British Speedway Forum

Brummies

2 hours ago, *JJ said:

He rode for the Brummies in 2014 ,...

That famous Norwegian international - Reidar Replacement? :D

Obviously, some weight to this rumour as the official Brummies site have blanked out their Stats page for that year, to keep everyone guessing.
https://www.birmingham-speedway.com/statistics14 

Edited by uk_martin

BRUMMIES 50 BELLE VUE 40

Wednesday June 11, 2014
action14_bir_bv4.jpg
BIRMINGHAM brought the house down with a brilliant performance to beat glamour boys Belle Vue 50-40 at Perry Barr on Wednesday.

The Selco Brummies gave a solid all-round team performance to send the fans home in jubilant mood after moving off the foot of the table.

It was a meeting which had everything - good racing, close scoreline, great atmosphere and dry weather!

It was another hugely encouraging showing for Jack Lee's men as they continue their upturn in form.

Team boss Lee was full of praise for his side - highlighting some skilled team riding as a particular positive - and he is keen to see them now start climbing the Elite League table.

Said Lee: "It was a really big three points for us to move us off the bottom of the table, and to beat a strong Belle Vue side by ten points was a brilliant result.

"It was a great team effort with some impressive performances all around, so it was a really positive night for us.

"There was some superb team riding which was good to see and proved important for us in the end.

"It's a shame we have a bit of a break until our next meeting now, but we are beginning to build up some confidence so hopefully we can start climbing the league table."

British duo Ben Barker and Danny King led the Selco Brummies superbly with double figure scores as they continued their flying form - yet they received good support throughout as the hosts put in a strong team display.

Experienced Swede Daniel Nermark helped his side get off to a solid start with wins in his opening two rides, the second paid as he brilliantly shepherded home reserve Simon Lambert for a big 5-1 in heat seven.

Lambert also out in an impressive showing to help bolster the lower order, whilst partner Paul Starke bounced back from a poor start to win his final ride in composed fashion.

Nico Covatti battled hard for a solid contribution in the middle order, winning heat eight in impressive style as the Brummies struck back to back 5-1s to give themselves the upper hand.

New signing Bartosz Zmarzlik also put in an extremely promising display on his full debut for the club, comfortably winning heat ten on his way to five points from the tough No.1 position.

Overall it was an excellent night for Birmingham, ensuring they will enter a ten day spell without a meeting high on confidence.

BIRMINGHAM 50: Danny King 11+2, Ben Barker 10+3, Daniel Nermark 8+1, Paul Starke 7, Nico Covatti 5, Bartosz Zmarzlik 5, Simon Lambert 4+1.

BELLE VUE 40: Matej Zagar 11, Stefan Nielsen 9+1, Richie Worrall 8+1, Scott Nicholls 6, Michael Palm Toft 3, Craig Cook 2+1, Lee Payne 1.

Elite League points: Birmingham 3 Belle Vue 0

Nigel Tolley sounded very downbeat tonight. Plan is still to run Prem next year, but seemed very doubtful about reaching a satisfactory agreement with the landlords, and actually raised the spectre of tonight being the last ever meeting at Perry Barr.

• Sad 2

I really hope Nigel can come to some sort of agreement with his landlord for 2024, but I get the feeling whatever happens Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium has a very limited life span left, so Nigel is left between a rock and a hard place. He seems to have very few options which appear to be remain at Perry Barr short term and probably (based on the last 4 years) lose more money, move on and go all out to find an alternative site I really don't envy him whatever he decides to do, Good luck.

Edited by heathen52
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I really feel sorry for Nigel. You’d think apart from the usual business like challenges running a speedway club would be fun. Running Birmingham Speedway feels almost like bordering on the impossible !

Edited by Deano
  • Like 2

In a summer in 2024 dominated by football and Olympics in the key main summer months it would be hard to attract floating supporters anyway. 

I think you might get 200 or so curious from Wolves and keen to see live Speedway but it's hard to justify Nigel losing another large sum for a further 12 months of uncertainty. 

Mayor and Councils talk a lot but it may take Wolves and Brummies closing to force the Mayor's hand in reelection year and similarly respective Councils. 

Worrying times as has been for a while... 

11 hours ago, arnieg said:

Nigel Tolley sounded very downbeat tonight. Plan is still to run Prem next year, but seemed very doubtful about reaching a satisfactory agreement with the landlords, and actually raised the spectre of tonight being the last ever meeting at Perry Barr.

It was a truly shocking and unhappy announcement. :unsure:

Edited by False dawn

Let's be honest I don't think tolley can have done much more to keep the brummies alive. He's been given stick on his rider choices but without him Birmingham would have been gone years ago. 

One of the main issue's is the lack of supporters. Its alright moaning about the landlord and what not but the support at Birmingham is absolutely terrible. You can have a great track, landlord and team but if the support is crap then what's the point?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

Let's be honest I don't think tolley can have done much more to keep the brummies alive. He's been given stick on his rider choices but without him Birmingham would have been gone years ago. 

One of the main issue's is the lack of supporters. Its alright moaning about the landlord and what not but the support at Birmingham is absolutely terrible. You can have a great track, landlord and team but if the support is crap then what's the point?

Main trouble is the sport isn’t attracting newcomers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heathen52 said:

I really hope Nigel can come to some sort of agreement with his landlord for 2024, but I get the feeling whatever happens Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium has a very limited life span left, so Nigel is left between a rock and a hard place. He seems to have very few options which appear to be remain at Perry Barr short term and probably (based on the last 4 years) lose more money, move on and go all out to find an alternative site I really don't envy him whatever he decides to do, Good luck.

Tbf, he knew about these issues before he took over. 

1 hour ago, FishersGate said:

Its his, or his teams job to get the support in though. Has he done enough?