British Speedway Forum

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2024 at 1:36 PM, szkocjasid said:

One downside of this, apart from starting off weaker, is when Covatti is fit, will he be able to return to the team under the limit? If the other riders increase their averages, could block his return to the team.

Don't forget, team averages increase by 0.5 point per month from 1st May

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheScotsman said:

Now that was "proper speedway..." not the rubbish we get served nowadays!

Hmmmmm was it really any better though? Not sure myself, probably seemed it as stadiums were packed full with great atmospheres but the actual action was no better IMO.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Hmmmmm was it really any better though? Not sure myself, probably seemed it as stadiums were packed full with great atmospheres but the actual action was no better IMO.

Begs the question why were the stadiums "packed full" then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Because houses cost £3.50 and wages were somewhat more aligned with cost of living, unlike today? Probably the main reason...

Other factors include lack of media coverage and gob rodfrey

On 3/3/2024 at 1:36 PM, szkocjasid said:

One downside of this, apart from starting off weaker, is when Covatti is fit, will he be able to return to the team under the limit? If the other riders increase their averages, could block his return to the team.

6 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Don't forget, team averages increase by 0.5 point per month from 1st May

Not forgotten about that, just that teams should average out at 42 but the increase stops at 40, so could get the situation where wesl teams can't strengthen up.

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Probably a cheaper time it's more commercial now and more costs involved in running a team,the racing is still the same maybe a few seconds faster but your Ivan Maugers,Super Simmo,Barry Briggs etc are your Doyle's janowski and Zmarzlik of today.

So back to the topic at hand, with Plymouth set to host their first meeting at home to Poole in 3 and a half weeks. Will we have a new number one announced (temporary or permanent) and will the new look track be ready to go to give the Plymouth lads a chance to actually ride it before Poole do!? I see on the Plymouth forum someone suggesting the track won't be ready until May, not sure if that's true or speculation but maybe that would allow Covatti to be fit in time to prevent Plymouth needing a replacement?

All very quiet at the moment, which isn't necessarily a good thing!

2 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Mainly, in my opinion, because people didn’t have the vast amount of recreational choices that are available today

Agreed, but they (seem to) choose those other recreational choice, rather than attend speedway.

Apologies for helping to go "off thread"!!

2 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

So back to the topic at hand, with Plymouth set to host their first meeting at home to Poole in 3 and a half weeks. Will we have a new number one announced (temporary or permanent) and will the new look track be ready to go to give the Plymouth lads a chance to actually ride it before Poole do!? I see on the Plymouth forum someone suggesting the track won't be ready until May, not sure if that's true or speculation but maybe that would allow Covatti to be fit in time to prevent Plymouth needing a replacement?

All very quiet at the moment, which isn't necessarily a good thing!

Agreed, seems way too quiet but hopefully everything is in hand. Really hoping they have a better season. We’ve lost too many tracks in the South recently

• Like 1

I’ve seen him racing quite regularly on the Isle of Wight and yes he’s back to full fitness.  Tbh all the chat on here has proven that there is hardly anyone available on the right average so I’d give him a chance and then swap Covatti back in if it doesn’t work out 

Edited by Marky_Mark
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

I wonder if Plymouth are going to get Mark Clattenburg at some meetings to say 'Gladiators ready!...' before each race. I would pay to watch that! :D

You're easily pleased lol

• Like 1