British Speedway Forum

Workington 2024

40 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Out on the very same limb as they were in 1970 to 1981 and 1999 to 2018......during both of those periods I recall very much of seeing a great many away followers at Derwent Park....then enjoying a pint with many post meeting. Workington is not on Mars ok.???

Maybe they we're referring to its inhabitants? :o

Great to see Workington build back. 

Giving the amount of time, money and effort it has taken to get Workington speedway back up and running I feel they were left with little option but to go Championship next year, especially when it is obvious there wont be a third tier league anymore.

14 minutes ago, screm said:

Giving the amount of time, money and effort it has taken to get Workington speedway back up and running I feel they were left with little option but to go Championship next year, especially when it is obvious there wont be a third tier league anymore.

I read that with other NDL teams not running next year, Worky and another team were advised of there being no NDL in 24, so they were recommended by the BSPL to go into the Championship. 

43 minutes ago, Neila said:

Yea gonna be good when Mr shovler realises his beloved team has to be massively dismantled :D

Poole have a good record at restructuring teams when necessary. I suspect that whatever the points limit they will prove more astute than their rivals at putting together a septet under the new points limit whatever it is.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Not sure why Dan would ride in the Championship, and Sunday afternoons will be a no-go too.

Will it have to be Sunday afternoon?  I'd read on here that they'd bought the track lights from Peterborough - maybe they're planning stock cars or something then because you don't need lights in the afternoon.

Brilliant news yesterday . The Northside track is fantastic , got to be the widest in the country . Can just see Bomber blasting round the outside of those bends . That track deserves to be at a higher level , roll on 2024 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Will it have to be Sunday afternoon?  I'd read on here that they'd bought the track lights from Peterborough - maybe they're planning stock cars or something then because you don't need lights in the afternoon.

Maybe if they install lights they may change their race day as Sundays can be difficult rider wise in GB these days

14 hours ago, 1Tsunami said:

I read that with other NDL teams not running next year, Worky and another team were advised of there being no NDL in 24, so they were recommended by the BSPL to go into the Championship

Of course the BSPL are going to recommend thru go into the Champ, hardly gonna recommend they close down or join Nora are they!

Which begs the question, was the recommendation in the best interests of the club or the BSPL?

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Maybe if they install lights they may change their race day as Sundays can be difficult rider wise in GB these days

As Newcastle found out to their ultimate cost.

Really hope it works out for all at Worky.  Used to love going across every Saturday night when I was filming for Bob (GRT Media) and Workington were always my second team (see where I was born for why!).  Hopefully I will get across in 2024 to sample the place for myself.