British Speedway Forum

Glasgow Tigers 2024

29 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

If the conversion rate stays the same surely have to look at guys like bellego and rew on PL 4s coming in to champ on a 6. Bellego in particular had an awful season throughout Europe but is clearly better than a 6 in a potentially weakened champ. 

And I know it never happen but Vadim again on a 5 is surely a must :D

I’ve heard his average will be something like 8.60. I don’t remember the details of how or why, but I’ve been told he won’t be on a 5.

16 hours ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Do not let Chris Harris leave the district of Dorset without signing a contract for next season. Put his 3 year-old son at seven if it means a Harris remains a Tiger.

Always been box office has Bomber, never lost his brilliant bike control, his passion or determination. His previous spell with the Tigers was arguably one of his poorest ever.

4 minutes ago, DiveBomb said:

Think if you stay in championship bring back bomber, Vadim and Brennan as your big hitters. Piper deserves another shot along with complin. Just need a engine room now to fit everyone in..think basso may leave 

There's no way even under the 40 limit could fit Ben and bomber in and be competitive. I think Tom probably needs a new start too. Sadly I only see 2 or 3 of this side staying on. Be an interesting winter ahead. 

Ben should really be looking to bigger and better things. He did what he said he would when he came and got us a title, entitled to go to the big European leagues now without the stress of finding flights on Friday nights/ Saturday mornings 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

There's no way even under the 40 limit could fit Ben and bomber in and be competitive. I think Tom probably needs a new start too. Sadly I only see 2 or 3 of this side staying on. Be an interesting winter ahead. 

Ben should really be looking to bigger and better things. He did what he said he would when he came and got us a title, entitled to go to the big European leagues now without the stress of finding flights on Friday nights/ Saturday mornings 

Ace, Lee, Bomber. Ideally Claus, but even his average might be pushing it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paulco said:

38 is what I've heard , but even that is unacceptable.  They can't keep watering down the Championship and expect the fans to turn up and pay 20 odd quid to get in and watch a load of 6 point riders . 

We've finally got the title monkey off our backs . Time to think hard and see what ambitions we as a club really want . 

Yes the Monday and Thursday thing isn't ideal , but the size of the crowd that turned up at Ashfield last Monday shows what is possible if you have the right opposition . 

We have the facilities , we have the track fit for the Premiership.. Let's bite the bullet and move up 

You're right they drop the points limit and increase entry practically every year and expect the fans just to pay up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

You're right they drop the points limit and increase entry practically every year and expect the fans just to pay up.

And they will continue to get away with it until enough is enough.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Gazc said:

Same as happened to the NL, the product became too much competition to higher tiers so dropped to make the others look better (rather than improving the offerings of the higher divisions) no the CL looks a better product than the Prem it will be cut back.

10 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

If it goes to 38 there's going to be a lot of riders without a spot, just look at Lewi 8.6 too much for Oxfords liking.

Whilst not the worst for team place competition and potentially riders willing to ride for less what will happen is that at the end of the season there will be other riders who end up on inflated averages. Kerr on 8.6 after a 40 limit season vs a.nother on 8.6 after a 38 limit season who did better? 

15 hours ago, Gazc said:

NDL+ is the most affordable level for the majority...

Has been that way for many years but has been avoided, hence teams have been able to pick and choose which league to race in regardless of size and income..

Just like you had stand alone teams in the NDL with a "different agenda" you had Poole and Glasgow (and now Oxford), with a "different level" in the Championship....

For the majority of Championship teams they won't ever compete with the "bigger clubs" who have much larger fan bases and/or sponsors...

And, given the issues facing the likes of Kent and Mildenhall,  maybe a less expensive product to put out will help them join in? (The IOW too possibly?)..

Or at least mean tracks don't move over to NORA, which would be "game over" for the BSPL..

Clear demarcation between the leagues was mentioned last year as one of the aims going forwards, which, given the NDL probably won't exist, only means a clear difference between Divs 1 and 2..

Those "bigger clubs", with Div 1 level attendance's, may have a decision to make... 

• Like 1

Peter Facenna was on the No Brakes No Fear podcast this week (with Bomber and Lee), and he confirmed the club is looking to stay in the Championship. They want to retain the Friday race night because it works well, and they're not convinced it would work commercially to go up to the Premiership.

It's worth a listen: No Brakes, No Fear: The Official British Speedway Podcast – Sport Social Podcast Network (sport-social.co.uk)

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Peter Facenna was on the No Brakes No Fear podcast this week (with Bomber and Lee), and he confirmed the club is looking to stay in the Championship. They want to retain the Friday race night because it works well, and they're not convinced it would work commercially to go up to the Premiership.

It's worth a listen: No Brakes, No Fear: The Official British Speedway Podcast – Sport Social Podcast Network (sport-social.co.uk)

Quite right.You can’t Con a real business man so easily.If Glasgow s operating in his budget why should he change,pay bigger wages for probably minimal increase in Attendance.

6 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Quite right.You can’t Con a real business man so easily.If Glasgow s operating in his budget why should he change,pay bigger wages for probably minimal increase in Attendance.

I was hoping with the rumoured cut in the points limit to 38 that they would have shown a bit more ambition . But so be it 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Paulco said:

I was hoping with the rumoured cut in the points limit to 38 that they would have shown a bit more ambition . But so be it 

Most fans would relish it.But if finances dictate it is probably the right way to go.We will just have to wait and see what the decisions are regarding points limit and leagues.