British Speedway Forum

Glasgow Tigers 2024

2 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

Not the slightest hint that the management are pondering options. Is it really an early exit for us on the back of a championship win?

I would be mightily surprised if there wasn't work going on in the background, as has been mentioned in other threads, riders that have priced themselves unknowingly of the shop window (Rowe) and pure rider availability is what's slowing the process I would imagine.

I would say first thing on the radar for 2025 is getting a danish paring back in the engine room. It's worked the last handful of years,Uli,Sam,Ben,Claus..... And seems to be where we're missing out this year.

On 6/2/2024 at 12:35 PM, Weeyin said:

Alan Dick did not want foreigners due to the extreme difficulty in reorganising rain offs last season with most of our riders in various leagues

The problem seems to have been arranging semi finals for the KO Cup and BSN against Wednesday night Oxford and Poole, rather than rain offs. Not a problem we're going to have this year!

4 hours ago, Beirao said:

The problem seems to have been arranging semi finals for the KO Cup and BSN against Wednesday night Oxford and Poole, rather than rain offs. Not a problem we're going to have this year!

Was thinking the same thing, one way to solve the issue of fitting in cup finals & play-offs is to pick a weak team that won't qualify lol!

On 6/2/2024 at 2:34 PM, Nickinho said:

Ben was always going to leave the Championship after last season but I agree about Claus. However, apart from Anders Rowe, which other regular rider has been squeezed out of the Championship this year due to the drop in averages who actually wanted a team place this season? 

That's what lots of people overlook. Many have slammed the low points limit, but if there's not a lot of stronger riders out there wanting a team spot, how could clubs have built to 40 instead of 38? Singing new 4.00 foreigners - having no 2.00 Brits?

I also would've preferred Vissing to Flint.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

I would be mightily surprised if there wasn't work going on in the background, as has been mentioned in other threads, riders that have priced themselves unknowingly of the shop window (Rowe) and pure rider availability is what's slowing the process I would imagine.

I would say first thing on the radar for 2025 is getting a danish paring back in the engine room. It's worked the last handful of years,Uli,Sam,Ben,Claus..... And seems to be where we're missing out this year.

Not to mention Rasmus

On 6/2/2024 at 8:36 AM, Weeyin said:

Dropping the points limit so dramatically has affected us more than most as had to lose a few, not bringing back Claus was a major faux pax, I think Tom was always going to leave.

The added 1.5 increase from anyone in the prem coming in does hinder progress for some of the youngsters like Anders Rowe who is not a 7 plus championship rider but is now saddled with that average.

The powers that be have destroyed the championship to benefit the premiership. Championship has been the better league for so long, as for Glasgow ,we should have gone up and kept most of last year's team but alas it was not to be.

1) while Glasgow did have to lose more points, they also had the same 38 points as every other club to build to this season. Gotta blame the riders / poor selection rather than the points limit.

2) I agree the average conversion rule is stupid. Basically saying because Rowe or Gilkes etc has missed a couple of months of Championship racing their old rolling ave is no longer valid. But as soon as they sign for a Champ side on their converted Prem average, will then go back to using their old Champ rolling average. 

3) Why would Championship promoters vite for a low limit if they didn't want it. Even if every club voted, there are more Championship teams, so they'd get what they want. Also how many riders have missed out on a team place due to the points limit. Most missing riders from the Champ appeared to want to drop the league.

4 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

1) while Glasgow did have to lose more points, they also had the same 38 points as every other club to build to this season. Gotta blame the riders / poor selection rather than the points limit.

2) I agree the average conversion rule is stupid. Basically saying because Rowe or Gilkes etc has missed a couple of months of Championship racing their old rolling ave is no longer valid. But as soon as they sign for a Champ side on their converted Prem average, will then go back to using their old Champ rolling average. 

3) Why would Championship promoters vite for a low limit if they didn't want it. Even if every club voted, there are more Championship teams, so they'd get what they want. Also how many riders have missed out on a team place due to the points limit. Most missing riders from the Champ appeared to want to drop the league.

Only 2 Championship clubs voted against the reduced points limit - Poole and Glasgow - Fact.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Only 2 Championship clubs voted against the reduced points limit - Poole and Glasgow - Fact.

I had no issue with the low points limit, if we can fill teams full of Brits, save on flying in riders etc all the better. Plus helps riders step up from the NDL.

Poole & Glasgow could always step up, or go with the majority vote, which they did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I had no issue with the low points limit, if we can fill teams full of Brits, save on flying in riders etc all the better. Plus helps riders step up from the NDL.

Poole & Glasgow could always step up, or go with the majority vote, which they did.

Don't know how feasible Glasgow going up would be. Closest away track would be Belle Vue while there are 4 tracks in the championship closer meaning probably less travelling support. Also having to race on a Monday/Thursday may cut down on some home fans. Can the draw of the big riders offset less travelling away fans. And there will be increased rider costs on top. You'd also lose the Scottish derby. You might have some Edinburgh fans coming over but it'd be a big gamble.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MB723 said:

Don't know how feasible Glasgow going up would be. Closest away track would be Belle Vue while there are 4 tracks in the championship closer meaning probably less travelling support. Also having to race on a Monday/Thursday may cut down on some home fans. Can the draw of the big riders offset less travelling away fans. And there will be increased rider costs on top. You'd also lose the Scottish derby. You might have some Edinburgh fans coming over but it'd be a big gamble.

Glasgow should be in the Premier League after that win in 2023.

Fans from Berwick, Edinburgh and Workington will likely travel, (in more collective numbers than they do now for away matches at Glasgow), just to see Premiership speedway with big name riders.  I am not buying the 'but we lose the derby' nonsense, (there is about 5 of them visit anyway).

A bit of marketing effort if we were to recruit a top flight Polish rider would bring in Polish fans from across Glasgow, there are many speedway fans that do not attend Ashfield but watch the Ekstraliga.....I know this for a fact.

The whole points limit thing goes, away, we could have retained Basso, Tarasenko for example.

And why can we not race on a Monday or a Thursday?, I just do not get that logic that we need to race on a Friday night...........I mean the difference between watching Sayfutinov on a Monday or a Thursday vs. watching what we currently watch on Friday is surely worth rearranging the set in stone date you get your perm done?

True speedway fans will travel anywhere to watch speedway no matter how far..........and I dare say the casual fan or any new target audience types probably already have better things to do on a Friday night.

17 minutes ago, MB723 said:

Watching the “big” riders doesn’t necessarily mean entertainment in my opinion as can be seen by some of the crap we sometimes witness on Eurosport. Last Sunday’s under 21 final proved that Ashfield can produce fantastic racing without the need for big names. I’ve never been a fan of leaving the championship due to the possible pitfalls you’ve mentioned. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, K7KDD said:

Fans from Berwick, Edinburgh and Workington will likely travel, (in more collective numbers than they do now for away matches at Glasgow), just to see Premiership speedway with big name riders.  I am not buying the 'but we lose the derby' nonsense, (there is about 5 of them visit anyway).

A bit of marketing effort if we were to recruit a top flight Polish rider would bring in Polish fans from across Glasgow, there are many speedway fans that do not attend Ashfield but watch the Ekstraliga.....I know this for a fact.

The whole points limit thing goes, away, we could have retained Basso, Tarasenko for example.

And why can we not race on a Monday or a Thursday?, I just do not get that logic that we need to race on a Friday night...........I mean the difference between watching Sayfutinov on a Monday or a Thursday vs. watching what we currently watch on Friday is surely worth rearranging the set in stone date you get your perm done?

True speedway fans will travel anywhere to watch speedway no matter how far..........and I dare say the casual fan or any new target audience types probably already have better things to do on a Friday night.

The wage bill would be a big factor.They get decent attendance’s.It would have increase a fair big to make it viable IMO.The are not in business to lose money.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, K7KDD said:

As a fan I want the team in the top league, we have the facilities to do it, but if I was the promotion I don't know if I'd want to take the gamble. The Edinburgh fans will probably travel but you are gambling that other championship fans will travel consistently up especially on a week night. Monday/Thursday could also turn parents away who won't want to have their kids home late (we all know how long a Glasgow meeting can be), you know you have a fanbase for weekend racing but weekday racing is a question mark. Getting the likes of Basso and Tarasenko will draw fans but they will also demand more money, in fact all riders will probably demand more and how much does the TV deal cover that and how many fans will not come up if it is on TV. I personally think they should try it but it depends on how much the promotion is willing to spend and the risk that it doesn't work they are willing to take

• Like 1

As long as there's speedway I don't care what league it's in, most definitely I would've loved to see, Doyle, Emil,Tai,the holders,Bewley and now Freddie racing round Ashfield, but as has already been mentioned would the crowd attendances and incoming money offset the expenditure?? Probably not, it's not my money to lose and I'm sure the Facennas will only do it if they can see the benefit.

For those that say we lose the Edinburgh derby or the Berwick and Workington meetings, simple solution, lets pull and Oxford and have a premier and championship team and everyone will be happy, except of course the Facennas who will be out of pocket.

Leon Flint has scored 8+1 from six rides for his Polish club Czestochowa in their 36-54 home defeat against Krosno.

In the same match James Pearson scored 9 from 5.

Edited by screm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cast1rn said:

As long as there's speedway I don't care what league it's in, most definitely I would've loved to see, Doyle, Emil,Tai,the holders,Bewley and now Freddie racing round Ashfield, but as has already been mentioned would the crowd attendances and incoming money offset the expenditure?? Probably not, it's not my money to lose and I'm sure the Facennas will only do it if they can see the benefit.

For those that say we lose the Edinburgh derby or the Berwick and Workington meetings, simple solution, lets pull and Oxford and have a premier and championship team and everyone will be happy, except of course the Facennas who will be out of pocket.

While there is alway a decent away Tigers support in Derby Matches same can’t be said for the rest.In Bandits case probably Fridays have a say in it.

moving up into the prem league would in my eyes get less fans through the gate . increase cost would be no good  for anyone . you need local tracks to compete against on a regular bases ..bad move if it were to come off . as already been mentioned  .  ,,  .if you make the move up , it could be the last move they ever make . but good luck if you do .

2 hours ago, K7KDD said:

I have attended 3 Glasgow home matches this season, 2 at Redcar and 2 at Edinburgh.

Berwick haven't been the visitors in any of the matches I've been at. That's also more meetings than I've been to at Berwick (shifts and family play a part in where I am at certain times).

Just because you aren't wearing a team coat or polo shirt doesn't mean you don't attend as a neutral.

• Like 4

I went up for the U 21 and the racing was fantastic , don’t really need superstars to provide good racing just riders of similar ability.

I was a little surprised at the low turn out but this could have been because the Tigers had just been riding on the two previous nights and fans had already forked out on sway trips to watch their own team.

• Like 2