British Speedway Forum

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

20 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Kyle was in the original line-up having decided to let Steve Worrall go, but then Tom Brennan became available and it all changed - unfortunately affecting Anders and Kyle.

Kyle will still have his testimonial at Wimborne Road though - probably one of the early meetings with Richard Lawson's scheduled for later in the season!

PS. Is Sedgman the new number 1?;)

Honestly mate, I have no idea. What I do no is I don’t want Wilson dean I’m glad Kyle will have his testimonial at Wimborne road as I no the fans appreciate him and I hope he does a great job for us.

Nico Covatti is confirmed as the No. 1.

It’s clear from the comments on every signing that all was not well in the pits last season, too many personality’s but this year, Garry clearly has assembled a team who he thinks are going to graft and fight for every point. It might not have the team of names and stars like other teams but Plymouth won’t be push overs.

Plenty of room for improvement on averages across the course of the season and us supporters, as long as we see the team fighting for everything on the track then that’s all we can ask for. Us Bar Bandits will be right behind the team once again making our voices heard at home and more importantly away. We can’t wait to get out and support the Gladiators in 2024 and good news, we’ve some new songs planned for you all to hear at your respective tracks ;)

• Like 2

So it's Covatti, Bowtell, Newman, D Thompson, Barker, J Thompson and Hook - Not the team I'd have thought we'd be putting together and I think we're going to struggle in a lot of heat 13s and 15s both home and away but hopefully, with a strong(ish) reserve pair we can make up for it in other heats. Lots of improvement from the non-heat leaders required!

4 minutes ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Do we know his starting average? I'm assuming he'll be doubling up then as can't see him coming over just to ride championship.

The official announcement says he's prepared to double up if an opportunity arises. Otherwise flying in and out for Championship matches!

18 minutes ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

So it's Covatti, Bowtell, Newman, D Thompson, Barker, J Thompson and Hook - Not the team I'd have thought we'd be putting together and I think we're going to struggle in a lot of heat 13s and 15s both home and away but hopefully, with a strong(ish) reserve pair we can make up for it in other heats. Lots of improvement from the non-heat leaders required!

It looks a really poor team,surprised Howarth hasn't returned.

21 minutes ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

To be fair you have 3 young riders in the Thompson twins and Hook all capable of progressing next season. 

It’s seems I might be on my own on this one but I reckon signing Covatti has completely transformed this team. I think the Gladiators will put an end to the expectation that they’ll be easy meat on their home turf. 
As long as they remain injury free, the blend of youth and experience plus Garry May’s expertise should see Plymouth top half in 2024. IMO

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Anyone who saw Covatti at the OTA  in 2019 will know what a truly spectacular and special sight he was in full flow. 

Him and Barker in 13 and 15 won't be pushovers and will certainly be entertaining 

Plymouth will have one of if not the best reserve pairings all season based of averages and form so strong in equally key heats 

It's really a case of Newman and Bowtell riding well to support top 2 and the other 3 progressing. 

It's clearly not the awful team some doom mongers are predicting and lots of entertainment Probable. 

Edited by HGould
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think it's a really dangerous side. It's not perfect but there's plenty of progression for this team to get better. Super strong at reserve and some steady Eddie's in the side that will score plenty of points. But do they have enough though to go to places like Poole and Glasgow in a play off semi final and win? Not so sure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FishersGate said:

I think it's a really dangerous side. It's not perfect but there's plenty of progression for this team to get better. Super strong at reserve and some steady Eddie's in the side that will score plenty of points. But do they have enough though to go to places like Poole and Glasgow in a play off semi final and win? Not so sure. 

You don't have to win at these tracks to become Champions, just win big at home!

Anyway I'd suggest a mid-table season would be deemed a successful season by most involved with Plymouth.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

It’s seems I might be on my own on this one but I reckon signing Covatti has completely transformed this team. I think the Gladiators will put an end to the expectation that they’ll be easy meat on their home turf. 
As long as they remain injury free, the blend of youth and experience plus Garry May’s expertise should see Plymouth top half in 2024. IMO

They're certainly not as bad as some are making out. You could argue Plymouth's reserves are on a par with Glasgow's second strings!

• Like 3