British Speedway Forum

Warsaw GP Saturday 11th May 2024

48 minutes ago, iainb said:

And I thought this was all going to be a thing of the past after Brexit :D

I may be being pedantic, but it was not televised, it was streamed.

A lot of the more senior folk out there would not have been able to see this if they didn't have an Internet connection and if they did they've still got to work out how to install the app and watch it through that. Why do you think the majority of "Television" programmes are still transmitted in a linear fashion. 

Not everybody is setup to watch streamed events. Eurosport 1 was available and hasn't it been switched to Quest in the past?

So this weekend we've had a "sprint" race not televised and only open to 999 people and a World Championship Grand Prix not televised a new low point for the SGP series under WBD

You better get used to all tv being streamed. From what I have read it will all come down a wire of some sort in the not too far distant future!

See https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/future-of-tv-distribution#:~:text=The average person spent 25,2034 and 27% by 2040.

Edited by Happy Hunter
Added link

20 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

You better get used to all tv being streamed. From what I have read it will all come down a wire of some sort in the not too far distant future!

See https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/future-of-tv-distribution#:~:text=The average person spent 25,2034 and 27% by 2040.

I sincerely hope not... I'm going to be spending half my time round my old mums house sorting her TV out!

1 hour ago, NickB said:

It was televised, in full, with no ad breaks and multiple commentary (or not) options and also on demand after the event  on a channel owned by WBD.  The option is there for you to watch it, just requires a £7 monthly outlay with premiership action also included, I would suggest this represents far better value than Sky / BT subscriptions in the past.

I bet the GP sponsors...

And the riders individual sponsors..

Are delighted to see their investment, and brand, getting seen by a lot less people than they would have expected when they laid out the not inconsiderable sums they do..

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

I thought that was already happening!

have you heard of programmable digital money, it gives more control to the banks , as if they dont have enough already.

23 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I bet the GP sponsors...

And the riders individual sponsors..

Are delighted to see their investment, and brand, getting seen by a lot less people than they would have expected when they laid out the not inconsiderable sums they do..

Not to mention WBD themselves, promoting the big launch of the SGP-Verse... whatever the hell it is?!? Which makes it such a strange decision for a company with so many TV channels available to them. 

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Not to mention WBD themselves, promoting the big launch of the SGP-Verse... whatever the hell it is?!? Which makes it such a strange decision for a company with so many TV channels available to them. 

We took over the coverage of Speedway 

As we thought, till now, twas a farce.

But when a car race ran over time..

Covering the Speedway, we couldnt be arsed..

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

One should remember that here in the UK  we have been lucky in recent years since DSE took over to actually be able to watch it on Eurosport. If one takes Poland for example, the promoters only show the home GP’s on channel TTT whilst all the others the Poles have to watch on Eurosport player/Discovery +

Edited by racers and royals

37 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

One should remember that here in the UK  we have been lucky in recent years since DSE took over to actually be able to watch it on Eurosport. If one takes Poland for example, the promoters only show the home GP’s on channel TTT whilst all the others the Poles have to watch on Eurosport player/Discovery +

We have been lucky to have dodged WBD/DSE for so long I suppose. How long have they got it for?

Edited by iainb

6 hours ago, NickB said:

It was televised, in full, with no ad breaks and multiple commentary (or not) options and also on demand after the event  on a channel owned by WBD.  The option is there for you to watch it, just requires a £7 monthly outlay with premiership action also included, I would suggest this represents far better value than Sky / BT subscriptions in the past.

So I should pay out an extra £7 a month to guarantee being able to watch a delayed broadcast of an event that is scheduled to be shown live on a channel included in my TV package from Virgin ?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

So I should pay out an extra £7 a month to guarantee being able to watch a delayed broadcast of an event that is scheduled to be shown live on a channel included in my TV package from Virgin ?

I would yes. We have a summer coming up with the summer Olympics, Tennis etc. Have a look at my post on the Landshut GP on Saturday thread.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

If you like your Speedway then I suggest you do, you shouldn't have to but treat it as insurance. Another negative though is that the Discovery+ app only seems to stream stereo sound where as it's transmitted in DD5.1 on linear (Unless I've got a setting wrong somewhere)

So in the UK we have to pay to watch t v and the beneficiary is the gay black left wing BBC (you only have to have seen Eurovision or any awards ceremony and the WASP is no longer represented, the BBC is bending over backwards to pacify) and no one has any choice about paying for a service you do not want or watch. In terms of viewing,  to see anything else you have to pay even more be it Sky or a streaming service and even then if you have a particular service such as Sky and you want to watch the content such as live speedway you pay a further fee because the broadcaster wants to screw the punter with further charges yet you can watch some crap on Eurosport for free and have speedway dumped despite it being advertised as a programme. Who sold the sport down the line and decided to screw those who want to watch international speedway without pay more than once for the opportunity, was it the FIM or the sponsors of the GP? Whoever it was the punter is being taken for a ride. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, DaveWayne said:

If you pay Virgin for a package that is expected to show speedway GPs then get in touch with Virgin.

Discovery+ is not a belayed viewing of speedway gp. It started 5:30 at Warsaw which is 30 minutes before scheduled meeting start time.

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

If you pay Virgin for a package that is expected to show speedway GPs then get in touch with Virgin.

Discovery+ is not a belayed viewing of speedway gp. It started 5:30 at Warsaw which is 30 minutes before scheduled meeting start time.

What a ridiculous suggestion to contact Virgin !! The people to contact are Eurosport and WBD/DSE asking why they treated Speedway so badly last Saturday and why they didn’t put it on Eurosport 1.  

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

What a ridiculous suggestion to contact Virgin !! The people to contact are Eurosport and WBD/DSE asking why they treated Speedway so badly last Saturday and why they didn’t put it on Eurosport 1.  

You'll just be fobbed off with a standard statement to the effect of TV schedules are subject to change without prior notice etc. etc. blah, blah, blah

3 hours ago, racers and royals said:

His legal contract is with Virgin. If they advertised and sold a package that promised to include Speedway GPs then it Virgin he should go at….not fulfilling a contract.

• Like 1