At least that was these 2.00 riders will race each other twice a match.

48 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Whilst Starke was terribly disappointing for us, it’s the right change to make if you want to make the playoffs.

42 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I think it might be the right move to make to help Glasgow make the playoffs

Starke's Glasgow average is higher than Leibmann's Workington average.

Starke & Pijper combined have higher averages than Ivacic & Garrad. Of the two teams Workington have made the better change imo.

• Like 3