British Speedway Forum

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

SCB STATEMENT: NICO COVATTI

TUESDAY, JUNE 4, 2024

On Monday 3rd June 2024 the Speedway Control Bureau (SCB) were informed that Plymouth rider Nicolas Covatti had competed in the Totalizator ZZ MO Krsko Open meeting in Slovenia the previous day competing in 5 races and scoring 8 points which included a race win and two second places.

With Plymouth already having a facility for Mr Covatti on Saturday 1st June in their BSN fixture versus Poole due to missing with a speedway injury, informed the Plymouth Promotion that Mr Covatti had to be in attendance for Plymouth’s next fixture which is scheduled for Tuesday 4th June.

On informing the Plymouth Promotion that Mr Covatti had to attend the next Plymouth fixture, the SCB had in writing from Mr Covatti that he was still not ready to race in the Championship as was still suffering with the effects of his injuries that he received in March in his National Championship in Argentina.

Therefore, as Mr Covatti is refusing to come back to the UK to race for his British Club although currently riding in events in Europe the SCB have no alternative than to suspend his SCB Registration for a period of 28 days for failing to attend a fixture listed on the Official fixture list as per SCB Regulation 017.2 i)

The Plymouth club will receive a facility for the same period 28 days as per SCB Regulation 010.5 j)

The Plymouth club have been informed that the facility will not be extended, therefore at the end of the 28 days either Mr Covatti must return or be replaced.

Is this last bit correct? Surely under the rules they could use a 75% guest of he doesn't return in 28 days?

6 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

TUESDAY, JUNE 4, 2024

On Monday 3rd June 2024 the Speedway Control Bureau (SCB) were informed that Plymouth rider Nicolas Covatti had competed in the Totalizator ZZ MO Krsko Open meeting in Slovenia the previous day competing in 5 races and scoring 8 points which included a race win and two second places.

With Plymouth already having a facility for Mr Covatti on Saturday 1st June in their BSN fixture versus Poole due to missing with a speedway injury, informed the Plymouth Promotion that Mr Covatti had to be in attendance for Plymouth’s next fixture which is scheduled for Tuesday 4th June.

On informing the Plymouth Promotion that Mr Covatti had to attend the next Plymouth fixture, the SCB had in writing from Mr Covatti that he was still not ready to race in the Championship as was still suffering with the effects of his injuries that he received in March in his National Championship in Argentina.

Therefore, as Mr Covatti is refusing to come back to the UK to race for his British Club although currently riding in events in Europe the SCB have no alternative than to suspend his SCB Registration for a period of 28 days for failing to attend a fixture listed on the Official fixture list as per SCB Regulation 017.2 i)

The Plymouth club will receive a facility for the same period 28 days as per SCB Regulation 010.5 j)

The Plymouth club have been informed that the facility will not be extended, therefore at the end of the 28 days either Mr Covatti must return or be replaced.

Is this last bit correct? Surely under the rules they could use a 75% guest of he doesn't return in 28 days?

It’s all a bit of joke.Nothing new though.

19 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

TUESDAY, JUNE 4, 2024

It might be different when withholding services? Rather than when struggling to sign a replacement because of an injury before they done a meeting. 

33 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Obviously trying to avoid a repeat of the "Kennett" situation?

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Obviously trying to avoid a repeat of the "Kennett" situation?

I'm not sure of they rules were changed after the season long guests for Kennett? I always read on here someone saying they have, but heard an interview with a Redcar promoter suggesting clubs talked about changing it, but realised there wouldn't be riders available to replace heat leaders, so didn't change it?

Regardless sometimes rules aren't clear, when Anders Rowe left Leicester in 2022 I think, they had 28 days to sign a replacement (Max Clegg) because he was "withholding his services" but the same season when Claus Vissing didn't turn up for Birmingham they continued to use guests (or r/r) after 28 days.

If you appear to have different rulings for the same situation, how can we ever truly understand the rules?

Edited by szkocjasid

1 hour ago, lbw said:

I can see Richie Worrall signing in July as I understand his ban will have been served .

Not sure if he had a fine to pay as well?

Yes he did,and it was increased due to his comments on Social Media.Dont know if he has paid it yet.

9 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Yes he did, and it was increased due to his comments on Social Media.    Dont know if he has paid it yet.

When the ban is served, he will have to pay the fine before he can resume racing,

Or have it paid for him by a promoter who is desperate to have him riding...........

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

When the ban is served, he will have to pay the fine before he can resume racing,

Or have it paid for him by a promoter who is desperate to have him riding...........

There could be a few Promotions that might pay it.

Plymouth should never have been given a facility in the first place as Plymouth had ample time to a sign a cover IMO. Now they get a facility for the same rider who doesn't seem to fancy Plymouth on a Tuesday night.

• Like 2

I don't think that's right. He was fined £1,500, payable by the end of November 2023.

Additionally, he must personally pay for regular testing for two months before the ban is lifted.

He was banned for 9 months from 5 September, with another 30 day ban added for his social media comments.

Therefore, the earliest he can return is around 5 July, if he has submitted to the testing protocol.

I would assume payment of the fine is also necessary, but no SCB statement states anything more about this. Only that the fine was sue within 30 days of the original hearing (1 November 2023).

3 hours ago, Noelinho said:

I don't think that's right. He was fined £1,500, payable by the end of November 2023.

Additionally, he must personally pay for regular testing for two months before the ban is lifted.

He was banned for 9 months from 5 September, with another 30 day ban added for his social media comments.

Therefore, the earliest he can return is around 5 July, if he has submitted to the testing protocol.

I would assume payment of the fine is also necessary, but no SCB statement states anything more about this. Only that the fine was sue within 30 days of the original hearing (1 November 2023).

I'm sure the fine was increased to £4500 due to social media posts.