British Speedway Forum

Workington 2024

8 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Yes, they would.

Thanks, that looks like the best bet assuming Rowe wants more meetings. Pijper knows the track so I’m sure he could match what Celina was scoring at the very least and Rowe would score decent especially riding at number 2, better than relying on guests imo.

Edited by bloom89

A long time coming if you ask me. People saying on the old facebook to get rid of sam. Would have been the wrong choice. Apart from the odd good race Celina just isn’t good enough for the championship. Maybe in the future, but not now. Good decision, finally, by the promotion. Manzares on a 4 to replace her would be a good change. He’d be a brilliant reserve, but I’m sure we’ll soon find out.

Anders Rowe's converted CL ave is 7.49, which is higher than Tate, so unless there is a 2.5% British deduction? probably won't fit.

Erik Riss was the prime target and had talks, but it didn't work out with European commitments, James Denham writes about this in the Poole programme.

4 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Anders Rowe's converted CL ave is 7.49, which is higher than Tate, so unless there is a 2.5% British deduction? probably won't fit.

Erik Riss was the prime target and had talks, but it didn't work out with European commitments, James Denham writes about this in the Poole programme.

Ah, yes, I did the maths too early in the morning and confused myself. Hard to see who could fit there. Personally, I’d love to see Glasgow sign Rowe with Worrall out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Noelinho said:

Ah, yes, I did the maths too early in the morning and confused myself. Hard to see who could fit there. Personally, I’d love to see Glasgow sign Rowe with Worrall out.

Rowe would be a great fit for either club. I believe it's just guests for Worky, Jordan Jenkins is guesting away at Redcar on Friday so don't think there is going to be a replacement i'm afraid.

8 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Rowe would be a great fit for either club. I believe it's just guests for Worky, Jordan Jenkins is guesting away at Redcar on Friday so don't think there is going to be a replacement i'm afraid.

Are you allowed to drop someone and just use guests? I thought you would have to sign a replacement. 

Or do you mean guests for Tate? 

Edited by lisa-colette

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

Are you allowed to drop someone and just use guests? I thought you would have to sign a replacement. 

Oxford have and possibly Kings Lynn

Edited by DJC

1 hour ago, Cast1rn said:

Can anyone tell me of a good reason why foreign riders get pinned with a minimum 4 points average that'll make them virtually unemployable when their learning the trade and yet British Riders can drop to a 2?

1 hour ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

It was brought in to give British youngsters an advantage. Otherwise mediocre foreign riders would take their places. 
when signing a foreign rider you need to be certain they are of a certain quality and be better than the British options. 
sweden seem to have very few young Swedish riders in their league because they filled their teams up with polish riders good and bad. If there are no team places they simply disappear. 

Brilliant answer, why would British Speedway want to fly over foreign based riders or have to find them accomodation etc when they don't score points? I think the minimum 4.00 average for foreigners is a great rule.

Go back 5/10 years and riders like Rafal Konopka, Anders Andersen, Arlo Bugeja would keep getting chances on 3.00 averages at reserve. Nothing against these guys riding in Britain, but shouldn't be taking the place of a Brit who will score as many.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

No.

35 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Jordan Jenkins guesting for Tate that is!

31 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Brilliant answer, why would British Speedway want to fly over foreign based riders or have to find them accomodation etc when they don't score points? I think the minimum 4.00 average for foreigners is a great rule.

Go back 5/10 years and riders like Rafal Konopka, Anders Andersen, Arlo Bugeja would keep getting chances on 3.00 averages at reserve. Nothing against these guys riding in Britain, but shouldn't be taking the place of a Brit who will score as many.

I get signing them in on a 4 to encourage the inclusion of British riders what I dont agree with is the fact they can't drop below 4. 

What they've done now is basically put any chance of anyone signing Celina for 2025 as improbable.

If they want to encourage more British youngsters coming through do the same as the Poles and make the reserves British only.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DJC said:

They dropped Klindt when Kerr was injured and signed Cook to replace Klindt didn't they?

Nope. They dropped Nicolai Klindt and signed Erik Riss. It was a direct replacement.

Craig Cook was signed as an injury replacement for Lewis Kerr, who then returned once the 28 days were up.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

I get signing them in on a 4 to encourage the inclusion of British riders what I dont agree with is the fact they can't drop below 4. 

What they've done now is basically put any chance of anyone signing Celina for 2025 as improbable.

If they want to encourage more British youngsters coming through do the same as the Poles and make the reserves British only.

Yes but then you would get an abundance of teams who were out of the play off /  title hunt signing 4 point foreigners for the latter part of the season, getting them to drop their average and then sign up the following year on 2/3 taking the place of a potential brit (or brit with potential).  Im not 1000% convinced about dropping the lower limit for 2.00 for Brits either. In my mind riders should be getting places because they are good enough simple as, not just because their low average allows points to be used to sign stronger riders elsewhere.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Nope. They dropped Nicolai Klindt and signed Erik Riss. It was a direct replacement.

Craig Cook was signed as an injury replacement for Lewis Kerr, who then returned once the 28 days were up.

I got Riss and Cook mixed up but green sheets shows Riss for Klindt effective 18/4- Kerr broke his ankle on the 11th April.

They rode at Ipswich on the 18th with Nicholls and Clouting guested 

Nicholls guested for Ker on the 25th April vs Kings Lynn

Cook then came in for Kerr 1st May and made his debut at Sheffield.

So in theory, the change should have been Riss for Kerr on the 18th as he was the injured rider. 

4 minutes ago, DJC said:

I got Riss and Cook mixed up but green sheets shows Riss for Klindt effective 18/4- Kerr broke his ankle on the 11th April.

They rode at Ipswich on the 18th with Nicholls and Clouting guested 

Nicholls guested for Ker on the 25th April vs Kings Lynn

Cook then came in for Kerr 1st May and made his debut at Sheffield.

So in theory, the change should have been Riss for Kerr on the 18th as he was the injured rider. 

You can have all the theories you want, but Riss was signed to replace Klindt, and Cook was signed to replace Kerr. Oxford never dropped someone and didn't replace them.

https://britishspeedway.co.uk/rowe-motor-oil-premiership/spires-move-for-riss/
https://britishspeedway.co.uk/rowe-motor-oil-premiership/spires-are-cooking/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Yes but then you would get an abundance of teams who were out of the play off /  title hunt signing 4 point foreigners for the latter part of the season, getting them to drop their average and then sign up the following year on 2/3 taking the place of a potential brit (or brit with potential).  Im not 1000% convinced about dropping the lower limit for 2.00 for Brits either. In my mind riders should be getting places because they are good enough simple as, not just because their low average allows points to be used to sign stronger riders elsewhere.

You mean pull a Richie Lawson ? :rolleyes: and put Anders on a higher average than what he was worth and out of a ride for 2024?