British Speedway Forum

Workington 2024

7 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

Sam does not appear to have moved on at all from last season. Celina is very tidy on the bike but like Sam is let down by her gating , she also visibly does not appear to want to mix it in first corners and knocks off the throttle. I don't believe either will be in the team next season based on their form to date so it is really down to whether the promotion see us as playoff contenders and what further ambitions they have should we make them. Some fans will be happy with were we are for our first season back in the Championship while others will want us to push on and achieve what we can which will help to maintain fans interest as far into the season as possible. One would think the latter may well be more beneficial financially.

Both Edinburgh (Hook) and Birmingham (Pearson) signed 4.00 newcomers in 2022, who averaged less than 3.00. They both brought them back for a second season, hoping they'd improve but ended up dropping them. Ironically they finally hit the averages after leaving the clubs, Pearson last year, Hook this year.

So if Leibmann lasts the season, which seems likely, they should certainly bring her back & try to reap the benefit of being patient with her. I'd they're not planning to bring her back, don't see the benefit of keeping her till the end of the season?

The biggest difference is, Edinburgh & Birmingham were near the bottom of the league, so a change of reserve wouldn't win them trophies, as Workington are much stronger (at 1-5) there is more reason to make a change this season than waiting for Leibmann to hit her assessed average.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Both Edinburgh (Hook) and Birmingham (Pearson) signed 4.00 newcomers in 2022, who averaged less than 3.00. They both brought them back for a second season, hoping they'd improve but ended up dropping them. Ironically they finally hit the averages after leaving the clubs, Pearson last year, Hook this year.

So if Leibmann lasts the season, which seems likely, they should certainly bring her back & try to reap the benefit of being patient with her. I'd they're not planning to bring her back, don't see the benefit of keeping her till the end of the season?

The biggest difference is, Edinburgh & Birmingham were near the bottom of the league, so a change of reserve wouldn't win them trophies, as Workington are much stronger (at 1-5) there is more reason to make a change this season than waiting for Leibmann to hit her assessed average.

Pearson was an enigma when he came over as he was/is a far better rider than he was delivering. Leibmann clearly has pace but can't gate and that will have to drastically improve if she is to ever get near her assessed average. It strikes me that she is happier having the pace dictated by at least one rider in front rather than be there and set it herself.

McGurk could keep his place but solely because there are limited riders coming through. Both he and his brother have been raised on bigger circuits and lack the technical side of thier riding which will always continue to hurt thier progress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Pearson was an enigma when he came over as he was/is a far better rider than he was delivering. Leibmann clearly has pace but can't gate and that will have to drastically improve if she is to ever get near her assessed average. It strikes me that she is happier having the pace dictated by at least one rider in front rather than be there and set it herself.

McGurk could keep his place but solely because there are limited riders coming through. Both he and his brother have been raised on bigger circuits and lack the technical side of thier riding which will always continue to hurt thier progress.

I think this is a fair assessment. There is a small tight training track at Northside which could help, don't know if Sam has ever spent time on there . Dan and Tate certainly spent some time on there pre-season, they were joined by Brady Kurtz on at least one occasion.

10 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

Where is Celina at on Friday when she should be riding at Scunny ? (Nathan Ablitt guests I believe ?)

How can Nathan Ablitt guest for Celina at Scunthorpe when Ablitt rides for Scunthorpe lol 

Plus Ablitt's average is higher then the publicity stunt 

Edited by Fozzie4388
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

Where is Celina at on Friday when she should be riding at Scunny ? (Nathan Ablitt guests I believe ?)

is that the same  Nathan Ablitt that rides for scunthorpe  ?

think Celina is getting her hair done , could be wrong tho .

i think it could be jake mulford  tomorrow ..

Edited by j2ohh

15 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Celina dropped from the Comets, thanks Celina for all your efforts , good luck in the future .

Tough saddled with a 4pt average, a millstone that isn't going away any time soon. Tidy rider, quick when in clear air (around Northside anyway) , gating is pants though and that lets her down hugely. 

4 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Ace pijper for Celina and maybe manzares for Tate ? 

Anyone who saw Manzares at the SON knows that would be a poor move. The press release says the release of Celina is to allow for strengthening to help the Comets make the playoffs. I don’t see a Glasgow reject and a rider who hasn’t raced in UK for several years doing that. 
Comets were riding high due to a rejuvenated Cook and Tate hugely exceeding his average. They’re well over the building limit so need to be looking for like for like replacements - another 4 pointer and someone close to Tate’s 7.36

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Anyone who saw Manzares at the SON knows that would be a poor move. The press release says the release of Celina is to allow for strengthening to help the Comets make the playoffs. I don’t see a Glasgow reject and a rider who hasn’t raced in UK for several years doing that. 
Comets were riding high due to a rejuvenated Cook and Tate hugely exceeding his average. They’re well over the building limit so need to be looking for like for like replacements - another 4 pointer and someone close to Tate’s 7.36

Not sure if Manzares is on the radar but he’d significantly strengthen the Comets at reserve (4pt average)

Scored 8 points in the Ben Fund meeting at Northside and looked good

24 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Not sure if Manzares is on the radar but he’d significantly strengthen the Comets at reserve (4pt average)

Scored 8 points in the Ben Fund meeting at Northside and looked good

I’d missed that about Manzares and could see the merit in replacing Celina with him rather than him replacing Tate, assuming he comes in on a 4. But Manzares has been unsuccessfully angling for a UK team place for a couple of years now, and you have to wonder why no one has taken him up

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

This was funny in your head right?

see you had to edit your post. was it too hard to put a small post on here .  never mind , we all make mistakes .

look , so did i .

Edited by j2ohh

13 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Can anyone tell me of a good reason why foreign riders get pinned with a minimum 4 points average that'll make them virtually unemployable when their learning the trade and yet British Riders can drop to a 2?

It was brought in to give British youngsters an advantage. Otherwise mediocre foreign riders would take their places. 
when signing a foreign rider you need to be certain they are of a certain quality and be better than the British options. 
sweden seem to have very few young Swedish riders in their league because they filled their teams up with polish riders good and bad. If there are no team places they simply disappear. 

• Like 3