British Speedway Forum

Glasgow Tigers 2024

8 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

I went up for the U 21 and the racing was fantastic , don’t really need superstars to provide good racing just riders of similar ability.

I was a little surprised at the low turn out but this could have been because the Tigers had just been riding on the two previous nights and fans had already forked out on sway trips to watch their own team.

Also it was on BSN

3 hours ago, topaz325 said:

I went up for the U 21 and the racing was fantastic , don’t really need superstars to provide good racing just riders of similar ability.

I was a little surprised at the low turn out but this could have been because the Tigers had just been riding on the two previous nights and fans had already forked out on sway trips to watch their own team.

I think there were a few more there than last year to be honest and similarly to last year, the racing was extremely competitive. I genuinely hope we get it next year too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, topaz325 said:

What was the admission cost? The field was weaker than a Championship meeting, while that doesn't bother me, can effect attendance.

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

What was the admission cost? The field was weaker than a Championship meeting, while that doesn't bother me, can effect attendance.

£16 and £2.50 for a reduced size programme. Unless the riders were on NDL sized rates, the meeting must have made a sizeable loss. Not sure who has to absorb it. 

13 hours ago, Bandit59 said:

Also it was on BSN

I bought the stream on BSN. It was a very long way to go to see it live. It's a shame because the empty stands on the stream were very obvious and a bit disappointing. My main reason for saying that is the effect it would have had on the competitors. Oh well.

Despite the above, I thought this was an excellent meeting. Real commitment from the riders and a few surprises along the way. I have been to Glasgow a few times and I have to say that they have built an impressive set up and the racing is very entertaining. Well done.

And a special mention to Sam Hagon. His transfer to Leicester is obviously paying off :P

• Like 2

Delighted for Leon Flint who has qualified for this years SGP2 series after he came through his qualifying round in Macon France last night as I know it was high on his list of achievements for this season. The first of the three finals will be held at Malilla Sweden this coming Friday, the second final will be at Riga Latvia on the 6th of September with the third final at Torun Poland on the 27th of September.

• Like 3

Very good day for Leon Flint in the Extraleague Under-24 today, he has top scored for his club Czestochowa with 12+1 from 6 rides. Sadly his side went down 56-33 to home side Stal Gozow, in the same meeting James Pearson scored 5 from 5.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, screm said:

Leon Flint making his debut in the SGP2 series, link is here to see the meeting live.

http://kergel.ucoz.lv/index/live_stream_2/0-12

on Discovery+ as well

4 hours ago, Neila said:

Been no team changes yet, probably working to a budget this year :rolleyes: for a change 

Or they have faith in their riders to turn it around?

Perhaps more realistically feel there's no one average wise, who would improve the team?

19 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Or they have faith in their riders to turn it around?

Perhaps more realistically feel there's no one average wise, who would improve the team?

That's the thing, as mentioned plenty of times previously, who is available average wise to improve the team + what average would Jan come in on? I would guess maybe 7 or 7.5, which would suggest a triple change if true?

2 minutes ago, Beirao said:

It's a big ask for Pijper, Pearson and Starke to hit the ground running this weekend as their last meeting was about three w weeks ago. 

It does take the edge of the season for fans .2-3 weeks without a meeting then another gap in another couple of weeks in the height of summer.! Not good planning IMO

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Beirao said:

It's a big ask for Pijper, Pearson and Starke to hit the ground running this weekend as their last meeting was about three w weeks ago. 

Sure Starke has been guesting for Berwick recently? So no excuses for him! ;) Also doesn't Pearson ride in Poland? 

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

It does take the edge of the season for fans .2-3 weeks without a meeting then another gap in another couple of weeks in the height of summer.! Not good planning IMO

Would have said it's due to us not making the semis in either the BSN or the KO Cup but these ties haven't been raced yet. Indeed I don't think the dates have even been agreed. May be the full KO Cup draw - like the tennis at Wimbledon where the path to the final is known - should be made ahead of the league fixtures being drawn up and integrated into them. 

• Like 4