British Speedway Forum

Who COULD Have Been a Major Force in World Speedway?

chunky

On 10/26/2023 at 12:35 PM, mikebv said:

Wieslaw Jagus..

Rode for several years at the very top echelons of Poland's averages in Div 1..

Yet, never really made the transition to Global level..

Kolodziej, a simlar story I would say..

Stefan Kwoczala was Polish champion in 1959 and seventh in the World Final the following year. He rode for Leicester that year but was only allowed one season of racing in Britain and returned to ride in the Polish domestic league in 1961. Sadly, he suffered serious head injuries in a track crash in May of that year which effectively ended his career. Who knows what he might otherwise have achieved.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Split said:

Stefan Kwoczala was Polish champion in 1959 and seventh in the World Final the following year. He rode for Leicester that year but was only allowed one season of racing in Britain and returned to ride in the Polish domestic league in 1961. Sadly, he suffered serious head injuries in a track crash in May of that year which effectively ended his career. Who knows what he might otherwise have achieved.

Yes, I agree. I saw him. couple of times in 1960 and thought he looked really good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Split said:

He certainly looked a fine prospect. In the closing weeks of the 1960 season his UK scores in consecutive meetings (four at Leicester, four away) were 14 (from 5 rides), 15 (5), 14 (5), 14 (5), 14+1 (6), 13+2 (6), 15 (5), 15 (5). CMA 10.86.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, norbold said:

Yes, I agree. I saw him. couple of times in 1960 and thought he looked really good.

While he stood out in particular, what about any of those other Poles of that era? Pawel Waloszek, Henryk Zyto, and Marian Kaiser? Zyto showed some great form, including winning the Midland Riders Championship, and Waloszek twice finished in the Top 5 of the World Final.

Who knows what they may have achieved with an extended spell in Britain?

4 hours ago, chunky said:

While he stood out in particular, what about any of those other Poles of that era? Pawel Waloszek, Henryk Zyto, and Marian Kaiser? Zyto showed some great form, including winning the Midland Riders Championship, and Waloszek twice finished in the Top 5 of the World Final.

Who knows what they may have achieved with an extended spell in Britain?

Yes, indeed. All of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I would add David Shields into this list. A talented Aussie, but was happier being at home on the farm. A great season in 1981 for the Heathens, and looked like he was going to kick on, but sadly never returned or (as far as I'm aware) rode in anger again. He could tell all of his friends and family though that he rode with Bruce Penhall and Erik Gundersen.

Edited by Gert Handbag

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 2:24 PM, frigbo said:

As he didn't prioritise it, Simon Wigg never reached the individual heights in speedway that his early years promised. 

On 10/15/2023 at 4:46 PM, OveFundinFan said:

But he was 5 times world long track champion, that may have been the problem. Not all could do both speedway and long track at the very top level. Seems like Simon Wigg was one of them. Get hold of his book if you can, a very good read.

The Wiggy of 83/84 looked so hungry and sharp and destined to be at the sharp end for years. Looking back, the ban he had from international speedway in 85 coupled with winning the World Long Track that same year completely changed the direction of his career. I’m not sure speedway ever became an absolute priority again. I remember him going out of the World Champs at the Commonwealth Final one year and he was really poor.

Sticking with long trackers, did Marcel Gerard ever give speedway a go? Pretty remarkable that a guy from Switzerland could win the WLT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fatface said:

Sticking with long trackers, did Marcel Gerard ever give speedway a go? Pretty remarkable that a guy from Switzerland could win the WLT.

Absolutely he did. Thing is, coming from a country where speedway didn't exist made it very difficult. He did ride in odd meetings on the continent, but obviously, was more successful on long track and grass.

12 hours ago, fatface said:

The Wiggy of 83/84 looked so hungry and sharp and destined to be at the sharp end for years. Looking back, the ban he had from international speedway in 85 coupled with winning the World Long Track that same year completely changed the direction of his career. I’m not sure speedway ever became an absolute priority again. I remember him going out of the World Champs at the Commonwealth Final one year and he was really poor.

Personally I think that "Wiggy" always prioritised  Grasstrack/Longtrack over speedway. Shame because I think he could have become a real big force in speedway however he didn't do too bad all things considered.

15 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Personally I think that "Wiggy" always prioritised  Grasstrack/Longtrack over speedway. Shame because I think he could have become a real big force in speedway however he didn't do too bad all things considered.

Yep, the boy done good. But three World Finals is probably a bit sub-par for his abilities. I just think 85 was pivotal really...the year following a decent World Final debut...he was banned from the World Championship. Then in winning the WLT that same year, he made himself hot property (and very well paid) on the continent....and that tipped the balance. I get it entirely. But there's no doubt his speedway suffered.

59 minutes ago, fatface said:

Yep, the boy done good. But three World Finals is probably a bit sub-par for his abilities. I just think 85 was pivotal really...the year following a decent World Final debut...he was banned from the World Championship. Then in winning the WLT that same year, he made himself hot property (and very well paid) on the continent....and that tipped the balance. I get it entirely. But there's no doubt his speedway suffered.

Being a "Cheetahs" fan I saw first hand Wiggy's exploits. He could be briiliant but also disappointing. Hans always said that he continually "tinkered" with his bikes which affected his performances on occasions.

Edited by steve roberts