British Speedway Forum

Workington 2024

11 hours ago, Neila said:

Gonna run them close at Win board Road this time 

Like your optimism Neila but only the belief, determination and  preparation of the 7 Comets on the night can do that.

I would much rather we had the home leg first on this occasion mainly because I believe another poor result at Poole will once again affect the gate at Northside. The 7 riders wearing the big C in the Poole leg need to all produce a performance aimed at keeping the deficit to 10 or less, this would set the 2nd leg up nicely.  We would still need to pull off the result of our season but the racing should be top drawer and hopefully a great watch if the Comets have the bit between their teeth. UTC !

2 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

Like your optimism Neila but only the belief, determination and  preparation of the 7 Comets on the night can do that.

I would much rather we had the home leg first on this occasion mainly because I believe another poor result at Poole will once again affect the gate at Northside. The 7 riders wearing the big C in the Poole leg need to all produce a performance aimed at keeping the deficit to 10 or less, this would set the 2nd leg up nicely.  We would still need to pull off the result of our season but the racing should be top drawer and hopefully a great watch if the Comets have the bit between their teeth. UTC !

We need big performances from all. Cookie in heat 15 at poole recently showed what he is capable of with working machinery. Troy is more than capable of putting up good pts too. 

All comes down to the other riders and our choice of guests I suppose. 

On 9/4/2024 at 12:54 PM, RoundTheBoards said:

Would have thought Poole would want the advantage of the second leg, but maybe they just want to crack on with it, and are confident of winning either way, so they've gone for the first leg.

What "second leg advantage"?

Last year the BSN, KOC & play-offs won by the team with the home leg first.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

As far as I see it the only advantage is that if there is a superheat you get home advantage.

I think promoter's want second leg because they get a bigger crowd to see the trophy actually decided.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

As far as I see it the only advantage is that if there is a superheat you get home advantage.

I think promoter's want second leg because they get a bigger crowd to see the trophy actually decided.

I agree for the final, definitely want the second leg at home, to lift the trophy in front of your own fans.

If I was a team against Poole if want the home leg first, get a good crowd, will be harder to get a big crowd if you're chasing a big deficit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

1 hour ago, RoundTheBoards said:

The team with the second leg know what they need to pull back.

They have the advantage of having any "super heat" at home

Their crowd get to see the trophy presented.

For your first point, a team away from home in the second leg, know how many they have to score to hold onto the lead!

Second point agree - but how often do you get ties over 30 heats.

Third point, agree the favourites will certainly want the second leg at home in the final, no advantage in semi finals.

Today, Redcar & Scunthorpe just got knocked out when they had the second leg at home, did they have an advantage?

• Like 2

On 9/4/2024 at 10:49 PM, Marksman said:

If we make the playoffs, I'm guessing the 2nd leg would be the 14th Sept.

Oxford/Scunny riding on 11th and 13th, seems to be an appetite to get the meetings done quickly.

Any further indications on the possible date of the 2nd leg?

22 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Aside from trying to find a guest for Cook against Poole think Anders Rowe would be a great guest for Zischke or Vissing, former Poole rider as well.

Hopefully Riss and Anders Rowe are in at Poole on Wednesday.

Then this line up which fits at Home, would at least give us a fighting chance

1. Pickering (G)

2. Rowe (G)

3. Vuolas

4. Dan Thompson (G)

5. Batchelor

6. McGurk

7. Starke

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marksman said:

1. Pickering (G)

2. Rowe (G)

3. Vuolas

4. Dan Thompson (G)

5. Batchelor

6. McGurk

7. Starke

That team would score some good points BUT the crowd the last 2 meetings was well down, don't think it would be affordable especially if we are well beat at Poole again 

8 hours ago, Marksman said:

1. Pickering (G)

2. Rowe (G)

3. Vuolas

4. Dan Thompson (G)

5. Batchelor

6. McGurk

7. Starke

I hope you are wrong because there is a  Jordan Jenkins  sized hole in the Oxford team on Wednesday which Anders Rowe would fill perfectly

10 hours ago, Marksman said:

1. Pickering (G)

2. Rowe (G)

3. Vuolas

4. Dan Thompson (G)

5. Batchelor

6. McGurk

7. Starke

That's a fantastic looking team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neila said:

That team would score some good points BUT the crowd the last 2 meetings was well down, don't think it would be affordable especially if we are well beat at Poole again 

Leave that up to the promotion Neila. I would argue you can't afford to not have that team, would be a fantastic spectacle  and worth paying to see.

52 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Leave that up to the promotion Neila. I would argue you can't afford to not have that team, would be a fantastic spectacle  and worth paying to see.

Who will guest for Cook on Wednesday?  Lewi Kerr looks favourite.........or maybe go r/r?😉