British Speedway Forum

Glasgow Tigers 2024

22 hours ago, Jaizer said:

I'm no expert on polish speedway but looking through the updates I'm seeing one meeting in the 3rd tier scoring 5 points. In the same meeting bellego scored 13 and would also have come in on a 6. I don't see this as strengthening and as paulco says has longer term implications for the club..

Ivacic rode regularly in the Polish third tier last season finishing above Steve Worrall and Josh Pickering. 

My concern is that he really doesn't seem to be racing regularly. He has potential, but I still find the dropping of a promising 17 year old for 36 y.o. Garrad (even if he has done spectacularly well for us at Oxford this year) hard to stomach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, arnieg said:

My concern is that he really doesn't seem to be racing regularly.

He'll fit right in at Glasgow then, we barely have a meeting from one week to the next.

Its becoming ever harder to maintain enthusiasm for a sport thats become so infrequent and dragged out over 6 months when it could be done in 3 - 4 including rain offs and play offs.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, MD said:

He'll fit right in at Glasgow then, we barely have a meeting from one week to the next.

Its becoming ever harder to maintain enthusiasm for a sport thats become so infrequent and dragged out over 6 months when it could be done in 3 - 4 including rain offs and play offs.

Second paragraph spot on same as last season not enough meetings and still struggle to finish season dreadful 

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Ivacic rode regularly in the Polish third tier last season finishing above Steve Worrall and Josh Pickering. 

My concern is that he really doesn't seem to be racing regularly. He has potential, but I still find the dropping of a promising 17 year old for 36 y.o. Garrad (even if he has done spectacularly well for us at Oxford this year) hard to stomach.

While I agree it's not ideal that a 17-year-old has been dropped, I don't think Garrad's age should be a factor. He's not an old journeyman (a la Adam Roynon) taking a team spot, he's making improvements almost week-on-week after a late start (or return) to the sport. He has the potential to go higher and wants to compete at a higher level, so I'm pleased to see him get the chance.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

Second paragraph spot on same as last season not enough meetings and still struggle to finish season dreadful 

Talked to few supporters whose enthusiasm is starting to wain unfortunately.This stop and start fixture list fiasco need sorted out for next season.Some are calling it a Mid Term break whenever did that used to happen in the middle of the season.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MD said:

The crowd for the Plymouth fixture was the worst I have seen for a long time , I know it is the school holiday’s etc but I’m sure the sporadic fixtures have also been a factor.

People get out habits very easily and given that there is no speedway more often than there is on a Friday it’s no surprise that crowd levels are dropping significantly.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MD said:

100% on this. In the past speedway was my no.1 priority on Friday nights, missed more meetings last 2 seasons than have in the previous 15. And it's all down to not having the constant weekly fix, if I'm  finding something else to do with my Friday nights you can bet the casual supporter most definitely has. 

Sport has to have a long hard think about where it's going because champ in particular has been run into the crapper last 3/4 years. Also having a TV advert running saying speedway every Friday night when there's no match for 3 weeks seems bit daft too!!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jaizer said:

100% on this. In the past speedway was my no.1 priority on Friday nights, missed more meetings last 2 seasons than have in the previous 15. And it's all down to not having the constant weekly fix, if I'm  finding something else to do with my Friday nights you can bet the casual supporter most definitely has. 

Sport has to have a long hard think about where it's going because champ in particular has been run into the crapper last 3/4 years. Also having a TV advert running saying speedway every Friday night when there's no match for 3 weeks seems bit daft too!!

In my opinion we’re witnessing the best speedway ever seen on a Glasgow track…… but what could be regular fantastic enjoyment is being totally spoiled by these outrageous sporadic fixtures. It really must be having an effect on attendances and needs to be addressed for next year. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

In my opinion we’re witnessing the best speedway ever seen on a Glasgow track…… but what could be regular fantastic enjoyment is being totally spoiled by these outrageous sporadic fixtures. It really must be having an effect on attendances and needs to be addressed for next year. 

Run an NDL team?

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 11:27 AM, Diablo said:

The Cami curve ball now played with bringing in an untried Eastern European rider but a couple of changes is what the side needed as a play off place is looking a bridge too far at the moment.

Ivacic might turn out to be another trump card like Tarasenko  last season & a cunning move from champion Cami or it’s mid table mediocrity  & Brown will really feel the heat this time.

You're plumbing the depths with that thought. :D

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gazc said:

The crowd for the Plymouth fixture was the worst I have seen for a long time , I know it is the school holiday’s etc but I’m sure the sporadic fixtures have also been a factor.

People get out habits very easily and given that there is no speedway more often than there is on a Friday it’s no surprise that crowd levels are dropping significantly.

Evidence if you needed it that our fixture list is killing us. That Plymouth fixture was off the back of 7 weeks without a home Tigers meeting and since then we are in a 3 week gap to the next one. As it is we then only have 2 home fixtures in August. 

The hardest bit is how to change it, the lack of fixtures has gotten incrementally worse from 2021 and if true that it was only Glasgow and Poole, who for example voted against lowering the points limit, perhaps other clubs in our league are happy with the fixtures this way and will vote accordingly. I don't want or don't see moving to the PL as a solution however I don't think this can continue either.

Once upon a time I arranged my holidays around our July away fixtures, now I can barely muster the energy to head to Ashfield on rare Friday nights, but do admit to loving it once I'm actually there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MD said:

Evidence if you needed it that our fixture list is killing us. That Plymouth fixture was off the back of 7 weeks without a home Tigers meeting and since then we are in a 3 week gap to the next one. As it is we then only have 2 home fixtures in August. 

The hardest bit is how to change it, the lack of fixtures has gotten incrementally worse from 2021 and if true that it was only Glasgow and Poole, who for example voted against lowering the points limit, perhaps other clubs in our league are happy with the fixtures this way and will vote accordingly. I don't want or don't see moving to the PL as a solution however I don't think this can continue either.

Once upon a time I arranged my holidays around our July away fixtures, now I can barely muster the energy to head to Ashfield on rare Friday nights, but do admit to loving it once I'm actually there.

Berwick were at Glasgow the week before Plymouth, but i understand your frustration with fixtures. We {Berwick} don't have a home meeting until July 27th a 5 week gap inbetween fixtures. 

• Like 1

Everyone saying that Jason is a terrible replacement for Ace clearly don't understand the team building averages.

He hasn't been brought in to replace Ace, he's been brought in to allow Paul Starke to be replaced with a 6 pointer.

Looking at Ace's scoring, his last 6 meetings (minus the Scunthorpe meeting) were 3,0,2,1,1,2.

Paul Starkes scoring was

The Gamble is can  Matic and Jason score more than 5/6 between them? Per meeting, if they can then the gamble pays off.

Also with these changes, James Pearson drops to #6 allowing him to take one of Garrads rides if needed and if jack is struggling at 2, take one of his heats too.

Edited by Cast1rn
  • Like 4

I get that the fans don’t like the fact that Ace has left the club BUT that is not Jason’s fault, let him at least turn a wheel at Glasgow before putting him down. At the end of the day Jason is like any rider he just wants to get on the track and race his bike. He has really progressed at Oxford in the NDL, he has gone from being a reserve to being a heat leader, team rider etc. it’s been nice to see how he has progressed give him a couple of meetings to get used to the track and then have your say.

• Like 3