British Speedway Forum

Brummies

6 minutes ago, DiveBomb said:

That podcast did make me realise how bad their team building is though. Yes they are on a smaller budget but they were still banging on about how they thought that team could challenge for the play offs. They need to hire someone like Peter Adams to build a reliable team. 

They need riders that people want to see at the club. I'd be on the phone now to bomber and make him captain. May as well take tarasenko along with him. I think Birmingham will play it safe but also have a reliable side next year. 

Here's a one that took 2 mins to think of

Masters, Pickering, Harris, Tarasenko, Z Cook, Sedgmen, RS. Not a title winning team but at least at home it would be strong. 

Masters is Leicester bound along with becker

no thanks on sedgmen 

Edited by the hobbit

2 hours ago, the hobbit said:

Let’s hope so as Nigel is willing to spend the money. 
the biggest problem last year was letting Laurence rogers have a say in team building ,he’s clueless on that front  . 
just don’t let Laurence Rogers have any involvement in team building. and we may have a chance . 

He's allegedly if you put together all of his articles and comments on Speedway Star spent in the region of 200k.

No stadium or land to show for it, no trophies, lost money almost every meeting he's staged and totally in the lap of landlords in terms of future. 

Not his fault sums up the sport. 

If he goes PL even with TV money probably need another 100k. Thought the gate, sponsorship or investment. 

He said he needed 1000 to break even in CL what would PL be.. 1500?

Thats 1000 more than most weeks now. 

Edited by HGould
spelling

Just now, DiveBomb said:

I suppose though the fact he agreed to sign riders than then rejected the move for more money. 

I believe it was "close to signing tarasenko" was mentioned above. He was signed late August, why would he have gone to Brum for no play offs :blink:. I think a man whose thrown 200k down a hole (however well meaning it is) for 0 rewards should be careful about bringing up the finances of others 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DiveBomb said:

Lambert to leicester was agreed last year but apparently the Bates said no. He would be an amazing signing. 

Does anyone have any news or ideas about who is actually going to be running Leicester next season

Bates are selling. Assume Helmsley won't want to take it back. 

Would any with Peterborough connections be interested, what about CVS and Adams, Tolley, Matt Ford,Terry Russell? 

It's gone quiet or has it? 

18 minutes ago, HGould said:

Does anyone have any news or ideas about who is actually going to be running Leicester next season

Bates are selling. Assume Helmsley won't want to take it back. 

Would any with Peterborough connections be interested, what about CVS and Adams, Tolley, Matt Ford,Terry Russell? 

It's gone quiet or has it? 

All I can say is I'm confident leicester are running next year

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I believe it was "close to signing tarasenko" was mentioned above. He was signed late August, why would he have gone to Brum for no play offs :blink:. I think a man whose thrown 200k down a hole (however well meaning it is) for 0 rewards should be careful about bringing up the finances of others 

It may surprise some fans but Promoters do talk to each other regularly both in  one to one discussions as well as the monthly Team meetings. They all have a pretty good idea of each others finances, especially what is paid to riders!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DiveBomb said:

All I can say is I'm confident leicester are running next year

Mr Tolley said Dickson would still be TM at Leicester plus he's been offered another TM job at another Championship club?! Will he being going back to his Scottish roots?

2 hours ago, eric i said:

strange nobody seems to pick up on the fact it is the council who are pushing to get Perry Barr developed asap, despite councillors publicly protesting.

It's a strange situation. Normally a council would be passive about these developments. It could just be that there was some blame shifting going on, with the land owner not wanting to be seen as being "pushy", so putting the blame onto the council in conversation. It's all so easy blaming someone else who isn't in a position to answer back if it makes you appear to be the good guy.

Bear in mind that the Council OFFICERS who process planning applications are not the same thing as the local councillors. The local councillors will swing to where they will pick up most votes, that's their job. We also have to remember that these councillors also originally opposed the reintroduction of speedway into Perry Barr, so don't expect any huge loyalty from them. The local councillors are LibDems who are often kept in the dark by the ruling LABOUR Council, so this planning application came as much of a shock to them as it did to anyone else.

There's also the Perry Barr 2040 Plan to consider, if anyone has the first idea of what stage of its consultation process it is currently at.   https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/50253/perry_barr_regeneration/2388/perry_barr_2040_a_vision_for_legacy 
That plan has a stated aim of opening up access to the River Tame, so redeveloping the stadium according to the plans submitted will fit in with that. On the other hand, the plan states the desire to "make opportunities for place activation, cultural, heritage and other activities which create a vibrant place", for which the retention of the stadium would be ideal.

Maybe with the council also now being technically bankrupt, they see the processing of a Planning Application and the fees that they charge for it, the income would be welcomed. Receiving income in the way of Planning Application Fees and actually GRANTING planning permission though, those are two different things.