British Speedway Forum

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

14 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Everybody's got a great plan, a superb solution.  Until they get punched in the nose.

What happens when you have two six-man teams, each using r/r, and there's a four-man pile-up in Heats 1 or 2?

The proof is in the pudding - look at Denmark. They currently run a whole league system off 5 man teams. We should be using this example as one to try and match. 5 riders with the 6th then a British junior completing the team.

British speedways solution to everything, use a sticky plaster without addressing the underlying cause.

It was a different time I know but after the war there was a shortage of riders, did they just make everyone double up? No, they ran programs to encourage new riders to take up the sport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marko said:

British speedways solution to everything, use a sticky plaster without addressing the underlying cause.

It was a different time I know but after the war there was a shortage of riders, did they just make everyone double up? No, they ran programs to encourage new riders to take up the sport.

That's exactly what Neil Vatcher's team is doing with young riders from motocross, grasstrack and elsewhere.

But it takes time.

On 3/31/2024 at 5:45 AM, marko said:

I'll repost this:

The current rider shortage of UK riders is down to one thing Grasstrack both adult & schoolboy it has become almost none exististent in the UK & that is where 80% of all British riders came from. The BSPL should work with the ACU to encourage a revival of ACU clubs to run Grasstrack meetings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I'll repost this:

The current rider shortage of UK riders is down to one thing Grasstrack both adult & schoolboy it has become almost none exististent in the UK & that is where 80% of all British riders came from. The BSPL should work with the ACU to encourage a revival of ACU clubs to run Grasstrack meetings.

As I previously posted a reply, to this, most riders new to speedway now come from Moto X  

51 minutes ago, Neila said:

As I previously posted a reply, to this, most riders new to speedway now come from Moto X  

But nowhere in the quantity that used to come through the grasstrack route

• Like 1

1 hour ago, screm said:

Now that they have been granted a facility, I take it Plymouth are still actively looking for a new rider. 

Probably exhausted all their contacts, but knowing Garry and Mark yes.

On 4/2/2024 at 12:54 AM, crescent girl said:

First meeting

Any reason why all the Championship sides show their team declarations on the British Speedway website, but the Gladiators list is blank?

28 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

Any reason why all the Championship sides show their team declarations on the British Speedway website, but the Gladiators list is blank?

Possibly because they team they've announced may not be the 1-7 that's declared?!

• Haha 1

When Plymouth decided to start their season a couple of weeks later, there was a discussion of how that would affect the BSN series / hold it up. But now Oxford & Scunthorpe have had postponements, with the weather looking very dodgy up in Scotland, doesn't look like Plymouth's delayed start will cause any issues.

13 hours ago, Bellers101 said:

Well looking at this this clubs recent history I wouldn't bank on it.

A very harsh statement. The Plymouth team was announced in good time with all riders fit.

In the very last race in Argentina their No 1 gets a serious injury. By this time no no 1 s were free who were able or willing to race on a Saturday.

It looks as if the original no1 is hoping to be fit enough to ride by mid May.

Perhaps you would like to see them out of speedway all together. Yes it is a long way to Plymouth for visiting fans but te sae can be said for Plymouth supporters of any sports team. If you look at the Plymouth Argyle away support this averages well over 1000.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sherborne Green said:

A very harsh statement. The Plymouth team was announced in good time with all riders fit.

In the very last race in Argentina their No 1 gets a serious injury. By this time no no 1 s were free who were able or willing to race on a Saturday.

It looks as if the original no1 is hoping to be fit enough to ride by mid May.

Perhaps you would like to see them out of speedway all together. Yes it is a long way to Plymouth for visiting fans but te sae can be said for Plymouth supporters of any sports team. If you look at the Plymouth Argyle away support this averages well over 1000.

Speedway is struggling for clubs unfortunately. If there were more teams in the top two divisions Plymouth would be banished back to the NDL where they belong.

• Sad 1